Took my wife to the boat show--it is getting more confusing

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, as posted eleswhere I was looking at a Gulfstream 232 . Then I took my wife to boat show and she (who is not big on replacing our 208 to begin with) sees a Tournament 225 and says " I like the layout better, we never use the cuddy anyway". So then I start looking at a 275 Tournament and think "maybe she is right-- we don't stay overnight etc"

So, what do you guys think about the 275 vs 232-??-both with twins. I really need help. I have a long suffering wife who has Dodge Vipers and Vettes, and a Caddy XLR-V in the garage and is starting to lose her sense of humor. I am leaning towards the 275. Any help is appreciated. I know a lot more about cars than boats!!

striped bass

Reaction score
Welcome to the club! My wife and I test drove in 2007 almost every GW model plus many other boats (Blackfin, Boston Whaler etc) and it came down to the Tournament 225 or the 275. Great vessels! We felt a cuddy becomes like a basement or an attic where stuff just gets stored and not really used. Plus the 225 and 275 have a very sporty feel to them. We bought the 225 because my wife felt the 275 was too much boat for our needs. (She is the captain and helmsperson since I usually have a fishing rod in my hands). We took both boats out in October on Buzzards Bay and L I Sound and the 225 more than handled the water conditions and was very comfortable. It had a big boat feel and ride which it should at over 4000 lbs. I strongly recommend that you test drive each boat for yourself. If you go the 275 route I strongly recommend that you get the single Yamaha F350. Dealers initially stocked the 275 with the two 150s because the F350 was not quite available. All GW dealers now stock just the F350 with the T 275. Plenty of power. On our test drive the two 150s did not manuever the T275 very well in close quarters becasuse they were so close together the wash and turbulance from each prop interfered with each other. Check out Tashmoo's posts because he just took delivery on a T 275 with an F 350. You can't go wrong with either boat. Good luck.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I had a Pursuit 21'DC for the past 12 years which is very similar to the 225. After all these year with the Pursuit we figured out what was important to us and what was not. The list was fairly simple. First was a boat with equal quality to the Pursuit, an outstanding boat. Next a larger boat to handle our SW prevailing winds and there accompanying 2-3' slop. The 21' was capable but at times rough and wet. The 275 increases our comfort and ability to venture 20+ miles from home without as much concern about being beat to death on the ride home. The walk through transom was a must for swimming and the dog. The walk through is standard on the 275 and not available on the 225. The head was a must and the size on the 275 was a plus. What we found on our 21' was that it was not large enough to have another couple out with us for a day. It would fit them but there wasn't much room left. The 275 clearly addresses this issue. As for the twins vs. the single 350, the F350 performance is better then twin 150's and very close to twin 200's for much less $$. My opinion on twins vs. a big single is that why have two when one will do the job. One is simply less to deal with. Personally I don't buy into the concept of having two engines as a fail safe in the event that one fails but that is my opinion. Finally the F350 brings you all of the latest technologies that are not available on twin 150', 200's or 225's, those being variable rate valve timing and fly by wire controls.

GWcpa

Reaction score
If you plan to use the boat more for weekend river and to the beach cruising with the wife the 225 or 275 are what you want. On warm summer days passengers gravitate toward the bow area.

I loved my 232 and the cabin and helm space, but by far for what I use the boat for the 205 layout is enjoyed more by my family and guests.

The head on the 275 is usable like the 232s, not sure about the 225, the 205s is only good for children and storage.

Unless you plan to fish the bay and ocean a lot, I think the 232 will be overkill.

Think I mentioned it before, but I went the 208, 232D, 205 route, and the buyer of my 208 also bought a 232 before reverting back to a 208 again.

I will probably own a 225 in the next couple of years.

Forgot, what about the cars...you own those 3 now ? We need pics man.

Are you on the rapp, correct...

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 275 is a lot more boat then the 225. If you do mostly day cruising, I would give it a strong consideration. I prefer a cabin model (owned 228G, 272, now 300) but I really like the layout of the 275. GW did an excellent job, The power recliner is just too cool. :D

If you don't venture far offshore, the F350 vs. twins is more economical and one less engine to maintain.

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GWcpa said:
If you plan to use the boat more for weekend river and to the beach cruising with the wife the 225 or 275 are what you want. On warm summer days passengers gravitate toward the bow area.

I loved my 232 and the cabin and helm space, but by far for what I use the boat for the 205 layout is enjoyed more by my family and guests.

The head on the 275 is usable like the 232s, not sure about the 225, the 205s is only good for children and storage.

Unless you plan to fish the bay and ocean a lot, I think the 232 will be overkill.

Think I mentioned it before, but I went the 208, 232D, 205 route, and the buyer of my 208 also bought a 232 before reverting back to a 208 again.

I will probably own a 225 in the next couple of years.

Forgot, what about the cars...you own those 3 now ? We need pics man.

Are you on the rapp, correct...

Yep, on the Rap and still have the cars (minus a Vette)