Stereo Replacement

hinmo

Reaction score
Any recommendations?
Want to replace my system with an upgrade....hopefully retain existing speaker locations and holes ....looks like a set of 6 inch speakers in the cockpit/helm area and a set of 5 inch in the cabin. Current stereo head is mounted inside the cabin by the power panel on my 1999 GW Marlin. Its ok there, but would like remote capability from the aft deck.
CD player and blue tooth desired for smartphone connection.
Something that sounds great for around $500? Whatcha got?

thx

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I was looking at the same choice but I have like a 2-3” hole on the dash that it all ties to. I bought a round unit, nothing expensive, with bluetooth and a usb port, for my iphone....but the dash unit runs a wire back to the head unit so...gotta rethink how I want to handle it heh...or re-run the speakers.

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We went with the fusion BB-100 and got rid of the head unit. Its all remote and we can actually run through our Garmin on the NMEA 2000 network. we put the fusion remote on our helm dash.

Reactions: Viking88rd

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hinmo,
Fusion head and JL Audio Speakers is what I went with, but no way to get all that for $500.
West Marine had both Fusion and JL Audio speaker as demos in store. Was easy to hear the sound difference (was actually surprised). Fusion sounded a bit muted/boxey, and JL Audio were very open/crisp. And they were twice the price of Fusion Speakers. This is subjective of course.
Fusion head and speakers will fall into your budget. If you heard them both and could afford a bit more budget, I think you would opt for JL Audio Speakers (Note: I am not a paid representative- ha ha)
Good luck on your decision, let us know what you end up with!'
Lee

Fishtales

Reaction score
Really comes down to how much you use and the importance to you. You can go top shelf like a Fusion unit but it will cost you. You can go down a notch and save some money.
Get a marine unit. Most are conformal coated or have other protection for the environment.

hinmo

Reaction score
Liking the reviews on the JL Audio speakers. Also the Fusion heads...but, want one with a cd player