Two Simrad 7 inches in Grady 228. Possible?

mous

Reaction score
Can you Accommodate two Simrad Nss7 evo3 (7 inches) INSIDE dash electronics box. Not interested in flush mounted units. Any photo?

Boat is 2004 Grady-White 228 ... no hardtop.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have two Lowrance Carbon 7's in my '04 228 box. Size should be similar.

20170507_193213_resized.jpg

mous

Reaction score
I have two Lowrance Carbon 7's in my '04 228 box. Size should be similar.

View attachment 16786
Looks great ... thank you...
Are you happy with two 7inches ....
I originally planned to have 9 inches new Evo3S but found that i can get two 7s evo3 with the same money...

Another option,
As i just focus on fishing in 100 to 300 feet ... what do you think of one 7 evo3 plus Simrad S2009 dedicated fishfinder... it's 9 inches portrait so smaller in width than the second 7 inches..

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Check the measurement of the units. I know the lid’s measurement is 19-2/8 x 7-7/8 as I’m looking to flush mount

Out of curiosity, what’s your thoughts on putting inside vs flush mounting? I was having the same debate since I like that compartment but didn’t think I would get much use of it with 2 large units inside. I figured the locked hatch would only keep honest people from stealing them.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yea, I was looking around to find someone to redo the dash in fiberglass for me to be able to fit 2 9", since I already have one.. heh. Needs like 1/2" more... so, should be "doable" with the right person. We will see ;)

R

seasick

Reaction score
I always remove my electronics and take it indoors when not in use. The potential for theft is greatly reduced and the screens take less abuse from the weather, especially the heat when the boat is covered. I use helm covers on both my boats and evem those can cause a lot of heat to build up under them.
I wish the manufactures would produce electronics with removable 'heads' like they have for car radios. That would allow flush mount of the base and removal.

Reactions: RussGW270

mous

Reaction score
Check the measurement of the units. I know the lid’s measurement is 19-2/8 x 7-7/8 as I’m looking to flush mount

Out of curiosity, what’s your thoughts on putting inside vs flush mounting? I was having the same debate since I like that compartment but didn’t think I would get much use of it with 2 large units inside. I figured the locked hatch would only keep honest people from stealing them.
Keeping electronics safe is my main concern .... i plan to have custom made Stainless steel electronics box cover ... not that funny plastic original one ... also will secure the box from inside ...

Boat is berthed in a marina 70 miles away and sometimes it takes me a month to get a free slot from work to go fishing.
Removing electronics after every trip was my option ... until i broke one of the connector pins in my Raymarine... unfortunately the unit is unrepairable now . NO MORE ELECTRONICS REMOVAL.

No one commented on Simrad S2009 ... seems unpopular option

Reactions: Blaugrana

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I always remove my electronics and take it indoors when not in use. The potential for theft is greatly reduced and the screens take less abuse from the weather, especially the heat when the boat is covered. I use helm covers on both my boats and evem those can cause a lot of heat to build up under them.
I wish the manufactures would produce electronics with removable 'heads' like they have for car radios. That would allow flush mount of the base and removal.

That is actually a really good idea. I am surprised they have not done it already.

Me, I keep mine far away from people.. like 4 hours.. lol ;)

The beauty of having it at home. Other than that, eh.. insurance, I guess.. but yea, always a concern.

R

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
You really have to be careful mounting flush with the new units. As with everything on a walk around its a PIA to modify. Many of the new units require rear access for updates. Very easy to do on a center console, but our little glove/E-box doesn't have rear access. The little micro-SD on the front is disappearing on many units. You can always pull it or some units can be updated via Bluetooth. Just something to consider.

Personally, I don't mind the SD on the front going away. I have had a few fail over the years on my Mako. It was a known defect with Garmin years ago. I had one replaced for free after the magnet bracket rusted, corroded my SD card and shorted the unit.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks great ... thank you...
Are you happy with two 7inches ....
I originally planned to have 9 inches new Evo3S but found that i can get two 7s evo3 with the same money...

Another option,
As i just focus on fishing in 100 to 300 feet ... what do you think of one 7 evo3 plus Simrad S2009 dedicated fishfinder... it's 9 inches portrait so smaller in width than the second 7 inches..

I like the two 7's, when they work. I've had issues with the screens locking up. Lowrance just repaired them and will see how they do next week. If I still have issues, I'm looking at a single Simrad NSS12 to replace them. Looking at the measurements, the Simrad should fit and can use all the accessories already installed. The Totalscan ducer, remote Point-1 GPS antenna and the Sirius WX unit.

mous

Reaction score
I like the two 7's, when they work. I've had issues with the screens locking up. Lowrance just repaired them and will see how they do next week. If I still have issues, I'm looking at a single Simrad NSS12 to replace them. Looking at the measurements, the Simrad should fit and can use all the accessories already installed. The Totalscan ducer, remote Point-1 GPS antenna and the Sirius WX unit.
can you fit 12 inches inside the electronic box and still be able to see the full screen? I think Grady needs to redesign the electronic box on smaller models to accommodate new bigger electronics that are available nowadays. At the time they designed these boxes, 9 inches would be a massive screen :)

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
can you fit 12 inches inside the electronic box and still be able to see the full screen? I think Grady needs to redesign the electronic box on smaller models to accommodate new bigger electronics that are available nowadays. At the time they designed these boxes, 9 inches would be a massive screen :)

According to the measurements I see online, 9.47" tall x 14.85" wide, this includes bracket, it should fit the box. The unit has a 1/2" - 3/4" border around the screen which will help center it in the box.

Screenshot_20201023-111331_Chrome.jpgsim000-13235-001-2.jpg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My config using a Humminbird that is compatible running my Cannon downriggers:

20200303_134508.jpg

Reactions: Blaugrana

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, I have a 1242xsv in the space in question. It is tight but can been seen easily.