Trailer to small?

ndelloiacono

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The weight is fine. I’m worried about length. What do you think. 49430886-6422-4F26-A8FD-93E9B8005DA8.jpeg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A little short for my liking. For me, to much overhang of the bunks in the rear. Not seeing how that trailer can be rated to handle the weight of the Sailfish being as short as it is.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Definitely too short. Certainly looks undersized for weight, too. Those tires are really tucked up into the fenders - compressing the springs an awful lot and likely overloading the axles, etc, etc.

Edit: Added info about axles

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Looks too short to me. I don't think your tongue weight ratio will be in spec. The fact that the winch stanchion is all the way forward is also a flag. You have no room for adjustment of tongue weight. A general rule of thumb is that the trailer from back end to forward stanchion roller should be equal to or greater than the distance from the transom to the bow ring (eye). Yours looks about two feet short. Besides potential handling issues when trailering, when stored with too much boat behind the trailer, there can be a tendency of the tongue to rise up off the ground and cause the hull or motor to hit the ground. I have seen this happen.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Too small....too short....fenders are sitting almost on the tires which says to me you have too much weight on it.

suzukidave

Reaction score
the slope doesn't help assess it visually. looks too long and trailer tongue looks too short, plus the axles look overburdened. tongue weight might tell a different tale i guess. i have seen bracket boats that hang out further off the stern.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It looks as though you can move your post forward a foot or so. That will move the weight forward- which may be helpful to reduce swaying.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
trailer is at least 2 feet short for that boat. You can't move the post because the pulpit is already overhanging the hitch.
Best thing to do is get the model# of the trailer and look at the Load Rite site. Get the specs of the boat and calculate the model you need.
IMO there is no way that is the right trailer. sorry:(

handinpalm

Reaction score
Absolutely too small. You also want the bunks to support the weight on the transom (motors).

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Can’t imagine the tongue weight being good. Looks to have a lot of weight forward. For use as a yard trailer to pull it and store off season maybe but I wouldn’t want to trailer with it anywhere. Looks unstable.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So 19 days in and OP doesn't come back to respond. Last time he was on here too so he's not even seen our response to his question. Sorry, small rant.

ndelloiacono

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have seen all responses, I took your advice sold the trailer and bought a brand new triple axel.. thank you for all the hlep

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good move. I'm thinking first decent road rash and you would have a blown tire.