Tampa vs Miami / Ft Lauderdale?

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I live up in the FL panhandle, but am considering a second home in either the Tampa area or southeast FL in the Miami or Ft Lauderlale area.

Would like to move my 360 Express between the two, fish and cruise, do some Bahamas trips, Tortugas, etc.

While the home base is on the water and the 360 is stored high and dry in her home lift, I know absolutely nothing about dry storage, marinas, fishing access, etc in these other areas.

I know it will be expensive, but would love to hear any pros - cons of each area. I will chose one in the next 3-4 months, and really would like your input to help educate me on where to look, what to avoid, and to avoid that black hole of "I don't even know what I don't know".

Prefer dry storage as the boat is not painted and I really don't want to paint her and add that overhead. Marinas that can handle 12 tons and outriggers? Easy access to open water and fishing?

Another plus would be ACTIVE Grady White clubs. Would be very nice to have other GW owners to cruise or fish or travel with.

Anyone have recommendations, including marinas, realtors, boat dealers (to build relationships with or to avoid), all that??

Thanks in advance for your help!

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
Thats a tough call Miami/ Ft L would be more expensive but have more boat type stuff. Tampa is beautiful I used to work for TECO ocean shipping and lived there for a year, but I dont know about he storage stuff. I think St Pete and Clearwater would have more of that. Tampa does have a few nice marinas though...

Banana River View

Reaction score
Sel.. If you have the choice to where you will move, why Tampa or Miami/FT. Lauderdale? I have lived in FL all my life and these are two placed that would not be high on my list.

I would look in the Stuart area or just south of there. Easy access to ocean, short distance to Gulf Stream, close to Bahamas but not as big and crowded as Tampa or Miami.

Just wondering... Don

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Everybody has their preferences but I'd try to avoid Miami or Tampa, the crime turns me off. How about Key Largo and get your own lift.

Protek9543

Reaction score
Banana River View said:
Sel.. If you have the choice to where you will move, why Tampa or Miami/FT. Lauderdale? I have lived in FL all my life and these are two placed that would not be high on my list.

I would look in the Stuart area or just south of there. Easy access to ocean, short distance to Gulf Stream, close to Bahamas but not as big and crowded as Tampa or Miami.

Just wondering... Don

I second this.

Flying Fish

Reaction score
Sel: Let me start with your question. You already live on the Gulf coast, and Tampa is on the Gulf coast, so why not have your second home on the other (Atlantic) side so there's a real difference?

As for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale versus other places, well, I happen to love Miami and Biscayne Bay, but no doubt it is going to be expensive. Stuart seems to be a reasonable alternative, espeically if you like catching sailfish and false albacore....Can't help with you with marina-type details.

FF