Steering wheel removal from Seastar helm

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thought I would post this since a wheel puller won't fit and all the online folks claim that striking the center shaft with a hammer while pulling will dislodge it. It wont.
A little heat with a mini torch and an air hammer on the center shaft while pullingEz-Pz.Resized_20200611_221015.jpeg

seasick

Reaction score
were you able to get the bushing? If so, from whom?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Unfortunately the THT lore is not true. There is no bushing. However one can replace the assembly for a mere $300 or a THT fellow claims 90% of the movement can be eliminated with a brass washer behind the snap ring. I think I'll try option "b" 1st.

seasick

Reaction score
That was my understanding for the mechanical boxes but I thought that the steering mentioned was hydraulic. Don't know where that thought came from.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
There is no bushing but there is a seal. If you leak fluid out the front of the shaft that seal can be replaced.

Glad you got the wheel off. I had to destroy the plastic cover of the tilt mechanism to get a puller behind the wheel.

Mine had some black electric tape on shaft from PO to make it not wobble. I need to put some there because everything is new and the whell still wobbles & squeaks slightly

Meanwhile

Reaction score
There is no bushing but there is a seal. If you leak fluid out the front of the shaft that seal can be replaced.

Glad you got the wheel off. I had to destroy the plastic cover of the tilt mechanism to get a puller behind the wheel.

Mine had some black electric tape on shaft from PO to make it not wobble. I need to put some there because everything is new and the whell still wobbles & squeaks slightly
Wobbles and squeaks?

Mine did that and then totally seized up. It turned out a bolt within the tilt had backed out and lodged in the works. You might want to check it again. YMMV

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Wobbles and squeaks?

Mine did that and then totally seized up. It turned out a bolt within the tilt had backed out and lodged in the works. You might want to check it again. YMMV
no, its absolutely just play of the wheel on the shaft. Helm is brand new. The wheel is original. Doesn't seat tight enough on the shaft

Reactions: Meanwhile

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander

I'm going to attempt to shim mine now. I'll let you all know if it accomplishes anything.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I actually just replaced my helm with a new one. I went to AutoZone and found a wheel puller that worked. My old wheel fitted snugly on the new seastar 1.7 tilt helm. Good luck .

wrxhoon

Reaction score
They have a plastic like bushing to the wheel doesn't wobble. when the bushing wears the wheel will wobble somewhat.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Yep, AutoZone has the small puller that won't damage the plastic. I ended up buying it vs renting. Helm wasn't hard to rebuild.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
They have a plastic like bushing to the wheel doesn't wobble. when the bushing wears the wheel will wobble somewhat.
Is yours the fixed mount or tilt? I've read fixed mount has a replaceable bushing, while the tilt style does not.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I actually just replaced my helm with a new one. I went to AutoZone and found a wheel puller that worked. My old wheel fitted snugly on the new seastar 1.7 tilt helm. Good luck .
Curious to know what style assembly you have. My tilt assembly at best has 1/16" clearance to get under it. No puller exist to enable getting under it either externally or internally.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I shimmed up the steering shaft perfectly, but it can never be that easy. I had to use a bronze thrust washer to make this happen. The galvanic charts suggest bronze can not be in contact with aluminum. I believe the tilt housing is aluminum (need to put a magnet on it)and the bronze washer is touching it, so it needs to come back apart. I swear I've seen bronze swaged fittings in my motorcycle frames, but maybe I'm mistaken.
Anyone have experience with a lubricated bronze part in contact with Aluminum? I've wondered if the lube will sufficiently isolate the materials. Seasick, what say you?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Curious to know what style assembly you have. My tilt assembly at best has 1/16" clearance to get under it. No puller exist to enable getting under it either externally or internally.

The plastic moves a little. I have the same assembly and the small puller worked just fine.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Is yours the fixed mount or tilt? I've read fixed mount has a replaceable bushing, while the tilt style does not.
This was in my old 228 and it was tilt helm, I had a bush made on the lathe from similar material, she still good until I sold the boat .

Last edited:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The puller I got has a harden bolt in the center and these 3 legs that span out and have claw finger like that hooks under the spokes of the wheel. The center cap of the wheel pops off and the bolt in the middle pushes against the top of the shaft. I took a wrench and turned it until the wheel popped.