Storing side curtains

wlewis

Reaction score
What is the best way to store plastic/fabric side curtains without cracking or damaging the clear plastic?

wlewis

Reaction score
I figured some type of paper or fabric would keep the plastic from sticking. Wax paper sounds good. Thanks for the tip.

Graybeard

Reaction score
When I took delivery of Freedom 225 the canvas side, front and back curtains were all rolled up in a nice bag with a big DO NOT FOLD warning tag on it. Now I'm wondering where I can stow it because it's pretty long. Some say to cram it in the space between the hull and the sleeper seat, some try to cram it into one of the storage areas in the bow and I just lay it across the back where the bimimi folds down.

seasick

Reaction score
I use old bed sheets as separators on mine. I don't store the curtains in the boat. They are either installed on the boat or stored in my home. Actually, I don't use them a lot, only towards the end of the season when it gets cold.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
At the end of the season I take them and the rest of my enclosure off the boat. They are cleaned well. I use bed sheets and towls to sperate them and I store them in the house and lay them flat for storage.

zimm

Reaction score
My boat is 12 years old- curtains look brand new. Prior owner stored them rolled up so the zippers don't touch the plastic and put them all in a king size pillow case.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Hanging them would be best, but rolled is plenty acceptable. If rolled and cold, you'll need to hang them and warm them up to stretch them back out to fit.

Graybeard

Reaction score
I put the full canvas up for the 1st time on my new Freedom 225 on Sunday and it covers the whole cockpit from the windshield back. That's a lot of canvas to store. The water temp in the Chesapeake Bay is in the upper 40's so it's still cold on the water here and the wife insists the canvas goes up. I need to work out harder to get in shape for all that work

eppem

Reaction score
Mine are either in use or stored in my basement during the offseason on an old table and layered with old towels in between them. Keep them clean and take care to make sure they are protected when you transport them and you will have years of good service with them.

alashley

Reaction score
Here is how I did it:

1-Go to the store of your choice and buy some of those 'pool noodles'.
2-Clean the plastic w/210/Plexxus/whatever and brush off the canvas.
3-Wrap the curtain around the noodle leaving the canvas on the outside.

Most noodles are 4-5" in diameter and you can roll the plastic without stressing or folding.
Put the noodle in the back of a closet. The house temp will keep it pliable.
If you have irregular shaped plastic, the noodle can be cut to length.
There is no need to bind the plastic to keep it from unrolling if the rolling was done
at room temperature.

RNR-Marine

Reaction score
Website
OEMBoatCanvas.com
We make/sell the OEM Grady canvas, and recommend:
  • Washing the clear vinyl immediately after use (esp. in Saltwater environments)
  • Clear Eisenglass should not be stored dirty or rolled.
  • Storing indoors if possible, and preferable hanging up as flat as possible.
  • AVOID: All waxes, suntan lotion(permanent damage), suncreen (permanent damage), Rain-X, Pledge, Plexus and Windex!
  • Sunbrella should be cleaned with water and Dawn and protected with 303 Fabric Guard (once or twice per year)
  • The only chemicals we recommend for the clear vinyl are:
    • Dawn dishwashing liquid or IMAR Yacht Soap Concentrate 401,
    • IMAR Strataglas Protective Cleaner 301,
    • IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish 302

Ref: http://RNR-Marine.com/Maintenance.shtml#Canvas

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mine are resting comfortably in the basement laying flat on a table with old sheets between them. IMG_1914.JPG

Fishtales

Reaction score
Will you be making any posts that DON'T advertise for those bags you make? ;) This particular thread is nearly 6 years old.

Good callout..... Those bags are expensive. I'd either lay flat with a sheet between as the manufacturer recommends or roll in a pool noodle.