Underwater lights?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Probably opening a can of worms here, but what are the best transom lights to install? I've done search on here and it pulls up old discussions, looking for current info.

Was looking at Lumitec Seablaze X2 in White/Blue, but at over $300 each, want to make dang sure they are good and I want to go that route. Looked at Coastal Night Lights also, I'm running CNL spreaders and am happy with them. Can buy 2 of them for half the cost of the Lumitec but also not near the lumens either. I don't use mine to fish, strictly wine and cheese cruising or anchored up hanging out. My little ole drain plug light does pretty good for what it is. Just tossing some ideas around.

Thanks
20171127_115900-1512x2016.jpg20180127_194232-1222x1629.jpg

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't drink the Lumitec koolaid. I am sure they are good lights but who can tell if the light they are seeing came from 300 dollar lights or 100 dollar lights? I put Coastals on a previous boat and they worked very well. That said, if the extra bucks don't make you flinch, bragging rights do have a certain value. It's like the guy that hands you a cold beer on his boat and makes sure you know that it came out of a Yeti cooler and not an Igloo. The beer is the same temp but it makes the guy feel like he's livin high.:)

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good friend of mine is running Coastal's and is satisfied with his also. Probably the smarter route to go. If I was fishing for a living or serious hard core fishing, then maybe a different route.

My ice cold Bud Light in my Yeti is better than your ice cold Bud Light in your Igloo!!!;):cool:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree. That being said, why would anyone drill extra holes in a boat? Especially a wood cored boat.

Reactions: ChiTownTommy

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Reactions: Justfishing

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Reactions: Lt.Mike

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well, I guess I'll be the one that got taken. I went the Lumitec Seablaze on my previous boat about 5 or 6 years ago and was very happy with them. Really lit up the water well. Can't say that I wouldn't have been equally happy with something less costly. But they seemed to have the best reputation at the time.

Also, putting all the light-emitting power between the engines (or directly behind a single) would seemingly impede the area of water 'lit up'. I understand that this drawback may well be offset by not drilling another hole or two in the transom.

Rob

garyroe

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lumitec is a good light. I also use this. While they are a bit expensive, these lights offer great value for money since they come as a pair. It has high-quality marine-grade construction and offers ease of installation.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I am CHEAP!
I use these below.

$16 lasted two seasons. Out now but might just be connection...
Not crazy bright but brought up bait at dock. Offshore let us see chum drift, fish coming up on line, brought in squid....looked nice
White 27LED 50W Underwater Boat Marine Transom Light 316 Stainless Steel Pontoon

I use similar to this offshore on overnighters...out the vent window over the side. Crazy bright, never gets covered in algea, brings in squid. I paid about $40 incl shipping.
Sparky fishing light 24" 4 amp -5630 Blue led 10' cord-cigarette plug

In the past I used a drain plug type below. worked several seasons. I like no hole drilled but reaching down in bilge to connect was a pain.
SUPER WHITE LED BOAT DRAIN PLUG LIGHT 1200 LUMENS UNDERWATER GARBOARD 12v / 24v

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am CHEAP!
I use these below.

$16 lasted two seasons. Out now but might just be connection...
Not crazy bright but brought up bait at dock. Offshore let us see chum drift, fish coming up on line, brought in squid....looked nice
White 27LED 50W Underwater Boat Marine Transom Light 316 Stainless Steel Pontoon

I use similar to this offshore on overnighters...out the vent window over the side. Crazy bright, never gets covered in algea, brings in squid. I paid about $40 incl shipping.
Sparky fishing light 24" 4 amp -5630 Blue led 10' cord-cigarette plug

In the past I used a drain plug type below. worked several seasons. I like no hole drilled but reaching down in bilge to connect was a pain.
SUPER WHITE LED BOAT DRAIN PLUG LIGHT 1200 LUMENS UNDERWATER GARBOARD 12v / 24v

Any recommendations for underwater dock lights to use for bait fish? I was searching for something to plug into the dock but everything was in the 100-200 range. These links you have are some nice options for DC

Iceman2010

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You guys have me thinking about putting in the underwater lights on boat now

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
On my last boat I installed the coastal night lights. Initially started with 2, then added a third in between the motors. Overall they worked, every year I would loose a couple of the actual small lights. Over the course of 6 seasons I think I replaced each of the lights once. My current boat came with 2 oval underwater lights ( not sure of brand) they never really worked and got water intrusion so i removed them and installed new lumitecs last season. The difference in light power compared to the coastals are night and day. They also change color from blue to white. The other thing I noticed is that they don't tend to get as much growth on them as the coastals did. Maybe its the smooth or vs the rough surface IDK. But I find myself not having to clean them nearly as frequently.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I installed 2 Ocean LED X16 lights a few years ago. They change colors and work and look great. However, one went out on last trip in Fall and haven’t had time to troubleshoot. Not sure if fuse or other issue. I had a pair of green only ones for 3-4 years but one failed when water got inside the unit. These are expensive lights and not perfect. Will report back when I figure out what’s going on.8C5DFD71-3D7B-4B12-A450-0B1DFDAE1199.jpeg

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I had sea blaze lights on my last boat for like 6 or 7 years without a single problem. When I bought the Grady the shape and holes were different and 2 of three lights were bad. Replaced with single color blue shadowcasters because of the ease of surface install and they fit the old screw holes exactly to what was there originally ( not sure what those were but not shadowcaster). I’m happy with the lights so far but I keep my boat in a rack and haven’t had them long enough to form an opinion on their long term durability. My electronics guy uses them all the time and likes them.

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had 2 Ocean LEDS under the boat, looked great, until one lost the hole LED part, fell off. I went for my lungs and bought 6 Lumitec Seablaze X2. 2 are going under the boat to replace the old lights and 4 on the transom.
I had Lumitec on my Marlin and they were great. Expensive but worth it.
I'll post a pic once I'm in the water.

Ling king

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Lumitec are super bright. One time purchase, last the life of the boat. Very easy install.

Attachments

• FD9B6F16-3221-47CA-812A-D66DD33BBA1B.jpeg
    FD9B6F16-3221-47CA-812A-D66DD33BBA1B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

ocdansar

Reaction score
Got 3 of these from west marine. Blue/white. They were like 150. Each check out the stainless scuppers .image.jpgimage.jpg