Trim Tab Question? HELP!

fishgo208

Reaction score
I ordered Lenco 9X12 standard mount Trim Tabs. Just got them and I think I made a mistake. The instructions say I need 15" to mount them. I have a 208 with swim step. and only have 12"! I will have to return them. It looks like I can only put 12X12 or 12X9 (EDGE MOUNT) the first number being the lenght out the second number being the width that is mounted to the transom. With the edge mount I will only need 11" to mount the acctuator. Any heLp? 12X12 or 12X9 or do I still have it wrong?

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First off, why not Bennets? If you can return the Lencos do some research. Lots of folks on this site love em'. Think the m120 is what you need. Reach out to Tabman on this site, he'll hook you up.

Brad1

Reaction score
I would've steered you towards Bennetts as well, but that's because they're the only brand I'm familiar with. Bennett offers a variety of special mounting parts to handle most situations and they're customer service is 2nd to none.

None-the-less. What if you were to cut a small opening in the swimstep to allow the top of the actuator to be mounted slightly above the top of the swimstep. You'd have to take the swimstep off to do that. I'm thinking a half circle, maybe 2 to 3 inch radius, on the edge of the swimstep where it meets the transom. Again, that would allow the top of the actuator to protude up through the back edge of the swim step. Other than going with shorter actuators, that's about your only option that I can think of.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree, bennets are better quality and have a great customer service department. I had a trim tab switch go after 4 years, it was still under warranty and a new one was sent to me free of charge and I had it in 2 days. Bennet is great at trouble shooting problems and making their customers happy. If you can return them and switch to Bennet, I would do that, unless you are really stuck. Not sure how many guys on here use lenco's on their boats, if so they would have to be aftermarket modifications.

J-cubed

Reaction score
I also suggest exchanging them for Bennett's. I installed Bennett's on my 208 without any problems. Do some measuring. I know they make a model that will fit without any modification of the swim platform. Good luck

fishgo208

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion of looking into bennetts, I ordered the Lencos due to the ease of installation and low maintenance. I trailer my boat. It is not in the water all the time. Again I will see if If I can find some comparisons Lenco vs Bennett. Not sure if I am locked into this yet I will find out tomorrow. I am more concerned at this point with the proper size that should go on a 208??????????/

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
fishgo208 said:
Thanks for the suggestion of looking into bennetts, I ordered the Lencos due to the ease of installation and low maintenance. I trailer my boat. It is not in the water all the time. Again I will see if If I can find some comparisons Lenco vs Bennett. Not sure if I am locked into this yet I will find out tomorrow. I am more concerned at this point with the proper size that should go on a 208??????????/

We installed Bennett 12x9's and have been happy with their performance. Had plenty of room both inside and outside the transom to install, and they've worked well to trim the boat in all conditions we've experienced.

img047.jpg

fishgo208

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
Eric, did you mount the pump in the V berth? Are the ones you have 12" out and 9" across the hinge? Thank's for posting the pic!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you have the measurements mixed up, should be 9" from the hinge to aft edge of tab, and 12" wide, which is the length of the hinge itself. Most boats have wider tabs then long, unless they are go fast k-planes or they are custom ordered tabs. Usually going wider is better then longer, but this is also relative to the size of the boat.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yep hinged side is 12" wide. We ended up mounting the pump in the bilge and running wires up to the helm rather than the other way around. I know Grady usually mounts the pump in the starboard side cuddy storage underneath, but we wnated to get the project done and did not have enough tubing to get all the way up there. We did the installation probably 7 or 8 years ago (owned the boat for 9 years now) and they've worked flawlessly (knock on wood).