TRIM TABS: WHERE DOES GRADY PUT THE PUMP ON A 228??

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Spring project = Trim Tabs by Bennett. Question : where did Grady put the pump for your 228 boat..??

Thanks for the help.

beagleboy

Reaction score
i have 1987 228g and pump is in cabin on starboard side down inside the storage area

hangman1176

Reaction score

On my 22-8 the pump/box is located in the starboard side storage compartment in the cuddy. The unit is attached to the bulkhead in the compartment and the lines all run through a hole that I presume was predrilled during manufacturing. On my 20-8 Adventure the pump/box was fitted to the bulkhead of the transom.

catch22

Reaction score
Nightides,

I installed a set last year on a 228. I mounted the pump in the bilge area, below the factory livewell, on the starboard side. I know they recomend mounting it in a dry location, but I've seen them in that area on plenty of other boats. Not too many choices on that boat anyway, especially with dual batteries and an oil injection tank eating up space on the sides. If you decide to go that route, just measure the depth of the livewell, after you remove it. That will give you a reference mark to work with.
I don't think they supply enough tubing to make the run all the way to the cabin either.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did poke my head in on a 232 and it was on the same starboard bulkhead mentioned. Will take a measurement in the bilge area below the livewell as well.

Can't wait to ride with them on. They should give that little extra bow control to cut through bay chop without any pounding.

Catch22: Was the pipe nipple that came in the kit long enough for a correct install given the transom thickness of the Grady.?

catch22

Reaction score
NIGHTIDES said:
Thanks for the replies. I did poke my head in on a 232 and it was on the same starboard bulkhead mentioned. Will take a measurement in the bilge area below the livewell as well.

Can't wait to ride with them on. They should give that little extra bow control to cut through bay chop without any pounding.

Catch22: Was the pipe nipple that came in the kit long enough for a correct install given the transom thickness of the Grady.?

No.... they give you 3" long nipples, you need 4". The 4" will protrude about 1" inside the transom, giving you enough to grab onto when you tighten the elbow fitting.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Thank you.. Just what I needed to know. I will call tomorrow.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Well I got the 4" nipples and got the tabs in. They also sent me some extra hose for the run up to the cabin but that is not where the pump went.

The starboard and port storage box in this 228 had minimal room to work in so I opted to put the pump on the transom to starboard of the knee. There I can slide it in and out with ease. Will finish the wiring at the helm tomorrow and ground it at the back of the boat.