SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Hi All,

I am shopping for a used Grady White.
I have owned a lot of boats from 19' to 32'
Never owed a boat with outboards.

I live in Redondo Beach CA and with slip the boat year round.

Usage- Local fishing, a few trips to Catalina a year- 26 miles there and back ( morning seas always smooth- afternoon returns always 2-3 ft following seas)
...and basically will hang out at the slip as a floating patio mostly.
( might add that most of my boats cruised at about 20knts....so I am never been in a hurry on the water. 1 vs 2 outboards?

Like to get some feedback on a couple of boats I am considering....performance, price fuel usage.

2006 Gulfstream 232 Single Yamaha 250 four stroke -737 hours $28,000

1996 Voyager 24 Twin Yamaha 225Vx two stroke 329 hours $24,000 no trailer

1980 240 Offshore 2001 Yamaha 250 ox66 $17,000

I am leaning towards a boat 24' in length in the $20-$30k range with 1 outboard????

Any help, recommendations and insight would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Sam

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Depends really. Believe it or not the 23’ Gulfstream is a “Bigger” boat than the 24’ Voyager/Offshore because of the beam. It runs more like a 25 footer. It’s a GREAT boat. That said, with a single screw it can be a chore to handle and it rides better with twins. However, lot’s of happy owners with the single. I’ve run both and would always want it with twins. However, if that Gulfstream is in good shape that is a fair price, you get a 4 stroke with relatively low hours (You need to check the exhaust for corrosion). That Offshore could be fine but it could also need transom, tanks, etc. Voyager looks good but If you are confident in your boat handling skills the Gulfstream will be the best ride of the bunch and it’s got a 4 stroke on it. I’d start there but that is JMO.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree that the Gulfstream is in a class by itself. I also agree that twins are more appropriate but many have single engines. That said, a single 300 is a good match. 250 may be a tad underpowered in rough seas.
I would go for the 'newest' model year and a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke hands down.
All that favors the 232 Gulfstream.
Now for the negatives:
Those model year 250s are known for exhaust corrosion issues that if not fixed or undetected can lead to catastrophic failure.
Secondly, something just doesn't feel right with the price. 2006 232s are usually asking $48,000 to 65,000.
So buyer beware.
Maybe the motor is shot, who knows, but if so and the rest of the boat is OK, a repower could very well be a good investment

Reactions: SamRB

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the first post! A few things... if that 2006 GW 232 Gulfstream is the one with a decal of Stewie from Family Guy on it and says "Quahog, RI" then it's very much a scam. Another forum member sent me a link to it the other day on Craigslist where it was "for sale" in Jacksonville, Florida for I think the same $28k price. Yet it's really being listed for sale in Virginia on BoatTrader.com for $57k, as linked below. You know what they say about life... if it sounds too good to be true then it usually is, and that is a "too good to be true" kind of price, even on the east coast. Of which, I think you're definitely going to have to look on the east coast in order to find anything decent for less than $30k. I actually just bought my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer back in Maryland earlier last October for $26.5k that included the boat, motor and trailer. I rented a U-Haul truck and trailered her back to Seattle over 3,000 miles over the next 4.5 days and did all of that because of the price. There was an identical boat that sold out here on the local Seattle Craigslist ad for $55k a few days after I got back into town with my boat. So coming from somebody that looked for a 228 Seafarer for well over a year, I don't think you're going to find any good deals on Grady's out here on the west coast. As Seasick mentioned, I'd go for the newest model year you can afford and would also go down to your local marina or Grady White dealer on a nice day, see if you can make some friends and if they'll let you step on their boat and look around. I think that will definitely help you decide more easily as to which boat is going to be best for you. I personally live in the Seattle area and prefer smaller boats that are more fuel efficient and with a single main motor. Around here we have "vessel assistance" options on our insurance, I think mine is an extra $30 a year, for towing while on the water. Which between that, the relatively mild and protected waters around here along with paying extra for a boat with twin motors and maintenance costs/upkeep, I don't personally have any reasons to get a boat with twin motors on it. I row out to my boat on a mooring buoy from my beach cabin on Whidbey Island and basically start trolling for salmon as soon as I take the boat off the buoy.

Before I bought my 228 Seafarer I went to the local GW dealer that had a 232 Gulfstream for sale, stood on it and wasn't a fan. I didn't need the extra wide 9'3" beam, I wasn't a huge fan of the layout, the stair/step up to the helm area and especially not the bunk bed style cabin. I also hear in some states that you need a special towing permit for towing a 232 Gulfstream because it has the wider beam on it. Not sure about your particular state or not though. I like my 228 Seafarer better because it feels like the space is more usable, the floor is all one level and without any steps/stairs and I like the cabin layout much better. On top of that, it feels like a bigger boat since it has the transom bracket on the back and I've heard the overall length of the boat is like close to 25'+. Also, it's very easy to trailer as well as launch/retrieve/fish/captain and just about anything else on your own. Not saying that 232 Gulfstream is impossible or even difficult to do all of those things with, but it's going to be easier with a smaller, lighter and most importantly narrower boat. That being said, the 232 Gulfstream is a longer, wider and heavier boat so I'm sure it's likely going to do better in the chop and other elements better than my 228 Seafarer will, because of course it's a considerably larger boat. But my 228 Seafarer handles the waves and chop just fine, and way better than my previous boat which was a 21' Arima. That thing would pound like crazy in the 1'-2' chop and was pretty much unbearable. I have seen several Grady White 248 Voyager's for sale over the last several months for pretty decent prices and they have an 8'6" beam as opposed to the 9'3" beam like on the 232 Gulfstream. You can also get them with a single motor or twin main motors, just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Some guys like twins for redundancy in the event of one motor failing that you can still get in on the second one, which you could also do with a single main motor as well as a kicker motor. To me, I personally don't see the need for my particular application as I'm not going 40-50 miles each way to go fishing. I saw the below boat on Craigslist the other day in South Carolina while I was casually perusing the internet for boats... doesn't appear to be too bad of a boat, although I'm assuming there's no trailer since there isn't one pictured or even mentioned. With 232 Gulfstream's still being produced I think they're going to bring more of a premium than a 248 Voyager, that was discontinued I believe in the early 2000's?

Last edited:
Reactions: SamRB

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Twin 225 2 strokes on the Voyager? If that's true I think you can knock that one out, that's 100 HP above the rated max and undoubtedly more weight than the boat was designed for. Seems like a potential recipe for disaster you might as well avoid.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's a 232 Gulfstream on eBay, although it seems like it's possibly a scam with regards to the location and wanting a wire transfer from a seller than has no feedback at all.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am shopping for a used Grady White.
I have owned a lot of boats from 19' to 32'
Never owed a boat with outboards.

I live in Redondo Beach CA and with slip the boat year round.

Usage- Local fishing, a few trips to Catalina a year- 26 miles there and back ( morning seas always smooth- afternoon returns always 2-3 ft following seas)
...and basically will hang out at the slip as a floating patio mostly.
( might add that most of my boats cruised at about 20knts....so I am never been in a hurry on the water. 1 vs 2 outboards?

Like to get some feedback on a couple of boats I am considering....performance, price fuel usage.

2006 Gulfstream 232 Single Yamaha 250 four stroke -737 hours $28,000

1996 Voyager 24 Twin Yamaha 225Vx two stroke 329 hours $24,000 no trailer

1980 240 Offshore 2001 Yamaha 250 ox66 $17,000

I am leaning towards a boat 24' in length in the $20-$30k range with 1 outboard????

Any help, recommendations and insight would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Sam
Sam,
You have a tough decision to make, the good thing the Gulfstream and Voyager are great choices. I own a Seafarer 228 and love it. I grew up in Dana Point Ca, so I am very familiar with the waters you will be fishing. My boat has the 2 stroke 225 and they are great engines but are thirsty. I regularly fish mine for Tuna here in Oregon and the ocean up here is not nearly as nice as it is in So Cal. I have my boat equipped with all the proper safety equipment and I regularly fish 50 plus miles off the beach weather permitting. I have fished a bunch on a voyager (advanced) and that is a wonderful boat in most all conditions. I have also spent several days on the Gulfstream and it fishes very well. The added beam gives it a stable feeling but doesn't ride as well as the voyager(in my opinion ). Good luck and keep us posted which one you end up with.
Cheers, Brad

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 2003 Gulfstream with original twin F200's, that I purchased last year. Love the boat, and am glad to have twins for maneuverability in the harbor. There have been reports of that generation of Yamaha 4'strokes having corrosion issues. Mine still have the original lower unit, but do not have any significant corrosion - so not all of those motors are afflicted. My only regrets with twin engines is that I have twice the maintenance costs - almost $3K/yr ea for 100hr service from a qualified mechanic. Also, my engine bracket has no room for a swim ladder, so I could not use that bracket to get in/out of the boat. I paid about $55K for this boat, and last year that seemed like a very fair price during Covid. I honestly think that looking at $20K - $30K for a boat like this is looking for trouble. I'd be concerned about a wet transom or deck in that price range. But if you find one for that price and it passes a thorough survey, then it would be a great buy.
About the Gulfstream overall, I really like the beam and cockpit size for my generation. The newer generations have a very thick transom that holds the fishbox, so you lose about 1' of cockpit length. I really don't like that - it seems like a really shallow (bow-to-stern) cockpit to me. My other criticism is that the cabin is pretty much useless. It would be difficult to sleep in such a small cabin, IMO. We store gear in ours, but it's not setup for meals or sleeping quarters. I'd think about that, if you're planning to overnight in Catalina. Hope this helps.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have a 1982 Offshore....while I love the boat and fish the hell out of it, I would say it is not really configured for a "floating patio". The beam is a bit narrow at 8ft and the seating is arranged for maximum fishing room....not for entertaining at the dock.
Just my .02.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with whatever you decide.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
This boat might be an option for you (might be out of budget, though).

The Grady dealer who has it is Baert Marine. They are very good people.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This boat might be an option for you (might be out of budget, though).

The Grady dealer who has it is Baert Marine. They are very good people.

That boat has been listed on BoatTrader.com for months and months now. I thought that it had sold, but I guess that it hasn't and think it's likely because of the price. This one popped up on BT the other day and if I was still in the market for a 228 Seafarer, this is the one I'd be looking at.

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Depends really. Believe it or not the 23’ Gulfstream is a “Bigger” boat than the 24’ Voyager/Offshore because of the beam. It runs more like a 25 footer. It’s a GREAT boat. That said, with a single screw it can be a chore to handle and it rides better with twins. However, lot’s of happy owners with the single. I’ve run both and would always want it with twins. However, if that Gulfstream is in good shape that is a fair price, you get a 4 stroke with relatively low hours (You need to check the exhaust for corrosion). That Offshore could be fine but it could also need transom, tanks, etc. Voyager looks good but If you are confident in your boat handling skills the Gulfstream will be the best ride of the bunch and it’s got a 4 stroke on it. I’d start there but that is JMO.
Thank you for your response....that is a lot of really great info....after your comments, I think I need to find a boat with a 8 1/2 foot beam.
Still trying to figure out the best model and engine configuration. 1 or 2...2 stroke or 4 stroke .....guess it depends on the model. My son is a spear fisherman so I definitely need a swim step. I will keep the boat in a slip but would be nice to be able to tow to a lake or the river for a vacation and have a boat and not to need an oversized tow permit....so i think the Gulfstream is out.
BTW the 2007 Gulfstream at $28,000 ad is a scam....Shout out to the other member that mentioned!
Great Community!

The search continues = )

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
I agree that the Gulfstream is in a class by itself. I also agree that twins are more appropriate but many have single engines. That said, a single 300 is a good match. 250 may be a tad underpowered in rough seas.
I would go for the 'newest' model year and a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke hands down.
All that favors the 232 Gulfstream.
Now for the negatives:
Those model year 250s are known for exhaust corrosion issues that if not fixed or undetected can lead to catastrophic failure.
Secondly, something just doesn't feel right with the price. 2006 232s are usually asking $48,000 to 65,000.
So buyer beware.
Maybe the motor is shot, who knows, but if so and the rest of the boat is OK, a repower could very well be a good investment
Thx for the insight and yes that ad for the Gulfstream was a scam....sounded to good to be true....glad I got a heads up from another Member before i even responded to the ad.
Appreciate your comments....learning as i go!

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
I have a 2003 Gulfstream with original twin F200's, that I purchased last year. Love the boat, and am glad to have twins for maneuverability in the harbor. There have been reports of that generation of Yamaha 4'strokes having corrosion issues. Mine still have the original lower unit, but do not have any significant corrosion - so not all of those motors are afflicted. My only regrets with twin engines is that I have twice the maintenance costs - almost $3K/yr ea for 100hr service from a qualified mechanic. Also, my engine bracket has no room for a swim ladder, so I could not use that bracket to get in/out of the boat. I paid about $55K for this boat, and last year that seemed like a very fair price during Covid. I honestly think that looking at $20K - $30K for a boat like this is looking for trouble. I'd be concerned about a wet transom or deck in that price range. But if you find one for that price and it passes a thorough survey, then it would be a great buy.
About the Gulfstream overall, I really like the beam and cockpit size for my generation. The newer generations have a very thick transom that holds the fishbox, so you lose about 1' of cockpit length. I really don't like that - it seems like a really shallow (bow-to-stern) cockpit to me. My other criticism is that the cabin is pretty much useless. It would be difficult to sleep in such a small cabin, IMO. We store gear in ours, but it's not setup for meals or sleeping quarters. I'd think about that, if you're planning to overnight in Catalina. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your insight....sounds like you have a really nice boat and got it at a fair price.
What ever I decide on I will get a FULL survey on.
Really not planning on sleeping on the boat when I go to catalina...will stay at a hotel or rent a house for a week. Friend of mine has a 30ft mooring in Avalon so it would be nice to have the boat there for a island vacation.
And yes that Gulfstream at $28,000 was a scam....think I am going to have to increase my budget from $20-$30k to $30-$50K

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Th
I have a 1982 Offshore....while I love the boat and fish the hell out of it, I would say it is not really configured for a "floating patio". The beam is a bit narrow at 8ft and the seating is arranged for maximum fishing room....not for entertaining at the dock.
Just my .02.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with whatever you decide.
x Uncle Joe....great advise....appreciate your .02....owe you some change= )
Tight Lines!
Sam

Reactions: Uncle Joe

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Sam,
You have a tough decision to make, the good thing the Gulfstream and Voyager are great choices. I own a Seafarer 228 and love it. I grew up in Dana Point Ca, so I am very familiar with the waters you will be fishing. My boat has the 2 stroke 225 and they are great engines but are thirsty. I regularly fish mine for Tuna here in Oregon and the ocean up here is not nearly as nice as it is in So Cal. I have my boat equipped with all the proper safety equipment and I regularly fish 50 plus miles off the beach weather permitting. I have fished a bunch on a voyager (advanced) and that is a wonderful boat in most all conditions. I have also spent several days on the Gulfstream and it fishes very well. The added beam gives it a stable feeling but doesn't ride as well as the voyager(in my opinion ). Good luck and keep us posted which one you end up with.
Cheers, Brad

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Hi Brad,
Thx for the post....lots of good insight.
After lots of comments from the community i am leaning towards a model with an 8 1/2 ft beam....didn't realize the Gulfstream had a bigger beam. I am going to start considering a Seafarer 228....if you are out in the northwest 50 miles offshore I'd say that is a sound recommendation for Redondo to Catalina and back!
BTY I lived in Seattle for 5 years and raced 10 meter class sailboats....still got my Mustang Float Coat and Line 7's Foul Weather gear...so yeah, whole different ball game up north than sunny So CAL.
Fair Winds my friend and thanks again.
Will try to keep everyone updated on the search.

Full Limites!
sam

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the first post! A few things... if that 2006 GW 232 Gulfstream is the one with a decal of Stewie from Family Guy on it and says "Quahog, RI" then it's very much a scam. Another forum member sent me a link to it the other day on Craigslist where it was "for sale" in Jacksonville, Florida for I think the same $28k price. Yet it's really being listed for sale in Virginia on BoatTrader.com for $57k, as linked below. You know what they say about life... if it sounds too good to be true then it usually is, and that is a "too good to be true" kind of price, even on the east coast. Of which, I think you're definitely going to have to look on the east coast in order to find anything decent for less than $30k. I actually just bought my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer back in Maryland earlier last October for $26.5k that included the boat, motor and trailer. I rented a U-Haul truck and trailered her back to Seattle over 3,000 miles over the next 4.5 days and did all of that because of the price. There was an identical boat that sold out here on the local Seattle Craigslist ad for $55k a few days after I got back into town with my boat. So coming from somebody that looked for a 228 Seafarer for well over a year, I don't think you're going to find any good deals on Grady's out here on the west coast. As Seasick mentioned, I'd go for the newest model year you can afford and would also go down to your local marina or Grady White dealer on a nice day, see if you can make some friends and if they'll let you step on their boat and look around. I think that will definitely help you decide more easily as to which boat is going to be best for you. I personally live in the Seattle area and prefer smaller boats that are more fuel efficient and with a single main motor. Around here we have "vessel assistance" options on our insurance, I think mine is an extra $30 a year, for towing while on the water. Which between that, the relatively mild and protected waters around here along with paying extra for a boat with twin motors and maintenance costs/upkeep, I don't personally have any reasons to get a boat with twin motors on it. I row out to my boat on a mooring buoy from my beach cabin on Whidbey Island and basically start trolling for salmon as soon as I take the boat off the buoy.

Before I bought my 228 Seafarer I went to the local GW dealer that had a 232 Gulfstream for sale, stood on it and wasn't a fan. I didn't need the extra wide 9'3" beam, I wasn't a huge fan of the layout, the stair/step up to the helm area and especially not the bunk bed style cabin. I also hear in some states that you need a special towing permit for towing a 232 Gulfstream because it has the wider beam on it. Not sure about your particular state or not though. I like my 228 Seafarer better because it feels like the space is more usable, the floor is all one level and without any steps/stairs and I like the cabin layout much better. On top of that, it feels like a bigger boat since it has the transom bracket on the back and I've heard the overall length of the boat is like close to 25'+. Also, it's very easy to trailer as well as launch/retrieve/fish/captain and just about anything else on your own. Not saying that 232 Gulfstream is impossible or even difficult to do all of those things with, but it's going to be easier with a smaller, lighter and most importantly narrower boat. That being said, the 232 Gulfstream is a longer, wider and heavier boat so I'm sure it's likely going to do better in the chop and other elements better than my 228 Seafarer will, because of course it's a considerably larger boat. But my 228 Seafarer handles the waves and chop just fine, and way better than my previous boat which was a 21' Arima. That thing would pound like crazy in the 1'-2' chop and was pretty much unbearable. I have seen several Grady White 248 Voyager's for sale over the last several months for pretty decent prices and they have an 8'6" beam as opposed to the 9'3" beam like on the 232 Gulfstream. You can also get them with a single motor or twin main motors, just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Some guys like twins for redundancy in the event of one motor failing that you can still get in on the second one, which you could also do with a single main motor as well as a kicker motor. To me, I personally don't see the need for my particular application as I'm not going 40-50 miles each way to go fishing. I saw the below boat on Craigslist the other day in South Carolina while I was casually perusing the internet for boats... doesn't appear to be too bad of a boat, although I'm assuming there's no trailer since there isn't one pictured or even mentioned. With 232 Gulfstream's still being produced I think they're going to bring more of a premium than a 248 Voyager, that was discontinued I believe in the early 2000's?

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Hi Mustang65,

Wow....thank you so much for your comments....and YES....I was looking at the SCAM Boat STEWIE! i was about to call one of my buddies to see if he wanted to go look at the boat with me cuz it was supposedly located near downtown LA....I was born at night but not last night.... and it sounded too good to be true.... so i was going to take by Bud so I didn't get Jacked by myself.
Thanks for saving us the 20 mile trip. BTY its still on CL!

Seems a lot of guys also really like the 228 Seafarer. I haven't really been considering that model but with all the positive reviews....i need to put it on my rader.

You have really given me a lot to think about. sounds like you took your time, did the research and decided on what you wanted and waited for the right boat at the right price....I am all about that too. sounds like you got a really nice boat at a great price + a cool road trip to haul cross country. I envy you; )

So based on everyone's comments i am thinking a model with an 8 1/2 beam for sure, still deciding of 1 or 2 engines 2 or 4 stroke....will just depend on the right boat.

Thanks again for the welcome... warning.... and the great info....if you see something out there give me a shout!

Fair Seas' and Tight Lines,
Sam

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Twin 225 2 strokes on the Voyager? If that's true I think you can knock that one out, that's 100 HP above the rated max and undoubtedly more weight than the boat was designed for. Seems like a potential recipe for disaster you might as well avoid.
Good to know...thx HUMM? i will have to look that up in the Grady archive brochure for that year and model....not doubting you but this is an older boat an to tell ya the truth....it is the best boat and price that is real that i have seen in the last couple of months that i have been shopping. Its up in Ventura in a slip...no trailer.
Will let you know what i find out???

thx again