Trailer options - thoughts?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, took a picture of my hitch from under the truck.. see attached.

Now, if I leave that there, well.. ok.. it might be fine, but only if I add a weight distribution hitch.

However, if I replace it with a better hitch....and then also add weight distribution... well, it would be safer, imo... thoughts?

Now, was thinking of adding these:

For weight distribution:

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP66074.html

And this for the hitch:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-C14017.html

I know, a little more than I need, but that can be a good thing, right?

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 24

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Forget the weight distributing hitch for your boat trailer. This receiver hitch for your truck doubles the tongue weight capacity and doubles the trailer weight capacity. Air bags on your truck and you are good to go but don't leave that load of gravel for the driveway in the bed when you hook up.;)

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_Ford_F-150.htm?style=with+factory+hitch

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, what about anti-sway? I worry about that boat catching a lot of wind etc.

cracks me up... asked on tht... "you do not need a new hitch etc.. go weigh it.."

Ok.. chicken or egg... if I go to weigh it.. and the hitch breaks because it was not strong enough.. lol

I do not need a new hitch if I get weight distribution...if I am getting that, no sense in replacing the hitch.. or weighing it first.. since then, it should easily pull all of it..heh

BTW - I get what you are saying. I am worried that, without the weight distribution system... if something breaks, they will point to that hitch and go, "it said you needed weight distribution to get more than 5k out of it" :p

"We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two".... lol!

Russ

Last edited:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The heavier hitch is able to support higher weight capacities because usually the receiver bracket will have more bolts spread over a greater length of your trucks frame. You will have more than 500 pounds of tongue weight with that boat but less than 1000. That's not saying that you can't hook it right on to the hitch you have now because it will tow it as is but having a hitch that is rated for the actual load is a good thing.

When you pull up out of the ramp after loading the boat and find that the bow is 6 inches back away from the winch roller and you jam your brakes on to get it to slide forward, you don't want to have to worry about your receiver getting bent.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes, but correct me if I am wrong, if I add the weight dist hitch, I should be plenty fine.

Not trying to pinch pennies. I am all for buying what I need. I am only trying to get what I need and not spend 200 bucks I really do not need.

Replacing the hitch is not a bad idea and would be plenty.

Adding sway control is not really beneficial without weight distribution as most the sway only are a pain.

Adding weight distribution negates the real need to do anything else.

Not to say I could not go ahead and add an extra hitch (cannot remove the factory installed one, I would add a second one that goes around it, I am told by Ford)...and then weight dist.

But why spend an extra 184 bucks plus tax?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What is your tow vehicle?
Do you have a 2 inch receiver on the current hitch?
If you can't remove it, but have to go over/around it with a better hitch, it sounds like the frame for a bumper mount ball, where you mount the ball through the bumper into the hitch frame?
That is the set-up that came on my Silverado, and I added a Curt receiver hitch.

If you slam on brakes to move that Islander forward on the trailer, you better worry about your winch post, as well.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Decided to go ahead and spend the extra 185 bucks and get the hitch that handles 10k lb. that gives me a 10k hitch and weight distribution up to 12k

Now, I should be fine.

R

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The specs on that WD system says it won't work on trailer frames wider than 2-1/2". Your trailer will likely have at least a 3" wide tongue.

Will your trailer have EOH or surge brakes? I've heard it's very hard to get a WD system to work with surge brakes.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Trailer has a 2 5/16 tongue, that what you referring to?

Not arguing, btw...trying to understand. Can’t ask a question on the Internet about towing without getting a billion different answers, but I trust you guys so, need to get my head around the issue better.

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Okay, I am on my PC and not my iphone, so can see the screen better and type easier.. heh

Okay, so etrailer.com said they were told that removing the hitch (like the one in the picture I added) that is installed by the Ford factory, could negate my warranty.

They make, for only $10 more, a hitch that goes "under" that hitch (see the attached picture)... and essentially, connects to the length of the frame vs the end of the frame. It made sense.. albeit I do not care to have 2 2" receivers... eh.. I know to use the bottom one.

Now, that takes care of the issue of the hitch itself bringing it up to 10k and 1k tongue.

Then, the e2 WD should connect to my trailer, allowing me to maximize the safety, imo.. with actual sway control, while not losing the ability to tow in bad weather or or losing the ability to back up, without disengaging the anti-sway. IMO... that would have been annoying and defeated the purpose.

So, not sure where the e2 will not fit the trailer. The trailer appears to be standard, but I will quadruple check and cancel the order if need be.

Just ran the VIN and it only says it is a 28ft aluminum boat trailer.

What am I missing?

Oh, the WD says, and was chosen because, it works with electronic braking systems and surge brakes.

Thank you all for the help and input guys... crazy that this is still an issue.. heh

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 12

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Trailer has a 2 5/16 tongue, that what you referring to?
2-5/16" is the ball size. The long, skinny, metal tube that sticks out the front of the trailer is the tongue. The coupler is bolted to the front end of the tongue. The coupler receives the ball. The ball is mounted to the draw bar. The draw bar slides into the receiver/hitch. Your knee bone is connected to your thigh bone.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
lol.. ok, yea, thought that might be what you are referring to.. but.. who the heck knows at this point.

I am inundated with all the input... can't tow it till I get it and get the truck set up.. can't get it, can't get the dang title stuff done.. can't get the damn shippers to go get it.

If I ever try to buy another boat out of state, I hope my wife kicks me.. heh

I'll just have to call the trailer company that made it tomorrow and ask them what the heck the size is and what they recommend.

R

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Curt makes good hitches. But I wouldn't want that 2nd 2" hole, either. You can check to see if Ford offers a heavier duty hitch - maybe one from a 250 or 350. See if Ford offers a 2.5" hitch. But, removing the existing hitch will (should) not void any warranty. Installing an aftermarket hitch will ONLY void a warranty if that hitch causes an issue. And then, the only thing not warranted would be what the hitch damages. For example, the hitch won't void the warranty on your radio.

You probably have a built-in brake controller? I would spring for adding EOH on the trailer before using a WD setup. Not that WD is a bad idea, mind you. But from others I've talked with, getting it setup just right to work with surge brakes is a pain. I have no personal experience with it, though.

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I just need to get the freaking boat here. if I had it here, all of this would be a moot issue and I could walk out there, look, and solve things. Sitting here waiting is driving me insane.... gives time for me to find conflicting answers heh.

I emailed Fastway asking about the limitations of the WD. I think it is annoying about the lower 2nd hitch, but that is the least of my problems. I want the sway control as I have hauled a camper and it almost gave me a heart attack.. lol.. but, I have this truck set up pretty darn nice, so doubt that will be an issue.

So, I am sure whatever I have is overkill. If the WD does not fit, I can send it back.. only 12 bucks for shipping.

Back to work tomorrow....so, less browsing the web.. heh.. will hold off on anything else. This week has been a total bust on trying to get things accomplished other than most the new electronics piled in the living room.
Thanks fellas. Just winding down today... trying to prep so when it arrives, I can just take it over to the place doing the top...and get ready to freaking get on the water

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lol! Just realized....past two days dang smoke detectors beeping....I got them to stop without knocking them off the walls!

So, I DID accomplish something this week lol

Was sick with pneumonia for a month. They put me on major meds (allergy induced) so I had to be really really careful as the meds made me...not fun...lol so, was a rough week;)

The bad meds stopped yesterday. One more week of antibiotics so, will be happy to get past that:p

Thanks for all the help and insight. This is what happens when your boat is not delivered yet....and you are stuck trying to prepare for it.. lol

One thing I thought of, as I looked at that 33 GW... the "Grandness" of these boats is amazing... I get it, off topic.. and I have had other boats, but they just are so cool to look at...that makes me want to go shopping and researching more stuff...... which is NOT a good thing.. lol

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just got a response from the MFG:

John,

Thanks for the email. The brackets should fit onto a 3" frame. The brackets have 4 different hole options, made to fit brackets with 6" frames, 5", 4", and 3".

Let me know if they don't work..

Thanks,
Jacen C.
Fastway Trailer Products
servlet.ImageServer

-------------------------

So, at least that aspect is taken care of heh. Good call checking it though, and thank you.

R

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just got a response from the MFG:

John,

Thanks for the email. The brackets should fit onto a 3" frame. The brackets have 4 different hole options, made to fit brackets with 6" frames, 5", 4", and 3".

Let me know if they don't work..

Thanks,
Jacen C.
Fastway Trailer Products
servlet.ImageServer

-------------------------

So, at least that aspect is taken care of heh. Good call checking it though, and thank you.

R
I thought the WD setup manufacturer was Reese?

But it sounds like the guy is referring to how tall the tongue/frame is, not how wide it is. The specs say:
  • Will not fit trailer frames wider than 2-1/2"
And... will that setup work with a boat trailer tongue? All the pics show it being used on an A-frame trailer.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hrm.. did I link the wrong one?

Oh.. my bad, sorry Dennis.. yea, did not get the etrailer one, sorry.

Here is the one I ended up with... etrailer guy sounded like he had no idea what he was talking about...

https://parts.rvwholesalers.com/col...-hitch-w-hitch-ba-14-5608?variant=34951778504

I responded to them asking about the a-frame trailer issue... let's see what they say. You may be dead on with that aspect.

With the air bags and the upgraded hit, this may be more trouble than it is worth anyway... but wanted some extra sway control.. may have to do without.

Russ

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Update:

Well, this pretty much confirms the WD is overkill more than likely.. lol... now, without airbags... eh.. but, response from the mfg:

John,

Great question. They can just mount right next to each other on the frame. Hopefully this diagram helps!

Thanks,
Jacen C.
Fastway Trailer Products

Attachments

• trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 3

McCann5225

Reaction score
What does your truck spec as it’s trailer maximum? That trailer and boat weigh something. Add it up and I’ll bet your truck is able to tow it as is. Adding stuff for hitching doesn’t make your brakes better or your springs. I carry a variety of inserts for my receiver hitch, different ball sizes and different drops or ball lowering (2”,4”,6”etc).
I’ve towed a lot of trailers.
That’s a lot of boat but an enclosed trailer, which you see all over, catches a lot more wind. The other benefit of boat trailers is the axles are typically back further than other trailers so to carry the heavy part of the boat ie engine(s). Much easier to pull.
Match the trucks current capacity from factory and my bet is your ok.

Reactions: RussGW270