Stereo Speakers

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Guys,

I am looking to install a stereo in my sailfish 282. I would like to know if 6.5 inch speakers will fit where Grady mounts the speakers from the factory on the sides of the bow anchor line storage locker, in the cabin. Also where are the speakers mounted in the helm? Any advice please respond.
Thank you

Erik

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wanted a sattelite radio in my 2004 282 Sailfish but found out the factory wiring wouldn't allow the helm mounted remote to work with a newer radio. And without a major wiring job I couldn't get a newer remote cable to the existing radio location. Also the remote was not back lit so trying to use it required turning on the overhead light which disrupted my night vision. So I did the next best thing. I left the factory Kenwood stereo in the cabin hooked up to the two anchor locker speakers. They are more then sufficient for the cabin sound. I rarely use it anyway. And I disconnected the helm speakers from the cabin unit. I installed a second stereo where the helm remote was. I installed a Sony waterproof unit and hooked it up to the helm speakers and bought an additional set of box speakers from West Marine which I will mount under the gunnel rails once I remove the winter cover. Now I have full control of the radio from the dash including Sirius radio, CD and an IPOD outlet as well. And I don't have to blast the cabin speakers anymore to hear them. I think it's a much better choice. I also changed the helm speakers to 6.5" units from West Marine as well. As far as the small speakers in the anchor locker goes, I left them alone. I am not sure if a bigger unit would fit there but i do recall there not being alot of space there and it would look cramped with a bigger speaker there. The West Marine speakers sound great and I bought the extended warrenties on them so if they go bad I can get a new set for free. I also hooked up a hard top mounted antenna to the helm mounted unit. That wire antenna is fine if your not moving but while underway it constantly drops stations. I tried to figure out how to run an antenna wire from the hardtop to the cockpit radio and even called Grady White on this. We figured out that you would have to remove the fridge and snake wires down the starboard side to bildge area then to port side and forward behind galley sink then up behind fridge to existing radio. And I would still have to go in the cabin to change a CD. The hardest part of my helm install was running a speaker wire to the existing port side helm speaker. I did this by removing the trim pieces around the cabin door opening along the bulkhead at the top of the door. I carefully snaked a speaker wire between the roof liner and dash fiberglass and ran it behind the trim moulding. It is a clean install and took about a hour to do. The rest of the radio install took about 2 hours. So with about three hours to spare (including cutting dash for new radio) and a few bucks I now have a great sounding radio with a factory installed look and someone can go into the cabin and take a nap without ear muffs. I know this is long winded but I tried to cover all my steps.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Bob,

Thank you very much for the reply and information. Do you happen to know the stock speaker size inside the cabin by the anchor locker?

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think they are 4.5" I'm not sure about this but they are quite small. I didn't realize you don't have any radio at all. The helm speakers are located port side between seat and cabin door. If door is in open position it would be behind door. and Starboard side down low in wood panel facing to stern. That speaker hole would be cut easiest with a large hole saw. I had to enlarge the factory cutouts to install 6.5" speakers and had to use a jig saw. It was a real pain in the butt. Afterwards I recommend you vaccuum out the saw dust or it will be weaping out every time you wash down the deck. Ask me how I know this? LOL By chance, Is the boat prewired for the speakers and remote? If not it will be tough getting wires to the dash for the remote. That was the deciding factor in the second unit that I dash mounted. I was also able to install a hardtop mounted antenna to this unit without ripping half the boat apart.

Thank you very much for the reply and information. Do you happen to know the stock speaker size inside the cabin by the anchor locker?[/quote]

bc282

Reaction score
i did not replace the speakers in the cuddy as they were fine (i think they are 4.5" or 5" rounds), but replaced the Kenwood 2-way coaxial 6.5" rounds in the cockpit as they sounded like junk due to the woofer cone totally crumbling apart.

I replaced the GW installed factory Kenwood stereo too.

I went with Clarion M475 deck, wired remote, and a pair or Infinity Kappa M602's.

Very happy with final product, but let me tell you the install was not quick nor easy--but i did get to know my boat much better having to have disassembled a lot of stuff to run the wire for the new remote.

Not all 6.5" speakers mount into the same hole opening. I had to finesse and dremel the opening just a tad for the Infinity's to fit.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Bob,

Not sure if it is prewired or not. I looked at the GW manual and was trying to see if they were or not. I didnt see anything that stated they were. I might have this done professionally it seems like a big PIA. I didnt realize the speakers in the bow were so small either. I might have to rethink this installation. Thanks for the info.
Erik

Grady282owner

Reaction score
bc,

I got the same infinity's. I was hoping to get them in the cabin as well but doesnt look like that would happen. I also aquired a Fusion radio and remote so lets see when I can rip the wrap off of the boat.
Erik