Thoughts On Standard Horizon External Speaker

noXcuse

Reaction score
I have a brand new Standard Horizon VHF, and I'm looking at getting an external hailer speaker. Trying to hear the bridge and lock attendants around here sucks. I guess they don't speak loud and clear into their mic. I can hear people on other channels fine. I'm accustomed to the standard rectangle PA style speakers, but was looking at the Standard Horizon MLS-310, since I can flush mount it right on my dash facing me. Has anyone had any experience with these? This is the 10W amplified on. Not the MLS-300 that isn't amplified.

I know I can get it cheaper than West Marine sells it, just linking to show you what it is. Thanks.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... a0UyUC1Hzk

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the speaker you mentioned. Not sure how you would flush mount it but it works great. I mounted mine overhead at the front my electronics box. It works great and is easy to hear. Only problem is that we sometimes forget to turn it off and I guess it still draws a small amount of current even when the VHF radio is turned off. I highly recommend it to anyone that has the room.

noXcuse

Reaction score
Awesome. I actually cut the top of my glove box completely off, flush mounted my Furuno NavNet there, and am having it all fiberglassed back in. There's a spot to the right of the screen that is perfect size for that speaker. Thanks for the reply man.