Using an IPAD for Navigation.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
So I came across this idea which gives me navigation and saves me a lot of $$ verse a second graph. I hope this can help others.
I don't know if iPads are built to take the pounding of a boat hull in a chop. I suppose it's better than nothing as a back up.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
I don't know if iPads are built to take the pounding of a boat hull in a chop. I suppose it's better than nothing as a back up.
Thank you for the comment. I guess time will tell, but I do follow several yachting channel that sail the vast oceans and rely on IPADs or phone for navigation.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think it's a nice solution to having a backup to a real marine chartplotter. I've always been hesitant to have one as my primary, though, because of.. (1) in full sunlight an ipad will be hard to view and (2) it can overheat and turn off if it's gets too hot on a warm, sunny day. You've got the hardtop that will certainly help, though, depending on the angle of the sun. Can't wrong with a backup!!!

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
I think it's a nice solution to having a backup to a real marine chartplotter. I've always been hesitant to have one as my primary, though, because of.. (1) in full sunlight an ipad will be hard to view and (2) it can overheat and turn off if it's gets too hot on a warm, sunny day. You've got the hardtop that will certainly help, though, depending on the angle of the sun. Can't wrong with a backup!!!
Yes, I still have the new simrad that has navigation. So I will use the IPAD for nav and the simrad for fish finding. If I have an issue with the IPAD I can use the simrad or even my phone that has the same capability as the IPAD.

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
I am not sure but I think the Ipad only works with a cell signal. As long as you don’t go to far off shore you should be fine. I lose service after about 15 miles out.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
I am not sure but I think the Ipad only works with a cell signal. As long as you don’t go to far off shore you should be fine. I lose service after about 15 miles out.
Actually the IPAD that are cell capable have a GPS antenna, That is all you need so cell service doesn't matter. Just like your chart plotter using GPS.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Actually the IPAD that are cell capable have a GPS antenna, That is all you need so cell service doesn't matter. Just like your chart plotter using GPS.
do the charts reside in the iPad or on the web? :rolleyes:

Some mfds (garmin) can use wifi to your ipad/iphone and display your garmin charts and waypoints.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thank you for the comment. I guess time will tell, but I do follow several yachting channel that sail the vast oceans and rely on IPADs or phone for navigation.
IPads are fine for planning trips. I seriously doubt they are dependent on them for navigation.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
Courious problem with the Navionics app. The markers (their waypoints) don't show with names. The names are retained in the marker and can be opened up to see them. I have not found a setting to change.
You can put the cursor on them and the name shows, you can select it, and change or delete them.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You can put the cursor on them and the name shows, you can select it, and change or delete them.
I got that. I have a large waypoint database that names spots. Its difficult to find a spot with Navionics.

Garmin's Active Captain and the units allow you to show/hide names. When I'm researching bottom structure it is very convenient.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
I got that. I have a large waypoint database that names spots. Its difficult to find a spot with Navionics.

Garmin's Active Captain and the units allow you to show/hide names. When I'm researching bottom structure it is very convenient.
Aw ok I see. It's not Navionics to be clear, it is the Navionics app. I used Navionics on my all my past Lowrance graphs and the name of the waypoint does stay viewable on the screen. I think they may do this on the app because some people are using it on a phone and with a small screen and many waypoint it might make it challenging to see the map details.
In my case my Simrad does have it's own mapping, this is just a way I can have the Simrad working as the fish finder and still have the map up on the IPAD. I know I could split screen the Simrad, but then you have small screens.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Aw ok I see. It's not Navionics to be clear, it is the Navionics app. I used Navionics on my all my past Lowrance graphs and the name of the waypoint does stay viewable on the screen. I think they may do this on the app because some people are using it on a phone and with a small screen and many waypoint it might make it challenging to see the map details.
In my case my Simrad does have it's own mapping, this is just a way I can have the Simrad working as the fish finder and still have the map up on the IPAD. I know I could split screen the Simrad, but then you have small screens.
The issue is Navionics app. Garmin allows waypoints to display symbol, symbol and name or symbol and comment. Set for all waypoints. Ideally it should be settable individually.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
You can set symbols that are displayed. And you can set the name, it is just the name that is not displayed unless you click on it. That is the only difference. Some people wont want/like that, others wont mind. And you keep saying garmin, but all the major brands (simrad, lowrance, hummingbird, raymarine, etc.) have systems that allow waypoints with symbols and names, it's not just garmin. I say that for others that use the forums as research so they understand we are not just comparing the app to garmin and that garmin is not the only system that does this.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This is a dead end...Navionics app doesn't have a way to show marker names...

True the various manufacturers (including Garmin) handle this differently. But the Navionics app doesn't and it doesn't work for me. Deal breaker!