Topsail NC Offshore 10/20

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fished the gulf stream off Topsail Island NC on Thursday in calm seas. I've been out to 30 miles several times over the past yr that I've owned my Sailfish but finally made it all the way to the break (about 55 miles). We fished The Devil's Hole and Nipple areas. We were loaded down with 5 guys, full fuel, and all the gear. A local website lists the fishing activity rating for days (0-5) and Thursday was a ZERO so I feel fortunate we boated a decent (30 lb) wahoo and a blackfin tuna. We also had 4 knockdowns while trolling with one ballyhoo destroyed and 3 bit off clean a mm behind the hook (next time out my trolling spread will have stinger hooks).

I maintained about 4400 rpm's (250 Yamaha's) for the 2 hrs out and back which gave me 27 - 29 kts. My fuel management gauge is erratic so I don't know the burn yet (will fill up next week and see). We got thru the inlet at 1st gray light to find flat calm seas and saw a beautiful sunrise some time later.

My last boat was a 28' cc w/ T top. I've got to say I am still thrilled with my decision to go to a w/a. I had 3 sides of the enclosure in place but my side window rolled up. I could carry on a conversation with whoever was in the passenger seat without yelling and did not get wind beat all day. This boat is SO much more comfortable. Also, being 2 steps up at the helm, I love the vantage I get of the trolling spread.

102022c.jpg102022d.jpg102022b.jpg102022e.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
nice! i have heard thats a beautiful area. id like to make it down that way sometime

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That looks like a great day on a flat ocean, a rarity! What year is your Sailfish? I have a 2008 282.