Transom rebuild/repower

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Hoping to rebuild/repower my 24 grady this winter. I know the transom is wet so before I put a new motor on it I’m planning on rebuilding it. That being said, I have a few options I’d love to hear everyone’s opinions on. Should I:

A: keep transom design the same but close in the two sides more

B: option A plus raise transom height 5”s and run a 30” motor

C: fully enclosed and run an Armstrong bracket or something similar?

Option A would be the easiest with B not being much more difficult. I hate taking in water from other boats/chop while drifting in the ocean. Never had anything ever come close to disaster but the thought is always there. Option C would give me much more confidence in the boat offshore however I’m afraid to commit to a project that big and not have the boat perform correctly. Also fishing around the motor being further out I could see getting annoying. I know having the open transom helps shed water when taking waves over the bow, but I don’t see myself going out in weather like that ever.

Thanks

Jason

UCPA111

Reaction score
Jason...I just did this to my seafarer. I had the cutout transom. I added a bracket from Custom Marine Welding and it is fantastic and was more cost effective than Armstrong.

I have posted several videos of what I did.

I used COOSA board, 1708 fabric, and West System epoxy. It turned out great.

Get a Rockwell vibratory tool with many blades, a 4" angle grinder with 40 grit sanding wheel discs, and your job will be easier.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCATvLu ... RX0gH9FiMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqIrnYQkbtE

I hope this helps you out. It's a big project, but worth it in the end.

Also, I repowered with a 300 Mercury Verado. Supercharged I-6. I am really impressed. I hit 48 with full fuel, 5 people, hard top, and all gear. Cruise at 31 mph....12 gph.... I designed the bracket with extra flotation and it made the attitude of the boat very nice.

Vesselview coupled with the Verado is fantastic. I can dial in trolling in 10 rpm increments and also have cruise control. I was going to go Yamaha but wanted to try something different. No complaints (other than my Mercury dealer). Also, I went with power steering. Silky smooth. No torque steering.

Let me know if you have questions.
Shawn

UCPA111

Reaction score
Also, I troll on Lake Erie for walleye and trout. Fishing around the motor is a non issue. I too was concerned, but it's a not an issue. I run down riggers, Dipsy rods off each side, and then 3 planer board lines off each side. 10 rods on a 22' boat and it works great. Really happy.

I enclosed my transom, and am so happy I did!