Teak Refinishing

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm super pleased with the refinishing of my teak. This was a quick project. 20 min to remove trim, 2 hours sanding, and maybe an hour total time applying teak oil (3 coats). The teak oil took a few hours to dry between coats. I couldn't be happier with the results and look forward to getting these pieces back on the boat when the weather warms.

Attachments

• IMG_4618.jpg
    IMG_4618.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4628.jpg
    IMG_4628.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 46

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice transformation!! That will look great when you put it back on the boat.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Where on the seafarer do you have Teak?

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The boat is a 1989 and she has teak trim around the helm and cockpit. The door to the cuddy is teak as well as cuddy trim pieces. The photos show the trim at the base of the gunnel-bolster area and the rails near the deck of gunnel-mounted fishing rod holders. I saw a photo someone had posted of another seafarer and I noticed GW had moved to plastic trim in later models. I'm not sure when that transition happened, but I'm glad to have the teak, although it will require attention.

I've got a few pieces of trim by the helm that got saturated with hydraulic fluid from previous owner failing to correct leaky unit. I can't imagine the teak oil will take on these pieces. I don't have any teak on hand, but I've got some walnut that I'm going to cut for replacements. I think it will look nice and hold up. Does anyone have experience with walnut in marine environment?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Super nice. Hope it holds up for you.