Tackle Center in Cabin

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Finally, I was able to get some time to put effort into a trial and error project and see if I could make a tackle center in the cabin in place of the stove that hangs on the wall.
Using PVC board, it came out pretty good I think. Might later think of a door for it, but will see how the bungees work out. This now free's up some space of the tackle bags sitting around in the way!

Attachments

• Tackle Center1.jpg
    Tackle Center1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 3,977
  • Tackle Center2.jpg
    Tackle Center2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 3,977

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I like it! I see no reason for a door - it's just going to complicate things. If anything, maybe just attach all three bungees, at the top, to a thin strip of starboard and hook the starboard at the top of the case. But that's just so you aren't removing three bungees (keeps them all together as one) every time. I know... how lazy am I that removing three little bungees becomes a chore?!?! Looks very good!

JeffN

Reaction score
I like it also and agree with Dennis that if the bungee were captured at the top you would not have to juggle them when removing the boxes in a rough sea. I am in the design phase of revamping my ice box into useful tackle storage. Did you use Plano boxes and if so what series/size. I have found a box that holds 6 each 3600 series Planos that might work. Yours looks great Robert.

jrhall

Reaction score
The tackle boxes are Plano 3700 series.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks.I have to say this was a fun project. I do like your idea on one motion to secure the Bungees. I did toy around with multiple types Of bungee cords,and found that the ball bungees seemed to secure better then a single Bungie. I have secured each ball Bungie at the bottom with stainless Eye straps. at the top they just took over a screw head. Pretty simple and fast actually. By grabbing the ball it gives you something secure to hold on to like a handle.
Will have to think about your idea as not yet clear in my head on how I would go about this enhancement.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Forgot to mention - I like the fact that you took the extra step to radius the edges. That little detail makes it look so much better.

As far as the upper attachment goes... and this is just off the top of my head so I'm sure improvements can be made quite easily... Start with a 1" strip of SB, about 2" longer/wider than the bungee distance from left to right. This would be the piece that actually gets attached to the top somehow, with the three bungees permanently attached to the SB strip.

Now, to attach to the top... It could be as easy as two holes drilled through strip of SB. The holes could allow the strip to be "hung" into (2) small, SS bolts/screws that are screwed into the top of the box (about 1" back from the top edge).

A cleaner way would be to again use the SB strip, but instead cut the forward edge of the strip (again, it would lay on top of the box) at a 45* angle and another strip (to be fastened right at the front edge) with the opposite 45* angle (with three relief cuts for the bungees, also wide enough to get your finger in there for removal/gripping). Basically, take a 1.5" to 1.75"" strip and rip it (off-center, at the 1" mark) at 45* to create a "chock" effect. String the bungees through the thin dimension of the strip and tie into a knot at the rear. Cut the 3 holes (for stringing the bungees through) through the original strip before ripping it.

I may not be explaining this well enough. Let me know - I can make a quick sketch.

gw204

Reaction score
Good idea. I like it!

I would have done it a little differently though and made the box to have the same fold down motion as the stove. Once dropped down, the tackle boxes would insert vertically and would give you a sort of wall-handing table Folding the box up would secure them.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
gw204, that is a good point also. I considered that, but since I made the box longer (or taller) and it has more weight due to lead jigs, etc, I was afraid the PVC would not hold up well enough and did not want the box sticking out into the cabin when folded down. Would not be much, but a little more than is now. Also, I wanted to be able to grab a box quickly, so the bungees only take a second to remove whereas the pin hinge was a pita sometimes. I did ponder on different ways to do this. I wanted a solid mount for the PVC as not sure how strong it will be. I think it will hold up ok, but a long summer with some pounding seas will reveal it's durability! :mrgreen:
It would look nice to have it close up on the hinges as it would conceal the boxes when closed. I think if I did this method, I would want to use Starboard assuming it would be stronger as panels are wider. If could get the PVC wider than 5-1/2", would be ok with the PVC.
I also considered just putting in some boxes in the stove box (Removing the stove), but the boxes did not quite fit in there like I wanted.
With this setup, the bathroom door opens wider and is less in the way when transitioning from the cabin to the exit.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What if you would angle the back edge of the storage boxes down at a 15 degree angle?
You will likely loose a spot use a single bungee if needed but I don't think you would need a bungee at all.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I truely think that with no bungees, even at the angle, the impact to some waves would toss them out. I have had rods come out of the rocket launchers from the hardtop before depending upon the way the boat takes the waves.
The bungees literally take 1 second to remove and replace. Also, and very likely will only need the one in the middle. Just wanted to make sure they will stay secure.
I will also make a filler to ensure they don't bounce and slam around inside the box. Should just be able to slide a piece of foam in there for that.

Ah, this reminds me....I need to make up another bungee to secure the rods in the rocket launchers. Thinking one long one strung across all will suffice and be easier to deal with rather than individual snubbers.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That is a good use of that space. I've been trying to think of something to do there as well. Another thought on the bungees - I would probably use two but mount them close enough to the ends of the box so that I never need to remove them. They could just be pushed around to the sides of the box to gain access, then pushed back around to the front to secure the draws.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good idea, I can pull them around to the side easily enough. So if the middle one alone is not enough, then I can try the two outside ones. I don't think I need all 3 for sure. But sea trials will tell the story. Still need to make a filler to keep them from slamming up and down when running in the seas.

Thought of another idea this weekend while trying to figure out where/how to store other items from within the tackle box, so I made one of these spool holders and mounted it next to the tackle center. Made out of the left over PVC board and it came out very nice!

Second pic is with the end removed to see the inside view.

Attachments

• Spool Holder2.jpg
    Spool Holder2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 3,790
  • Spool Holder1.jpg
    Spool Holder1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 3,790

fellinger

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but, I am dying to know how it held up?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi! So far, no issues. I absolutely love this setup. Very convenient and holds lots of stuff. These containers are very heavy and we went through some long brutal seas last season with no signs of stress. I am impressed with the pvc.

fellinger

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
Hi! So far, no issues. I absolutely love this setup. Very convenient and holds lots of stuff. These containers are very heavy and we went through some long brutal seas last season with no signs of stress. I am impressed with the pvc.

Awesome! Would you be able to shoot me a message with a little detail about how you made them (dimensions)/secured them? I have 272 Sailfish and looking for as much space as I can get. If I am looking at the pictures right it looks like two boxes secured on top of one another? Are there "slots" for the plano boxes or do they sit on top of each other? Any help would be appreciated! PVC board looks really affordable and clean.

Thanks!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
fellenger, I sent you a PM.

The dimensions are 16 3/4" Wide X 17.5" Tall X 10" deep.

When you get ready to build yours, leave space on sides wider than boxes to allow use of extra leader packs or whatever and also helps to get your fingers on sides to grab the boxes to slide out. Stack your plano boxes as many as you wish to store, measure height/width and it should come out close to dimensions above.

Also, just an update pic I have added some enhancements.

Paper Towel holder
Drilled some small holes to hold jigs/hooks on the top edge.
Wedge in bottom to slope boxes back so they don't want to slide forward.
Hand Held VHF holder and Cell phone holder.
Rubber bumper on corner for bathroom door.
New found space to hold leader packs on side and on top.

Attachments

• Tackle Center.jpg
    Tackle Center.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 283