Trailering with vinyl up?

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I've got a grady 208 with bimini and vinyl enclosure. Does anyone trailer boat with the vinyl enclosure installed? I would be trailering from my house to ramp at max 55 mph. boat ramp is about 10 minutes away. I don't see it being an issue. If I'm on the water I'm running 35 mph with it up. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience good or bad?

Reactions: Lt.Mike

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I've got a grady 208 with bimini and vinyl enclosure. Does anyone trailer boat with the vinyl enclosure installed? I would be trailering from my house to ramp at max 55 mph. boat ramp is about 10 minutes away. I don't see it being an issue. If I'm on the water I'm running 35 mph with it up. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience good or bad?
Personally I would not risk ruining the vinyl, too expensive to replace versus a little time to stow

Reactions: J-cubed

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How stout is the frame or structure for the bimini top? Is there any wiggling or rattling at 35mph when you're on the water? If there is then it'll likely be considerably worse at 55mph on the road. 4 boats ago my parents had an Arima with a bimini top and we didn't want to chance ruining anything so we'd always put it down when cruising or trailering it so that it wouldn't damage anything. Because like PointedRose mentioned, it's quite expensive stuff to buy and/or replace. Thankfully the last 3 boats that I've owned all had a hardtop or skip top to them and rarely ever used the canvas/isinglass inserts because the majority of the time we use boats would be during the summer when it's hot. That being said, I did trailer my 228 Seafarer from Maryland back to Seattle and along the way both radio speakers attached to the hardtop fell off and into the cockpit of the boat. I know it's not an apples to oranges comparison comparing a speaker bracket to a bimini top support, but I suppose just about anything is possible. And while it might not break, the bimini top support could potentially get really bent.

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I leave mine up for 1 mile and 35 mph...at 55 I would take it down.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I never leave it up, why risk it? Takes one minute to stow.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Compromise. If your ramp is 10 minutes away; leave the canvas enclosure up and drive 35-40 in the right lane, letting everyone go around you.

I wouldn't run any faster than that with enclosure up. I agree with the others, why risk it?

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A new enclosure for my Offshore is probably 3K minimum now....I wouldn't risk it.

Sailfish

Reaction score
At 55 mph I would take it down. It will also save you from having to clean bugs off the Isinglass

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Made the mistake of trailering a previous boat I had with the enclosure up. All going well running about 45-50 on 2 lane road until a tractor trailer passed me going opposite direction. The wind cushion he was pushing popped my side curtain when he passed,,, obviously not going 45-50. I don't trailer with them up anymore.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’m that close to my ramp too. If I did it I wouldn’t tow faster than 40.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
In my old boat with a Vista top, I trailered and stored with it down always. My current boat with hardtop the fronts are always off but I leave the sides on.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a small bird go through mine when trailing it with it up. Ironically, I was on my to have new canvas made.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd lower it. Just make sure things in the helm and cockpit are secure.