Stereo, and shore radio questions

Vince

Reaction score
My 2001 268 islander has a Panasonic stereo, the boat also has the remote built in near the berth door. The stereo seems to have been replaced before as there are 2 face plate containers. To the point, stereo barely works, any suggestion on replacement?

Also my shore radio turns on but receives no channels, is this a radio or antenna issue. Or both

Thanks, Vince

Fishtales

Reaction score
Get a marine stereo, the environment is too tough for an auto stereo. Everyone seems to rave about the Fusion these days. If you are into your sound, check them out. If not, there are lower cost options out there. Might be good to pull the existing out to understand the rough opening dimensions and either match a new one up or look at face plates options.

Vince

Reaction score
Ok will do thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
"Barely" works... what does that mean? A stereo typically works or doesn't work - not halfway in between. But, anything is possible. You have two other variables - the speakers themselves, and the wiring/connectors. If any of those things are out of whack, performance is diminished. I'd start with inspecting the speakers and then the connectors/wiring.

VHF... since you said you get "no channels"... a VHF will usually still pull in the weather channels, even without the antenna. Since you don't even get those, then it makes sense that the VHF is bad. You may still have an antenna issue - but at this point, based on the info you provided, the VHF is no good.

Vince

Reaction score
So on my radio, only cat country comes in, I like country music but... and the volume will not adjust on the unit.

My vhf shows all the channels has static but no signal

Vince

Reaction score
I do, its really weathered but it's there and connected to the radio, I just unplugged it and unplugged it

Vince

Reaction score
Just put new hinges on , it's the small thinks:)

Attachments

• 20200328_125102.jpg
    20200328_125102.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So on my radio, only cat country comes in, I like country music but... and the volume will not adjust on the unit.
Ummm... I think you answered your own question on whether the stereo works, or not! :) For replacement - yes, the Fusions have been all the rage, but not cheap. It all depends on your budget and what features you want. It's kinda like the threads of "which is the best oil"... no such thing - it's all personal preference. Most, nowadays, will have Bluetooth - which is probably something you'd want.

For the VHF - see what I wrote above. Based on your info, the VHF is no good.

seasick

Reaction score
Where is the boat? There may not be a lot of radio traffic. You can try transmitting a Radio Check message on the Automated Radio Check Channel if supported in your area. You will have to look up the channel number. Boat US and Sea Tow have info on their web sites.
The nice thing is that you send a message like Radio Check, 'this is rubber ducky :) and wait a little bit. The station will rebroadcast your message. That way you will know if both transmit and receive aer working

Vince

Reaction score
Ya, my surveyor tried this at sea, no response, even at the dock there was a doc hand with a portable radio and the test did Not go over.

seasick

Reaction score
Well that kind of says it all. Maybe a good thing, a new radio with DSC signalling is a good thing

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check the power first to ensure the radio is getting it. Make sure the connection to the radio is proper. With the radio on look for the backlight display, if you adjust the squelch down and you still don't get anything, I'm guessing the radio is shot. It happens time to time. If you get a new radio, get an antenna as well.

Vince

Reaction score
Ya it has display, but just static, white noise. Thanks