Toe Rail Replacement Material Source?

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Would like to replace aging woodgrain toe rails with HDPE type installed on newer models. I have local fabrication friend to mill replacements if I can provide correct material.

Any know where one could purchase material stock in Grady color?

Thanks

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would use PVC trim board, from Lowes or Home Depot, if they are thick enough not to flex, over the span between attachment points. You might even find wood grain PVC, if you want to be original. If your boat is like mine, all colors are aged, and original white would be a mismatch.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
PVC trim is good idea - just not a color match

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Try Taco Marine or King Starboard. Look at the colors they offer then find a retailer. You could even try a materials supplier like McMaster Carr. Make sure you're getting a marine-grade material (one that is UV stable).

BUT... maybe think about a contrasting color (light grey, for example, if it's available)? Then you don't have to worry about a "brand new" Grady color not matching gelcoat that would certainly be a different color after a quarter century. Plus, hasn't the "Grady" color changed a bit over time? Point is, maybe forget about it being a "Grady color" - just get a color that you like - whatever that is. If it's an off-white color like newer models, great - it doesn't have to be labelled "Grady".

Last edited:

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
King Starboard - Perfect.

Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You got it!

Just a side note... King Starboard is simply a brand name for HDPE (like Kleenex of Xerox). They're probably the most widely known version of HDPE, but it doesn't mean you have to buy that brand.

wires38

Reaction score
Would like to replace aging woodgrain toe rails with HDPE type installed on newer models. I have local fabrication friend to mill replacements if I can provide correct material.

Any know where one could purchase material stock in Grady color?

Thanks
Teak. 35 years on my Bristol condition 23

Reactions: coldpizza

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
You got it!

Just a side note... King Starboard is simply a brand name for HDPE (like Kleenex of Xerox). They're probably the most widely known version of HDPE, but it doesn't mean you have to buy that brand.
partially correct, plain hdpe has no Uv blockers. King starboard does. It will last longer without getting chalky.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I used the King Starboard to make new toe rails for my 252G in Seafoam color and it looks great. PVC is porous so it will look like heck after one season and also is soft so will mark/scratch/gouge really bad. I have used both in many areas on m boat and know this from experience. My tackle lockers I made in the cabin are all PVC and is a great material to use to make what I did, but this season, I will need to remove it and paint with plastic compatible paint to make them clean up and look better.
The Starboard is the way to go for cockpit area abuse! Same thing the are using in the new Grady's from what I can tell, but they have a nice fancy inlay to make them look custom.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
King Starboard. Seafoam color. Usually a good color match. I replaced the rotting melamine wood panels under the helm with it.