Trolling Tuna

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For anyone who is just getting into offshore fishing, here is a GREAT video that shows you what NOT to do. This crew trolled way to many rods for the boat size and crew they had. 12 rods at one point, and all spreader bars. More importantly, when fish were hooked, rods were not moved out of the anglers way and many fish were lost. Well worth watching to see what this crew did wrong.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5925963344

SlimJim

Reaction score
That might be the most painful fishing video I have seen. I could only watch in horror the 1st 5 min of it. I like the part where the guy trying to help was making it worse and then when he goes back to turn the boat he hits his buddy in the side while hes trying to reel in a tuna. lol why in the world would they have so many rods out in the water? LOL

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SlimJim said:
That might be the most painful fishing video I have seen. I could only watch in horror the 1st 5 min of it. I like the part where the guy trying to help was making it worse and then when he goes back to turn the boat he hits his buddy in the side while hes trying to reel in a tuna. lol why in the world would they have so many rods out in the water? LOL

You think that was bad,see what happens toward the end after the right,right,right.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Gman25 said:
SlimJim said:

You think that was bad,see what happens toward the end after the right,right,right.
HAHA, please spare me what happens? Maybe I should speed it up to the end. lol Now you know why my dad said always worry about the other guys out there. lmao.

Reel Soon

Reaction score
I watched the whole video! (painful!!!) Too many rods, nobody cleared lines when fish were on, poor communication, dangerous!! The deck was never cleared, the angler didn't follow the fish from one corner to the other, the captain almost gaffed the guy fighting the fish prior to losing it, this is exactly the kind of situation where accidents happen!!! Idiots!!!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't want to bash the crew in this video, but I posted it figuring that many out there would learn a bit just from watching the video. I know there are a lot of guys on here just getting into offshore trolling, hopefully this will help them make less mistakes, or atleast avoid some of them and have a much safer, more productive trip. Atleast most on here appreciate this video, many on other forums where this is posted by the orignal author think there is nothing wrong with this crews technique. It is kind of scary to think of what some guys do on the water and how disasterous they could make a trip. We all spend a lot of $$ to fish offshore, last thing we want is someone getting hurt or an unproductive day due to carelessness. Also, it is nice to not fight with your crew, it makes things much more enjoyable. Tight lines all!!

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gradyfish22
I read your post before attending the Cayon Runner offshore tuna seminar held this Saturday in Altlantic City. Sorry you could not make it. I was surpised when the advised that they always have about 12 lines out. They charter off a 6 pack licence and run a larger boat with 1 mate for every 2 guest, but they even recommeded for smaller outboard boats going to the canyon like ours that we have no less than 7-9 lines out. They highly recommed center outrigger and they even said they do not clear all lines if fish hits on inside lines. They will leave outside outrigger spreader bars out, and even back down the boat if needed with outside line out if fish run will spool the reel. They advised that on outboard boats it is important to look larger and have a good spread of lines and have no less than 7.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do agree with most of the above. This particular crew in the video ran 12 lines which they clearly could not control. I fish 7-8, and on occasion will put out a 9th rod. Any more then that I would not advise unless you rig your boat correctly and gain experience. I only remove any lines that are potentially in the way. You always want to leave your rods in whenever possible, since you will often get multiple hook ups. If it means removing 1-2 rods from the spread I will do it to ensure we land the already hooked fish. This crew in the video ran into more issues because of rod holder locations. They had no room to fight the fish off the transom and lost fish due to it. Anglers were trying to reel rods in to get them out of the way which should never happen when they are hooked up.

When I fish 8 rods, I fish 2 off each rigger. Usually bars on the short and daisy chains on the long. I've had better luck this way, some guys fish it the opposite, it really depends on the wake your boat throws while trolling. Try both, but always the same on each side to see what works best for your boat and model. Flat lines are a skirted ballyhoo, and either a jet or naked ballyhoo. I use flat line clips attached near my transom. This keeps these lines low and out of the way. I then fish two rods down the middle, one short and one long. Short is usually a green machine bar and long is usually a big 13" bird with a deep green machine. I rig these on flat line clips attached to my hardtop. I run my deep rods off my top rod holders on the hardtop so when a fish is hooked, the line remains well above your head. I fish my long riggers off the lower hardtop rod holders. My short rigger lines off my fwd rod holders, and flat lines off the aft rod holders. This allows the center of the boat to be void of any rods or anything to get in an anglers way. No matter what rod hooks up, I can simply pass it over or under another rod and it will be fought directly off the transom, unless the fish is big and runs to a side, then I simply adjust my trolling direction to keep him off the transom. If the fish needs to be chased, I clear all lines quickly and land the fish asap so I get back in the water. All my spreader bars are rigged by myself and are rigged with floats in them, if I slow or stop the boat they float and prevent tangles as long as a rod is passed over or under quickly enough. If your bars do not have floats in them, they should be removed. It really comes down to team work and having a plan. We start by planning to have rods positioned where they will be least likely to tangle with another once hooked. Once a fish is hooked, we have one crew member watch the lines near it and if he feels one may be in the way he assists in adjusting line positions to avoid a tangle or if it really posses a problem, reels like hell and removes the rod until it can safely be put back in. Another guy always stays on the wheel and the crew always communicates. If we have 3 or more fish on, we usually try to clear the inside lines and fight fish. We will leave one guy at the helm and have the others fight fish. When leadering a fish, the boat is slowed and the helm man goes to leader and gaff the fish. On one trip we have 6 rods go off out of 8 when trolling bluefins at the Glory Hole. All fish were roughly 30-60lbs. We landed and released all the fish due to quick thinking. Before anyone picked up a rod, we cleared the remaining lines. We then kept one guy on the helm, had 2 fight fish and one sacrifised himself and went between fighting fish and helping to pass lines over or under one another to keep each line tangle free. We kept the boat moving to keep the fish as close to off the transom as possible. One by one we landed each fish. Yeah we were a little lucky that none came off, but we also benefited from having a game plan and nobody being selfish. On that trip we did not even have an experienced crew, my self and 1 other were, and we had 2 novices onboard. Before we set the spread out, we explained to them how to work it and assigned a job to each, making things less confusing. If everyone talks and stays calm and sticks to whatever your game plan is, you can land most fish in most conditions.

I agree that having more rods in the water helps, just as the canyon runner mentions. A boat that is under 30 ft should stick with 7-9 rods. If it is your first trip ever, go with 7 and once you can put a fish or two in the boat and feel confident, go to 9. If you fish 9 and have never done it before, it may be overwhelming until you land a few fish. I fish 3 bars at all times and 2 daisy chains, this makes the spread feel bigger without making it too complicated. I agree that you can back down with outside bars in the water as long as you back down straight and someone has a clue where they are in the water. also, they need to have floats to stay on top, if they sink, they will usually become more of a hassle then it is worth to elave in. I have done this on other boats, but have not had a situation that warrants this on my own boat yet. As for a center rigger, it would help and I have thought about investing in one, but mid season this year I rigged 2 clips on my hardtop and it worked very well for my crew and I. It kept the lines high and out of the way, as well as down the center and was a lot cheaper. Honestly, I would make a trip before I invest in a center rigger and see if it is really necessary. If you feel you will make enough trips to really warrant spending that kind of money then go for it.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They had no business having 12 lines out with basically 3 anglers. If they really hooked up a school, they'd probably loose all the fish.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
That was a great, detailed summary Gradyfish. Seven to nine lines is a great place to start learning your boat when offshore trolling. After a few seasons of multiple hookups in a spread like this and you will get the feel for where you can or cannot add more lines. It has a lot to do with your crew also. I fished 9 to 11 lines off my Gulfstream with three guys total all of the time. However, the other two were very experenced offshore and with my boat. It makes a difference.
The Canyon Draggin' is being configured to troll 12 to 14 lines. We won't always troll that many, but we can when we need to. Jim at ARC-TEC is custom welding me two high flyers and a center pole that fit in the roof rack. That gives me three lines to put WAY back (750 to 900 feet) for BFT. Then the triple rigged outriggers, four flat lines and downrigger lines will make up the tight spread of bars and chains mainly looking for YFT and LF. Keep in mind, I have an autopilot and a VERY experienced crew.
-
Here is a neat trick where you can add depth to your spread. We like to use downriggers vice plainer rods. You have more depth control and the 48 inch boom allows you to get the ball away from the prop wash. We send a Sport Dredge down to about 10 to 20 feet. Deeper when we see marks, thats a another thread to post. Once the downrigger is at depth, set a flat line out and using a long line release clip and rubberband, attach the ruber band to your mono and the longline clip to the downrigger line and lower it just to the top of the water. Then add your corner flats. You now have four flat lines that you can run all day. When hooked up, they come in fast because you run them VERY short (10 to 20 feet back max). Also, remember when offshore, replace your downrigger cable with 250# powerpro.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Awesome spread ken!!! I have thought about adding downriggers. Not a ton of guys around me use them but I have fished them before on other boats. Right now my budget does not have room for them but in the future that may be something I would like to add. I would love to troll 11 lines at some point, we have had up to 12 out at one point, but with only 2 guys that knew what they were doing, it did not seem practical, so we knocked it down to 8 to keep things simple for the crew I had. Hopefully this year I will have at least 3 experienced guys on all my trips so that will help. After seeing what my fuel bill was, I have a bunch of guys with bigger boats wanting to fish on mine this year, which is always a plus.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Gradyfish22: There are several keys to really successful offshore downrigger use.
- Make sure the boom is 48 inches or more, AND it can handle some weight
- We use a 13# ball. Do not use "wings" or fins
- Replace the wire with 250# power pro
> Add 36 inches of 200# momoi blue diamond as a shock absorber between the ball and the spectra

Our penns sit in the rod holders and are a snap to quickly reel up and move outa the way. Maybe I should start a thread on Downrigger Tuna Tactics....

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Kenlahr said:
Maybe I should start a thread on Downrigger Tuna Tactics....

Since you offered, sure!