Towing vehicle upgrade

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 95 Islander that I tow 90 miles 2 times per year with an 04 1500 Silverado extended cab. When I hook up the trailer, the truck drops about 2 inches and it is very bouncy. For the sum of $120 a pair, I installed Monroe SensaTrac shocks. It has a coil in addition to the shock to increase load capacity by 1000 lbs. What a difference when I hook up the trailer now. The truck is level and the ride is much improved. Probably more noticeable due to the 77K mile old shocks removed but the ride is remarkable. I am more than happy with this set up. It does not effect the ride without a load as well. I just wanted to pass along a very reasonable improvement for towing near the max.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great tip. I do not tow my Grady and more, but I wish I know that tip a few years ago with my old boat. Thanks for sharing.

gw204

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Can you tell me where you got them? I would like to see if i can put them on my suburban.

Pretty much any parts store should be able to get them. NAPA has a listing on them for an '02 Burb (what my wife drives). Haven't forgotten about you man. I still owe you that phone call...

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I picked them up at Advanced Auto. I had a 25% coupon for a grand opening.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For those of you who might need a more robust (and expensive) solution there are the Firestone air bags. I put a set on my pickup when I was hauling around my Goldwing in the bed. I just did the manual inflation version but there is an automatic inflation option that provides an air pump and constant monitoring. Sometimes I wish I'd paid the few extra $ for this. With the air bags, I can easily level the truck whatever the load I put on it. I put the baby air bags on which were rated at 1500 pounds.

Gary 93 Gulfstream

seasick

Reaction score
The old shocks and springs probably were a factor but if the tongue weight is not set correctly, you could have similar handling issues. One of the more important steps in setting up a trailer/boat combo is making sure the tongue weight is in spec.