Transom bang cap: replace with ss, vinyl or glass it over?

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Freedom 275. The original factory aluminum bang cap over the transom has corroded and needs to be replaced. I know several of you all have had similar issues. I'm wondering your thoughts on replacing with stainless steel or vinyl (which I believe Grady uses on newer models) or having a shop enclose the top of the transom in fiberglass permanently.

I saw a beautiful stainless steel cap that @Sdfish put on his boat (https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/transom-cap-bang-plate.25669/page-2) and I'm currently leaning in that direction but wondering whether to install a straight bar or stainless steel side pieces as well.

Some photos of my transom cap are attached.

IMG_20200725_190153.jpgIMG_1653~2.jpg

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Why in the world do they not glass it from the factory??

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Why in the world do they not glass it from the factory??
I know crazy right? I took mine off and sealed the fiberglass with 5200. Then replaced it with what they use today to look oem. Doesn’t warp or anything from the sun and looks clean and same color as gel coat.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I did mine last year, I hoisted the engine off left it connected. The fiberglassed the seam and replaced it with a stainless steel angle. Came our perfect.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
When mounting new to us outboards the cap was in need of attention. For the ease of the project we replaced with a new aluminum cap bedded in 5200 and also some starboard spacers so the motors didn't crush the new cap. Saw the idea on this site recently and it worked well. The starboard was 1/4" and it could have been thicker to clear the cap, it just barely touched as it is.

Attachments

• IMG_3822.PNG
    IMG_3822.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3823.PNG
    IMG_3823.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 89

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I am about to move forward with this project. Still deciding between replacing with the updated OEM vinyl cap ($500 for labor - Grady sent me the part for free), replacing it with a custom stainless steel angle piece ($900) or getting it glassed over ($1300).

I read that Grady's rationale for leaving an unfinished transom edge was to allow for flex and some people that have used 5200 or glassed it over have seen gelcoat cracks appear over time.

Does anyone else have additional experience or thoughts?

seasick

Reaction score
I would avoid a stainless cap. If electrolysis occurs your motor will become the sacrificial anode to the cap. So, aluminum cap or plastic.
Use a good sealant under the cap and not necessarily an adhesive. The cap for all intents and purposes is not structural and isn't going anywhere but it can be stressed by transon movement so it needs something that can flex to seal it.
Just my 2 cents.

wadeatl

Reaction score
When I repowered my 275 I ordered a new cap directly from GW that seems be made from some type of vinyl. It has held up well for ~ 5 years.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Clean under old cap, seal with 5200, replace with new vinyl cap from Grady. Done and costs less then $20 and can still flex when hammering down lol. Oh, and looks factory.

Reactions: Iceman2010

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I love Grady and all. They pride themselves on listening to their customers to make improvements in their boats. I guess new boats having composite transoms and stringers is listening to their customers but why is it Grady seems to be , I say seems to be, the only ones with this cap issue? It was their achelllies heel of their boats as far as water intrusion goes. I suppose putting a vinyl cap that has some flex to it versus aluminum , helped solve the issue ?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree, Bob. I don't understand why this was a problem for as long as it was. It's not like this is a hard thing to address/fix, either. As you noted, plenty of other manufacturers have been doing it better for a long, long time. The problem that can happen with an aluminum cap is that the stainless screws will eventually eat away at the hole in the aluminum that they are secured through. An SS cap obviousy won't have that problem, but then you have to take precautions near the Al engine bracket. My parents just bought an older 192 Tournament and I'll be removing the aluminum cap - still haven't decided if I'll glass the area and/or use the vinyl cap.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I dropped the boat off yesterday to get the transom cap glassed over permanently as well as taking care of a few other gel coat issues. I'll share photos here as they come in.

s7aBklC.jpg

Reactions: leeccoll

Iceman2010

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My new motors go on next week, Grady sent me the vinyl cap for free and will replace it with that

Fishtales

Reaction score
I understand the factory has switched to Plexus adhesive for the joint. This should greatly improve the bond over time.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Engine off, trim off (click to expand)

IMG_20210320_111930.jpg
IMG_20210320_111927.jpg

Starting to prep. You can see the 1/2" aluminum plate embedded in the transom in these shots.

IMG_20210324_141613.jpg
IMG_20210324_141616.jpg

Will post more photos as things progress

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good job. Hopefully there was no intrusion prior to the work.