Swivel Rod Holder Help UPDATE with Pics

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
20210912_120644.jpg
Forgive the giant picture!
I installed this Lee's XL Swivel base rod holder to hold my 130 rig and take advantage of the Inshore Bluefin bite in my area. I went under the gunwale and backed up the rod holder with some 3/4 marine plywood to firm it all up.....all is ok except when I apply side pressure to the rod the whole gunwale flexes. I am really worried that a decent fish will really do some damage or even rip out the side of the boat.
I am trying to figure out how to brace it. 2 things to consider....the tube drains out the bottom and there is a nut that adjusts/locks the swivel at the base.
Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Thanks

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
These are meant as motor mount backing plates but perhaps a couple of these could help firm up the gunwale from the inside, although it would require some through bolts. Very strong SS design.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
These are meant as motor mount backing plates but perhaps a couple of these could help firm up the gunwale from the inside, although it would require some through bolts. Very strong SS design.

Thanks.......just not sure how/where I would use them. What were you thinking?
The gunwale seems to be one long plank.....secured only at the ends.....it is twisting under side pressure.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Backing the cut-out reinforces the pivot point, but doesn't really change it much. I would try a block of wood between the rod holder tube, and the lowest point of the gunnel, right behind that brown trim band. If that helps, cut a square that fills the space, with a snug hole in it for the tube, and glue and screw through the trim band.
If it still has a lot of flex, it would be risky, with a big fish and a lot of drag.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks.......just not sure how/where I would use them. What were you thinking?
My thought was, if there was enough room to fit up on the inside of the gunwale. With your couple other rod holders there might not be room, but maybe aft of the swivel. So through bolts vertical from the top of the gunwale with rails on the underside for further stability. Abut the rail to each side and top of the gunwale. Just an idea, may not be feasible or helpful.

my other thought was using west systems six10 epoxy on the underside which dries very hard but really not sure that would make a meaningful difference without a lot of volume of epoxy.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The only real solution I see, is to use a sleeve as high up on the rod holder tube as it will go, and attach it to the deck with a flange, sort of like a davit mount. That should take care of twist, but if the whole side of the boat then bows out under pressure, ???

Finest Kind

Reaction score
The rod swivels in the holder right?
So, use your steering wheel and motors to help the angler fight the fish by keeping the rod pointed OVER THE STERN, not out over the Stbd side.
There won't be as much stress on the gunnel when the force is applied lengthwise as opposed to sideways....

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The only real solution I see, is to use a sleeve as high up on the rod holder tube as it will go, and attach it to the deck with a flange, sort of like a davit mount. That should take care of twist, but if the whole side of the boat then bows out under pressure, ???
That is pretty much where I am too......I will lose the ability to lock it and drainage will be an issue but I think that cures the flex.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The rod swivels in the holder right?
So, use your steering wheel and motors to help the angler fight the fish by keeping the rod pointed OVER THE STERN, not out over the Stbd side.
There won't be as much stress on the gunnel when the force is applied lengthwise as opposed to sideways....
Sure......I will be doing that in any event but I am not sure I can land a fish from off the stern. My splash board and the seating you see are in the way......and the fish don't always cooperate! :)

Reactions: PointedRose

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Sure......I will be doing that in any event but I am not sure I can land a fish from off the stern. My splash board and the seating you see are in the way......and the fish don't always cooperate! :)
You are talking about BIG Bluefin, right?
There is NO WAY you are going to "land" him off the gunnels either.
You are going to have to fight him until he is tired enough to get him CLOSE to the stern, then hand-line the leader and the fish up along side the boat close enough to either gaff or harpoon him.
All I'm saying is, during that fight while he is pulling strong against the rod and reel, keep the pressure directed along the gunnels as opposed to across them.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am with you 100% Finest Kind. I will be doing all that. No argument there....but it would be irresponsible of me to not address the possibility of the fish not sticking to the plan.

Reactions: Finest Kind

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Solid as a rock. Thanks for all input

Attachments

• 20210925_132224.jpg
    20210925_132224.jpg
    841.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Worked like a charm!

Reactions: glacierbaze