Totalscan Thru hull

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Have any members had any experience installing a large thru hull transducer close to or on the keel of a single powered Grady? I want to install a Simrad 000 14257 001 Totalscan thru hull on the keel close to the rear end of the running surface of the hull. My concern , due to the size of the transducer, will it disturb the water flow to the prop or create any other performance issues and would it be best to install with or without a fairing block due to its unusual shape?

Islander268GW

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I put mine (not a thru hull) on the port side closer to the center line on a transom saver. I dont notice any performance issues. I made the mistake of not using transducer paint and now have to carefully clean the sea creatures off the ducer...guaranteed I will be using the paint next time since it sits in the water. Interesting to see what folks who have the thru hull say!

Attachments

• 20190329_120956.jpg
    20190329_120956.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • 20190322_182449.jpg
    20190322_182449.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 78

Fishtales

Reaction score
Those things are pretty darn big and heavy. I'm sure the performance is excellent thought.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've had some experience putting through-hull transducers on smaller Gradys. My old pre-SV2 Seafarer had several holes punched into the bottom until I finally got a big fared bronze transducer to work OK. IMO, it's just not worth it. I first tried to mount it on the centerline so that minimum faring would be needed. But it caused my engine to ventilate under certain conditions. I ended up moving it out to a step. With the faring needed to get it level, the entrained air wasn't a problem and let it track bottom up to 25 mph. But that step doesn't exist on an SV2 hull. The through-hull Total Scan is designed for a flat surface with no more than 5 degrees of dead rise. It is going to take a lot of faring with a 20 degree hull and the sidescan function would be blocked on one side by the keel.

I'm currently using a transom-mounted Active Imaging 3-in-1 Transducer mounted on a Sternmate. I'm very impressed with how well the transducer works with my Simrad Evo3. I can track bottom at 44 mph in 50+ ft of water. The Sternmate let me do the adjustments necessary to get it reading well without moving any drilled screws. The side scan works well and sees both sides as long as I trim the engine up a bit. I also have a flush-mounted through hull B60 for precision 2D work.

Reactions: Islander268GW

UCPA111

Reaction score
I installed a Garmin GT51M thru hull on center of my boat. I have no issues with ventilation and no other performance issues with the transducer or the outboard. It's a pretty large transducer. I run a Verado 300 on a bracket off the stern. Hope you find a solution that works for you.

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
UCPA what hull do you have and how far forward of the lower unit did you mount your transducer. Did you mount it flush or use a fairing block?

UCPA111

Reaction score
I have a 1984 Seafarer. The back edge of the transducer is 11" from the stern. It is located on centerline of the boat (raw water pickup is located off centerline). The back of the transducer is 48" away from the front of the outboard when it is down. transducer location copy.jpg

This picture was taken right after installation and prior to bottom sanding and painting.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's just about where I tried to mount the transducer on my 1986 Seafarer without a bracketed engine. The prop would ventilate when I tried to run bow up in heavy seas. It fact the prop would blow out in normal seas if I tried to trim the engine up very much. I guess the bracket setback on your engine is the difference.

OBX Sailfish

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just installed a B175 chirp 1KW Through hull (4 inch flush cylinder) on my 282. I consulted many people..(including Grady) My best technical feedback came from Simrad and Airmar tech support folks..(both great) And then a really good confirmation was Travis at Semper Fi Fishing on the Hull truth. That guy knows his stuff about ducer mounting principles. (He beat the price on the best Black Friday deals I found too).

Reactions: UCPA111

UCPA111

Reaction score
Travis at Semper Fi advised me as well. I was concerned about being on center with a single outboard. He calmed my fears and all worked out excellent! I bought my unit from him as well!

OBX Sailfish

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just installed a B175 chirp 1KW Through hull (4 inch flush cylinder) on my 282. I consulted many people..(including Grady) My best technical feedback came from Simrad and Airmar tech support folks..(both great) And then a really good confirmation was Travis at Semper Fi Fishing on the Hull truth. That guy knows his stuff about ducer mounting principles. (He beat the price on the best Black Friday deals I found too).

Attachments

• 15795404576642656080601417896332.jpg
    15795404576642656080601417896332.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

OBX Sailfish

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Okay...I can't get my phone to load any more pics. This hatch is on the rear port side of an 05 282 Sailfish. The through Hull ducer B175 HW 20 is mounted just forward of the fuel filter you see. It took a 3 3/4" inch hole. The hole was Placed 22inches from the port bottom outside edge and 42 inches forward of the transom. Hull side It has nothing in front not behind and is two inches to the inside of a lifting strake which has created no turbulence for it in any way since it pushes water to the port direction and away from the ducer. It reads very well even at cruise speed. If you PM me I can send you some more pics and lessons learned via text...including a homemade plywood wrench we made to tighten the bronze nut as well as taping tips to keep the ducer surface clean during install.

rpc

Reaction score
I have a 06 282 and installed the b175 hw midship under the lower bunk I also installed the active image transducer on the transom next to the drain plug

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well I picked a spot, drilled the holes gooped it up and bolted it in. I mounted the transducer 12" forward of the drain plug on the keel. Gonna splash her this week and see how she performs.transducer1.jpegtransducer3.jpegtransducer4.jpeg

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Boats in her slip. Did not have time to run her today and check performance at speed. The sidescan is really great. I was able to see all the pilings along the sea wall in the marina and all the crap on the bottom. Looking forward to using it among some offshore structure. This is a game changer, should have done this years ago. Ran her at speed today and was very pleased with performance. Cannot see any negative effects from transducer location. Calibrated the point 1 compass and checked out the outboard pack autopilot. Performs great, the turn features are amazing.

Last edited: