Trailer for 192 Tournament

Toad

Reaction score
Looking at new trailers. Would appreciate your thoughts on bunks vs. rollers and aluminum vs. all galvanized. If aluminum , is stainless hardware worth the extra cost? I operate insalt/brackish water.
Thanks.
Toad

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I bought an aluminum with all stainless three years ago, haven't looked back since. My T-22 is heavy enough without a steel trailer under it ... :wink:

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Aluminum w/ SS hardware and torsion axles is the way to go.

You are in the range where you could either get a hefty single axle (with 15" rims) or a small tandem. One thing to think about is FL law requires brakes on all axles if the trailer has a GVW of 3000 lbs or more. You are going to need a trailer with a GVW in the range of 5000 lbs for that boat, so if you go tandem, you are looking at some additional $$$ for a second set of brakes.

As far as manufacturers, everyone has their favorites. I've had the best luck with Loadmaster, and have owned 4 of them. All were purchased from Steve at East Coast Trailers (407-718-0066). He can get them delivered anywhere, so getting one from the plant in Tampa to you in Pensacola shouldn't be a problem. He also sells Hi-Tech, which are manufactured in Panama City. They appear to be a quality trailer as well, and it may be cheaper for you to make a drive over instead of having it delivered.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
X2 for aluminum and torsion axles.

If you can get Kodiak brakes do it, they are a much better product than Tie-down.

I have a roadking economy, has the 4" rails and they are just adequate. GVW is 6K. After 3 years the springs are rusty enough to warrant replacement. You don't have that problem with a torsion spring.

My preferrence is for a tandem. The extra set of brakes will run a few hundred more. I have brakes on the front axle only.

Florida requires both axles??? Geez.

Toad

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I looked at Roadking and Magi Tilt this weekend. Have a Loadmaster dealer in Fort Walton Beach.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On Roadking...mine is 3 years old.
I have the rwss series trailer, the RWSS19-21TB, 6Klb GVW model, tandem 14's. It has been adequate and is probably the least cost route. Leaf springs, tie-down disc brakes on the front axle. It has required quite a bit of maintenance and repairs in 3 years, but does the job. I believe they are under $4K.

If you can afford the torsion axle version with Kodiak brakes that would be a step up. The 4.5" I-beams are adequate for these smaller boats. Get at least 5K GVW, tandem or single for a 19' boat.

The design and components are good, they offer decent warranty coverage should you have a component failure.

My master cylinder started leaking in the second year. The referred me directly to Tie-Down Engineering. They argued a bit but then sent me a new unit no charge. I ordered out new pads and installed everything. Bleeding the brakes can be a bit of a chore - the top zerks were frozen so I had to swap the calipers side to side to get them to bleed properly. Within a year or so I'll probably have to install new calipers. Would be nice to upgrade to Kodiak components at that point. The springs are also pretty rusty and I keep thinking I'll get new ones soon. They are relatively cheap, like $30 each or so. The frame, bunks and winch stand are solid. Tires go quickly on these units, but they're pretty cheap too, like $70 ea for the Carlysle 14's, Sporttrac. I've replaced all four tires now. We did have to move the boat up about a foot and cut off the ends of the bunks. They've been re-carpeted as well.

The aluminum trailers are quite light weight, and have a nice spring to them so they pull very well. Saves about 400lbs over a galvanized. I put alloy wheels on mine and keep them and the rails polished - kind of a PITA. But looks really nice with the boat on it. I'm religious about hosing it off after every dunk in the ocean.

Toad

Reaction score
Chris,
That sounds like a lot of maint/repair in three years!
The unit I looked at was listed as RKAV. Tandem , aluminum, torsion axle,and brakes on both axles.
I need to look into the type of brakes after reading the advice here.
Wheels are 13 inch.
GVW is listed as 5400. I estimate the trailer is 800. So the net is fine for my boat which loads out under 3500.
I keep the boat in dry storage, so the trailer is for occasional trip to Lake Martin or to the mechanic. The previous owner kept the boat in a hoist and the original EZ Loader was not cared for. It is in rough shape. I guess I could use it, but I don't want to be a road side photo op or worse.
Thanks for your advice.
Tom

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, it's disappointing when the thing is falling apart. I had to replace a couple of lights too. I think the guy I bought it from let it sit with salt water on it as I have had less corrosion in 3 years than he had in 6 months.

The trailer you picked is a good one. It's probably closer to 600lbs. How much?

I would rather see you with 14" tires, that puts the gvw at 6K, not that you need the capacity, but the bigger tires don't turn so fast at highway speeds. If it will see little use then you should be fine. I would rather have 15's on mine. Some of our trips are 600 miles at 65-70mph, going over to the Colorado River Lakes.

If the original trailer isn't rusted out you might get by with just upgrading it. Put new carpet on the bunks, new fenders, lights, tires. Just have to check it out. If it's a painted trailer that's rusty, you could spend a lot getting it cleaned up.

I spend more time fiddling with the lights than anything. But almost all launches are into the ocean, it's really hard on them. Drum brakes just rust solid in this environ.

Toad

Reaction score
The quote is $3413 with tax. I would add a little for stainless hardware but probably stay with galvanized wheels.
The dealer gave me three written qoutes including tax for my 192. Starting at $2962 for galvanized springs, $3198 for aluminum springs?? and $3413 for torsion and bunks.
I also have a quote on Magic Tilt TML 2044 for $3800 plu tax. 4400 lb net capacity. About the same net as the Road King.
All are aluminum and on 13 inch wheels with disc brakes on both axles.
The dealer, my closest, is in Alabama , my marina is about 8 miles from Alabama. I need to check to see if I would pay another sales tax when I register in Florida.
I don't have the Road King's catalog, to see if they offer 14 inch wheels.
The EZ loader does not have brakes. I guess the law was different when it was purchased. My truck weighs a little over 5000, so I feel ok at low speeds.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those seem like pretty good prices. If you want to see the full line up of roadking trailers, just browse their site: http://www.roadmastertrailers.com

I have heard magictilt trailers are good but zero experience.

$400 for torsion axle is probably the norm. Gee, guess you could buy a few sets of galvanized springs over it's lifetime, huh? For your use I'd skip it. Galvanized wheels are fine, I have a couple left, have used the others for spares on my two trailers (one for dirtbikes).

You should be able to buy the trailer in one state and get a transfer permit to register it in another, paying sales tax in the state of residence.

Generally trailers over about 1500lbs should really have brakes. I used to tow a 4600lb jeep behind my motorhome with no brakes, but it would certainly take a while to stop. You'll tow with piece of mind with a properly setup trailer for sure.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those prices seem high...

You should be able to put a trailer underneath it, with all the features you want, for less than $3K.

Road King will do Kodiak brakes, but its an upgrade. Magic Tilt also uses Tie Down brakes...

As far as the sales tax goes, you will pay it when you register it in FL. There is no title fee for a trailer in FL, as long as it weighs less than 2000 lbs (which it will.) Unfortunately though, you will get hit with the higher fees which went into effect on 9/1.