Vintage Lapstrake Grady Hull?

James04

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hello all,
This is a 1977 Columbian 2000c built by the Columbian Boat Manufacturing Co. of Meriden Ct. The founder was Walter Hatch. I can find very little about this company. I would love to know more.

I was told by the previous owner that the hull mold for this boat was purchased or licensed from Grady White. I am posting here in an attempt to try and verify that it is a Grady White design. I am only talking about the hull itself. Not the transom, cap or interior of the boat.
Looking at the lapstrake and chines does this look like any of the Grady boats of that era?

James

Attachments

• 20210319_175716.jpg
    20210319_175716.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • Resized_20200908_151346.jpeg
    Resized_20200908_151346.jpeg
    934.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210319_175647 (2).jpg
    20210319_175647 (2).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20210319_175733 (2).jpg
    20210319_175733 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20210319_175750 (2).jpg
    20210319_175750 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
From memory, it does look similar. But you could look through the archived brochures that are available on Grady's website to get a better idea. In the end, though, it is what it is so don't get too caught up in this aspect of things. There's no real monetary value to this one way or the other - the only value is going to be whether you can make this work for your use without spending too much money.

HTHM

Reaction score
Regardless of the result of your query, it looks like a glorious boat to restore. Good luck with it!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Similar, prob a knockoff copy.

James04

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks for your inputs! I'm not interested in its value. This has to be a labor of love.
Its going to need stringers, deck, transom, bulkhead and gelcoat.
I'm more interested in how it will ride in 2-3 seas and how it will behave when anchored up for fishing.

Attachments

• 20210319_175933.jpg
    20210319_175933.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210321_122722 (2).jpg
    20210321_122722 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210319_144323 (3).jpg
    20210319_144323 (3).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd say restore her, try her out and if you don't like the ride or performance when anchored sell it. Prob not going to find anyone here that can tell you what you are looking for.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Every boat builder in the country built lapstrake wooden skiffs, it was their bread and butter until fiberglass took over in the late 60's, early 70's. And when they made the switch to fiberglass, they still used the lapstrake design, because that's what everyone thought as small boat was supposed to look like. Grady built their last mahogany boat in about 1972, IIRC.
There are still thousands of them out there, in much better shape than your project, but if you just love that boat, you can see farther down the road than I can.
The good thing about late 60's, early 70's FB boats was, that they hadn't figured out what the optimum lay up schedule was, and the chopper gun was not yet in wide use, so those hulls were hand laid, thick and heavy, and solid glass from top to bottom, except for the stringers and transom, and cabinetry, and all those other wooden pieces.
I always thought that Winchester boats looked more like a GW than anything else.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It might be a little shallow in the rear deadrise for some of the heavier stuff. And, while the bow keel starts out pretty sharp, it starts to get flat pretty quick, too. Probably going to pound a bit in the chop. Not that it can't handle it (if you rebuild it correctly), just don't expect a nice smooth re-entry. I do like that the chine is turned down to help keep the spray down - at least towards the aft end - you'll probably still get some coming from forward.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Give it a good power wash and assess...like smoky said, it will be a labor of love, and it’s going to take a fair amount of investment. No boat is a free boat. It’s the little things that add up very quickly with something like this. Everything is fixable, and I am one that enjoys a project... but if I am reading correctly it’s in CT? In New England there is a lot of availability of good quality hulls at reasonable prices that are already running rigs. Look for winter sales following this summer. Aside from Florida, New England is probably one of the best used boat markets in the country for buyers. Look for something that someone else has already put the time, money and effort into. Ideal would be a good quality hull but used as a lake boat in New Hampshire from a retiree that’s kept up with all the maintenance.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thought this might be of interest. Far less than what you'll put into that Columbian.

James04

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thought this might be of interest. Far less than what you'll put into that Columbian.

That is a nice find! Especially with the tandem trailer. With that said boats of that vintage unless stored covered. Will need a transom core and at least a deck if not stringer work.

James04

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
It might be a little shallow in the rear deadrise for some of the heavier stuff. And, while the bow keel starts out pretty sharp, it starts to get flat pretty quick, too. Probably going to pound a bit in the chop. Not that it can't handle it (if you rebuild it correctly), just don't expect a nice smooth re-entry. I do like that the chine is turned down to help keep the spray down - at least towards the aft end - you'll probably still get some coming from forward.

Thank you for that perspective. It is exactly what I was looking for. So not the best for the chop. But perhaps a little more stable when anchored? A good compromise?

James04

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
And your Columbian has one more plank in the side than Grady's design, so I doubt it was built from a Grady mold.
Nice catch! The guy I purchased it from sure had a good tale to tell. But according to him. That tale came from the original owner.

Buckee

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
FWIW, years ago I did a similar resto on a ‘71 Wellcraft Airslot 24 (Cathedral hull). She was almost as rough. Once the debris was cleaned out and I started pulling thru-hulls etc, found that the glass was an inch and a half thick or more - hope you find the same! Fortunately the wiring and plumbing were simple back then, and easy to completely replace everything. In house terms, she had “good bones” and ultimately became a great family boat, saw Chesapeake Bay from Baltimore to Norfolk in ol’ “Fussbucket”. Good luck and keep it simple skipper.

WHA

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
Hello all,
This is a 1977 Columbian 2000c built by the Columbian Boat Manufacturing Co. of Meriden Ct. The founder was Walter Hatch. I can find very little about this company. I would love to know more.

I was told by the previous owner that the hull mold for this boat was purchased or licensed from Grady White. I am posting here in an attempt to try and verify that it is a Grady White design. I am only talking about the hull itself. Not the transom, cap or interior of the boat.
Looking at the lapstrake and chines does this look like any of the Grady boats of that era?

James
Just happen to see your post… I am very familiar with these Columbian boats, since my father was very good friends with Walter Hatch, and then his son, Wes Hatch, after Walter passed away….and he did some engineering work for them When the boats were being manufactured on Pratt Street, in Meriden, CT. We had many of these Columbians over the years. There was no relationship to Grady White, the original designs came from a place in Chrystal lake, Florida..and we’re tweaked by Walter Hatch. To my knowledge, there are still several Columbians sitting over there at the old Suburban Marine boat yard, including our own 1972 16.5‘ blue deck, white hull…. These boats were outstanding runabouts…for their time… and exclusively used Evinrude/OMC stern drives…many used the Buick 4 cyl. Or 231 V6… although the 20 and 21’s had either Chevy or Pontiac V8’s… Walter Hatch’s son, Wes, was a very young kid during these times… and most of the original people who designed them, worked on them, built them…are long, long gone. As far as Grady White design, there was no relationship…except that they were selling Grady Whites and Four win at one time.

WHA

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
Nice info, but the OP's boat is definitely not a stern drive.
Oh, that is very possible…since I, personally, didnt know much about the larger 20 & 21‘s…. There is an old timer Columbian 21 sitting up here in Farmington, Maine…( in terrible condition) that everyone thinks is an old Grady White…and it has an old white OMC stern drive hanging down that is very visible… After many years of playing with these Columbian’s, when they quit making them…my father finally upgraded to a Grady White Marlin… which he had for many many years….how he loved that boat!!… he was a former US Navy guy…and became Captain blye on his ship!!

Reactions: PointedRose