Tournament 275 w/Yamaha F350 Sea Trial

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Yesterday was the day for sea trials for my wife and me on the new Tournament 275 with a single Yamaha F350 that we ordered. The trial was out of Beverly, MA; conditions were 40 deg air temp, 15 MPH wind out of the W, seas were calm inshore and were 2-3 ft every 3 seconds with occasional 3-4 ft mixed in outside of Marblehead Neck.

My first impressions of the boat/engine combination were that they are a perfect fit. The engine did not look like an elephant hanging off the end of a dingy as I had feared. It looked proportional to the size of the boat. The boat as it sits in the water is very good looking astatically. The condition of the boat as delivered from Grady was as it should be, neat, clean and the fit and finish looked good, more intense inspection to come. When the engine started it was quite and commanding, the new fly by wire controls were excellent, much better than the Verado system where you never know if you were in gear or not as there was no defined detent. The boat handled very well at slow speed and responded smoothly and quickly to the massive propulsion of the prop. At the harbor entrance we keep the lid on the RPM’s as the engine had less than two hours on it so speed to plane took a while. The hull went on plane at about 3500 rpm and established a speed of 25 mph at that RPM and then held plane down to 18 mph. The hull behaved as it should in the calm conditions in shore, one notable comment was that you could hear the water against the hull as the engine noise did not drown it out as it had in my pervious two stroke. Needless to say the engine was quite, it was also very powerful with a slight increase in RPM it was clear that there was plenty of power for the application. In the chop water the boat performed well in all four quarters and try as I would I could not take spray over the bow or rails. At 25 mph and the above described conditions with a little bit of trim from the tabs the ride was smooth enough that my wife was comfortable (if she was not she would have let me know). After one and a half hours on the water the engine had enough time on it to bring it up to 4,000 RPM were the speed was clocked at 29 mph, again at 3,500 it clock out at 25 mph both points are slightly under the Grady curve but I do not know the boat and did not have it trimmed as well as it could have been. One negative that I noted during the trial was that the trim tabs were not very effective until speeds of around 25 mph, below that they were sluggish to ineffective.

Overall the boat’s performance was good and was about what I expected with the exception of the trim tabs, the engine controls were outstanding and the engine unreal. The layout of the boat is exceptional, everything is accessible and it will be a great fly fishing platform for both in and off shore for two fisherman at once. The boat will also excel on the family days which with this platform will increase in number.

Two final notes, first, clearly this engine is going to change the way boats in the 24-27 foot range are powered. Second, some look at this boat and snub it as a bow rider, a design with a very negative history (thanks to the likes of Bayliner). This boat is anything but. I spend hundreds of hours a year on the water in all types of boats, my last boat was a Pursuit 21’ DC and it fished as well as any CC and did the family gig much better. We had a fantastic deal offered to us on a Pursuit 26’ CC but turned it down as it did not fulfill the family aspect and quite frankly was a compromise for the other 80% of its use fly fishing.

PS Sea trail passed, boat will be closed on this week.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Nice. Send us some pictures when ya can. I saw the F350 of the back of a Gulfstream at a local dealer and man it looks big on that boat out of the water. I wonder what it looks like in the water.....

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Pictures

Matt asked that I post these pictures for him:
Nice looking boat Matt.
IMG_2510-l.jpg

IMG_2511-l.jpg

IMG_2513-l.jpg

IMG_2515-l.jpg

Tashmoo

Reaction score
As delivered out of the factory there is no application or preparation for bottom paint. The dealer will prep and apply the bottom paint. I am on my way to the Boston boat show tomorrow to discuss the "best practices" with the bottom paint manufacturers if you are interested I will report my finding back here.

Afishinado

Reaction score
That is a perfect rig in my opinion!
Still miss my Tournament......

BEAUTIFUL boat, best of luck with it.

striped bass

Reaction score
Thank you, yes, I would be very much interested in what they have to say. I have a GW Tournament with a trailer with no bottom paint that was just shipped from South Carolina to CT. Formerly belonged to Jack Del Rio (Jaguars) but he had no time to use it. The dealer here in CT suggests a barrier coat first then antifouling bottom paint. Looking forward to your reply.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Afishinado I could not agree more this is my second DC, after looking at a lot of boats we came back to where we started only 7' longer.

Charles, we had a medium snow storm here today so I decided not to make the trip into Boston for the show. I plan on going now on Thursday and will let you know what I learn on bottom paint. What I do know is that there are 100 ways to do it wrong and very few ways to do it right.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Are you considering the hard top? I think it looks great on this model, and allows a radar and rocket launchers, in addition to getting the antennas higher.

What does Grady use for the wind blocker in the walk through? A drop curtain? The main thing I dislike about my 205 is the inablity to go forward in the winter with the enclosure. Thought about the bow cover so I can at least gain access to storage forward. I this boat it would be close to having a cabin with a berth.

I either have to undo the drop curtain and crawl under the w/t windshield or unsnap the forward visor and drop curtain, and then flip the widow open. Makes docking in a slip a chore.

Are you getting the port lounge or pedastal? I thought I wanted the pedastal seat until I saw how much my family likes the lounge.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
The boat in the photos is actually the boat I ordered and took delivery of, there were no 275's with the F350 in the area to sea trial so the dealer had to bring mine in on spec. Not much of a risk for the dealer.

My wife & I have owned a DC for a long time so when it came to ordering this time we knew exactly what we wanted. Availability of a larger DC was the only reason we held back until now.

No hard top for two reasons, one I salt water fly fish a lot and as such the hard top is in the way and without it I can work a fish bow to stern without working around the top. We keep the Bimini at the dock unless it is a family day then we pop it on. You are correct without it you have no place for radar, our answer to that will be to supplement with Sirius weather on a Raymarine C120. It's not radar but it gives me the ability to watch for t-storms and bad weather in near real time.

Yes, we ordered with the lounge seat, there was no way my wife was going to have it any other way and I agree it's a very very comfortable arrangement. On the negitive side the seats will need to be covered to protect them in the long term. As for the walk through, there is a canvas snap in, truth be told on our last boat it got used very infrequently, we pull the boat in November and go back in in April so it sees limited cold weather use. The wind shield on this boat is very high and protects well. I am 6'-3" and when sitting have 6"-8" above my site line and when standing am 6”-8” above the frame but am in the slip stream as such the wind goes over my head. With this and the wide consoles you can stay pretty warm.

We can’t wait until spring!!

GWcpa

Reaction score
I did not read your initial post, which mentions fly fishing. That makes sense why you do not want the hard top. I use my bimini 90% of the time, and the front curtains probably 50%.

I agree, the DC really is a do-all boat. I have had 2 Grady Walks, and miss the cabin some, but overall the DC is the most practical and fun.

Appears to me the F350 is perfect for the hull.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
charles miller said:
Formerly belonged to Jack Del Rio (Jaguars) but he had no time to use it.

Hmmm, i bet he wishes he kept it now, he has the time!

striped bass

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I look forward to your findings from the boat show. We were going to go to the boat show as well, but now that we have the GW Tournament we spend our time with Spring make ready tasks. BTW your 275 is gorgeous. We test drove many a boat and none really matched the Tournament for our needs. Its just the perfect vessel for handling the waters off Watch Hill reef and The Race where we do our fishing.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
TASHMOO you dirty dog! I didn't realize when I saw your kind (and helpful) comments on the "F250 for Tournement 225" thread that you are the proud owner of a new 275! CONGRATULATIONS! What an awesome ride! I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has no use for winter any longer... Good luck with it - I was very impressed with the boat at the shows that I attended....

Best,

Mike (our boat is likely to be named Slingshot.)

striped bass

Reaction score
Bottom Preparation

Did you have a chance to get to the Boat Show and ask about bottom preparation and painting? I'd be interested in what they recommended.
Thanks.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I did make it to the show on Thursday and wound up spending so much time on electronics I never made it to the paint suppliers. So off to Boston again I will go tomorrow morning to talk to the paint suppliers. Report to follow.

striped bass

Reaction score
Look forward to what they have to say. BTW Grady White dealerships are reporting a new clear antifouling spray paint for engine bracket drives that has just hit the market, it's called Trilux Prop/Drive aerosol by Interlux. The idea being that it is clear so you can just spray on and coat everything without it looking messy. You have a T 275 so this is not as critical for you. But for a T225 with an aluminum Gill engine bracket this is helpful because it helps isolate the metal bracket paint from the boat bottom paint the latter of which can have a corrosive affect on the metal drive. Wish I was going there myself.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I will ask about it and let you know. The corrosion issue is a real problem. I ignorantly bottom painted the support strut on my Pursuit aluminum platform which was underwater. After five years it was gone!

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Ok so here's the rub on bottom paint on new fiberglass, I got the same story from both Pettit and Interlux today at the NE Boat show. Clean the hull completely with fiberglass wash solvent to remove any wax or mold release agents. Next paint the bottom with sandless primer and adhere very strictly to the instructions regarding over coating there is a min and max time that needs to be adhered to. The skipsand or sandless primer creates a chemical bond with the gel coat as well as to the bottom paint so long as you apply the bottom paint while the primer is still tacky. Next paint the bottom with one good coat of hard bottom paint even if you plan to use ablative later. The story I got was that the hard bottom paint over the primer will not wear away and will create a better base that can be used for the first year in the water and then the next year you can over coat with two coats of Ablative. With this configuration in New England water you should be able to skip at least one year after the ablative is applied. After that just do touch up as needed do not paint the entire bottom every year as it will build up unnecessarily. Both suppliers suggested using the trick of one color on the hard paint and another on the ablative so that when the ablative wear through it can be clearly seen.

As for the Prop Coat it is basically a silicon skin coat that does not prevent critters from growing on your hull bracket or tabs but makes it easy to remove them when they do. The product is geared towards commercial yards so the minimum quantity you can buy is about five times more then you would need in a year.