Trailering a 330 express

Ajon

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Anyone trailer a 330 express? How much of a pain for long term travel

Lsquared

Reaction score
It's a heavy boat so have something beefy and it is well ver the 10 ft size so permits will be required. A boat hauling company may be your best bet.

colpaw

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I pull my 300 Marlin and need trailer permits in Virginia & Maryland. It pulls nice with 3/4 ton and tri axle trailer.

Ajon

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
How wide is the marlin?

colpaw

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
10 1/2' beam. I really don't see a big difference in pulling the marlin or my previous boat, a 24' wahoo sportfish

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I don't see how one could trailer a 330 - it is huge. Here is a picture of one behind a F350 Crew Cab. It dwarfs it. BoatTruck.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
its not a reasonable thing to do unless you are already a commercial hauler.

a 330 is huge. It is NOT a trailer boat in anybody's universe.
there is a video out on youtube of a 330 on a trailer being launched and if you watch it you will realize how stupid an idea that is.

Reactions: RussGW270

Stampr

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I pull me 330 with my 2019 1500 ram limited w 4 wheel air ride and a hemi , I don’t go over 60 mph and it’s fine , I don’t tow it over 60 miles 08A72E20-D92E-40C3-AB6A-D942C1631DA5.jpeg

Ajon

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
What trailer manufacture do you use?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
While I totally agree, pulling it not the best choice, for some... it is a choice of that or no boat or leaving it at the coast. It is huge... my truck (F-150, 2018) is rated at 9200lbs max so could not and would not and should not tow something like that, and my 270 Islander...it feels it a lot, but that is a much much larger boat.

While a 1/2 ton "will" tow it, does not mean it should. It is only a problem, when it becomes a problem...and then it is too late to say, "I have towed it for 20 years without any issue.." well, "ya just had an issue".. heh

If you want to tow it, get something that can tow it safely.. for you.. and for others, i.e. that can stop when it needs to stop.. and can do so without the boat pushing you.

Just remember... your truck, if a 1/ ton is just that.. 1/2 ton...i.e. 1000 lbs, trying to stop a boat that weghs more than 10 times that... and trailer brakes can and do go out.

Just because you "can" do something, does not mean you should.

R

Stampr

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My boat trailer is surge brakes and will lock up
If u stand on your truck brakes , stopping isn’t the problem, I’ve drove trucks with 160, 000 lbs and 12 axles so I’m used to it , slow is your friend

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It isn't a problem, till it is a problem. Look, I am the first to stand up to people telling me I cannot tow a boat like I own because "my truck will not tow it"...when it is rated to tow it.

If your truck is weighted to tow that boat, by god you should be able to do so.

If you are towing it with a 1500 that is rated anything less than what that boat weighs, then no... I cannot agree one bit that everything is fine, sorry.. heh

Again, not trying to be mean...I had the same discussion all over the place and it irked me to no end, people telling me what I should and should not do.... do whatever ya like, not "my" call, just saying.

Based on what you stated, and the pictures... here is the math:

2019 Dodge
4x4
Hemi

There is not one single configuration on Dodge's site that gives that truck the max towing with a Hemi and 4x4 of 12,750... so, your MAX towing, if you maxed it all out and had a hemi and a 4x4, would be at best 11,400-ish

The boat: 10,840
2 engines you have? - easily 550lbs each so - 1100
Gas @ just 60 gallons weighing 420, let's round up to 500 to be safe...

Before you add anything in, before you add in water for the tank, a generator? the top, equipment.. you are at 12,440 lbs

With all due respect, whether you can pull it, is irrelevant. that is not only unsafe, it is flat out foolish. You place yourself and others in danger when you do that sort of thing, so advising others to do so is not right.

And on that note, I will let it go.

Russ

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is something I would advise against unless for very short runs. Just asking for trouble IMHO.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
By the way, not trying to be mean in the slightest.. heh.. your boat, your rules;)

R

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just a note regarding trailering large loads, you should not be relying on the tow vehicle's brakes for stopping the load. Whether it's a large camper or boat, they need to have their own brakes.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Again, it is not a reasonable thing to do unless you already have a 1.5 ton dual truck and a 20k pound triple axle trailer and are used to the permitting process and really know how to drive a wide load trailer..
There are a lot of rules(designed to keep us safe and keep traffic flowing) and if you think the police won't pull you over, think again.
And they will inspect the trailer and the tow vehicle and your permit and they will give you a ticket for everything they find wrong even if you have a permit.
And you will not be insured if you are not permitted.

It doesn't make sense to go thru all the expense of truck/trailer and hassle of day permits every time you roll.
For any boat wider than 8' (yea you might get away with 8'6" if you follow the rules) my advice is get a slip, hire a pro to launch/haul & block.
Its way cheaper and its easy...and your boat is already floating when you want to use it.

This is out of the NJ oversize regs...oversize is greater than 8'6" wide and/or 13'6" tall....oh, your 330 is probably over 13"6" on a trailer because my 265 is 13'1".

Width = 102’’ (or 8’6”) on the National Highway Network and the NewJersey 102’’ Truck Route Network (see NJAC 16:32); and
Width = 96’’ or 8’ on all other highways.

(c) The towing vehicle shall be a truck, truck tractor or road tractor equipped with dual wheels on the drive axle and a heavy-duty towing hitch.
(d) If the trailer or semitrailer is not more than 10 feet wide, the towing vehicle shall have a ca- pacity of 3/4 ton or more, and if the trailer or semitrailer is more than 10 feet wide, the towing vehicle capacity shall be 1 1/2 tons or more.

a few other rules...
you can only tow between sunrise and sunset
you cannot tow on a Holiday

not trying to be a bummer but just trying to get you to be realistic.
I tried to convince russGW270 to get a slip but he didn't listen;)

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
1/2 tons today just describes the class of truck by size. It used to be based on cargo carrying capacity (payload) and not vehicle weight. Many of today's F-150s have over 2000 lbs. of payload thus making it a 1-ton vehicle by description. Anyway, that is way too much boat for a half ton, especially a loaded out one. Something that size you will exceed hitch weight and payload way before towing capacity.