Thru hull fittings.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does anyone know what year Grady White switched from nylon to metal thru hull fittings on the seafarer?

grady23

Reaction score
Does it really matter. The old nylon units should be replaced PERIOD. In all honesty, I think Grady went back to SS around 2001 or 2002.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Somewhere around 1998...they were bronze before they went to SS.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Does it really matter.

:uhm It mattered to me when I went shopping for a model that didn't have nylon for OEM ...

For OP, call Grady Customer Service. You will find they are a wealth of information ...

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went back through the old catalogs on the Grady site. 1998 was the first year that bronze thru-hulls were mentioned.

nascarjonb

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Spirit, today i pulled the side panels to install wiring and deck lights, I noticed my drain for my live well has a pool of water under the thru hull, Not sure how to determine wear this is coming from.... the hose? the thru hull fitting that looks to be plastic? or rain water collecting in a place that makes me :bang!! should i replace the thru hole fittings regardless????

mboyatt

Reaction score
Yes, swap them. The plastic ones get brittle with age. Could be compromised and you would never know it. Replaced all of my 1994 Tournament thru hulls with the chrome looking ones. Not sure what type of metal they are. Looks better than the white plastics. Good luck!

seasick

Reaction score
My 2001 has metal but they are not SS. They are chrome plated bronze. Stainless below the water line will corrode. Stainless above the water line is generally OK. I did learn one thing and that is that bottom paint on chromed tru hulls will speed up the corrosion of the chrome plating.