Wanted: Seafarer 228 in SoCal

Chesse

Reaction score
Looking for a 228 in good condition, low hours, years between 2005-2015.
I’m In San Diego, will travel.
Thanks.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've been looking for one since around October or so and I live in the Seattle area. Be prepared to either spend double what they're worth on the west coast or travel quite a bit of distance to find one for a decent deal, or have the boat you purchase shipped. It seems like boats, cars, houses and just about everything else are more than double the price out here. Makes boat buying, and just about everything else somewhat difficult. If you do buy out of state, I'd highly suggest paying the $300-500 or so to have a marine surveyor/inspector to come out and look at the boat. I put an offer down on a boat in Florida and come to find out, the boat had way more hours than what it said on the gauge, the compression was low in one cylinder and it had like 19 overheating alarms. Between that and the seller not wanting to cooperate with the dealership they were trying to sell it through, I passed on the boat and fortunately wasn't out any money at all. Take your time, do your homework and don't buy something on an impulse just because you think it looks like a good deal or that someone else might try to buy it before you do. I had two Arima's previously and bought each of them back in Maryland, and drove out there and back each time to buy them. It's about a 6,000 mile journey roundtrip and took me roughly 7 days each time to do it. My suggestion would be that if you're going to drive back and forth... I'd fly out, rent a truck and drive it back. That will save you half the time to do so, but if you do have the time and desire... it's quite fun and beautiful seeing the country. The easiest way to do it would be to have it shipped out here by a transportation company, but that can cost $4k up to over $8k, or at least that's what I was quoted at almost 4 years ago now. Good luck with your search!

Chesse

Reaction score
Thanks Mustang for the wise advise.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Mustang has good tips. I’d say honestly that you need to expand your search at this time to other brands and models. If you’re looking for a specific model its going to be a needle in a haystack situation. Stay in tune with your local market postings on Craigslist Facebook marketplace and others like this site. Hang around and make yourself friendly at the local marinas. When you see something that will hold its value and will get the job done for you, be ready to pounce on it with an offer. Within a few years time the boat market will balance out a bit and there will be availability for used again. Lots of people here have bought boats across the country - that’s trickier for obvious logistical reasons, but also different markets allow for it to be cost effective sometimes.

dfolsom123

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
We had to go to Georgia (from So Cal) to get our Seafarer. Used UShip- and it worked out great.PM me if you want more details. Used a guy named Denver Burns on UShip, he was not the lowest bid but did a great job.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just saw one in the Pittsburgh area on Craigslist that the guy said he sold within 24 hours and the ad has since been deleted. It was a 2004 228 Seafarer hardtop with a 2004 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke that I think had around 400-500 hours on it, no kicker motor, 2004 galvanized dual axle roller trailer, basic electronics, manual downriggers and so on. Looked like a nice boat, no bottom paint, seemed to have all the cushions and canvas curtains as well but he was asking $35k for it. Which in my opinion was too much given the undersized motor, older non aluminum trailer, no kicker motor, older basic electronics and manual cannon downriggers. Had it been a 225-250hp 4 stroke outboard with the same hours on it, a kicker motor, newer or new electronics with Scotty electric downriggers I'd have been much more interested in it for that price. Or even if it just had two of the four above mentioned items I'd have been more interested. Oh well, the search continues on.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's one for anyone that's interested in Florida. I don't have any affiliation with said boat...

Pighunter

Reaction score
Bought my 1999 228 in North Carolina last June, after looking for almost a year. Had it surveyed, bought it and had a shipper from uship bring it to Ca. It's the best way to buy a 228 on the west coast in my opinion.

Last edited:

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ve thought for several years there has got to be a way to make money buying boats on the east coast and shipping out to CA to sell. obv the shipping cost is a big hurdle but there is not a lot of supply of quality hulls in the west coast. Probably also fewer enthusiasts in terms of number of people actually interested in owning a boat but the buyers have cash apparently. Anytime a nice hull pops up, it’s gone within a couple days.

Last edited:

Greysailor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I recently found and purchased a 99 228 Seafarer, found it in Alameda. I was looking at all the east coast boats, and the GW's do have a higher cost premium than similar boats, and quality boats on the West Coast have a premium on top of that.
But I'm the kick the tires kind of guy, and doing something long distance, is pretty tough. But I was willing to travel to Florida, but the boats in the NE was still covered in snow.
I did look at a 98 or 99 228 that was in San Diego. 2nd boat owner and was comparable to the one I purchased.
Really good trailer. Dry stored. Good electronics. Extra bait tank.
Similar pricing, but no kicker or bow pulpit.
It did have a low hour 2004 Yamaha 225, four-stroke, with the lower exhaust already reworked. That is something to get educated on.
Many of the boats being sold have that era of Yamahas, ( 2002 to 2008) so buyer beware.
Many of the resellers will claim that they don't know about it. They do..

I do not know if he sold it yet, it was listed on Facebook.
If interested, PM me and I will forward the sellers contact info.

Chesse

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply’s. I can’t believe what these boats are selling for and how quickly they’re gone, guess quality boats are in high demand.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think anything that's of decent quality, for a decent price and is used will probably sell rather quickly as there isn't a ton of them available. That's why I was really excited about the one I put an offer down on, which was also in Florida, but the overall condition and engine didn't completely check out. Hopefully in the next couple weeks to a couple months there will be a few more boats available that are in decent shape.

Eyecatcher

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just saw one in the Pittsburgh area on Craigslist that the guy said he sold within 24 hours and the ad has since been deleted. It was a 2004 228 Seafarer hardtop with a 2004 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke that I think had around 400-500 hours on it, no kicker motor, 2004 galvanized dual axle roller trailer, basic electronics, manual downriggers and so on. Looked like a nice boat, no bottom paint, seemed to have all the cushions and canvas curtains as well but he was asking $35k for it. Which in my opinion was too much given the undersized motor, older non aluminum trailer, no kicker motor, older basic electronics and manual cannon downriggers. Had it been a 225-250hp 4 stroke outboard with the same hours on it, a kicker motor, newer or new electronics with Scotty electric downriggers I'd have been much more interested in it for that price. Or even if it just had two of the four above mentioned items I'd have been more interested. Oh well, the search continues on.
And the new buyer is thrilled to have it ;). Found this wonderful forum after I purchased that Pittsburgh boat!

Attachments

• 56414B9B-E08E-4F32-A57E-79E39AA472FD.jpeg
    56414B9B-E08E-4F32-A57E-79E39AA472FD.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 67

Ettatouffée

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How are you guys doing on your search? There is a clean 2003 228 in lauderdale, iffy websites attached to the add though. There was a 99 w/out hardtop here in Pensacola repowered, reached back out to the owner yesterday and he said it was under contract.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How are you guys doing on your search? There is a clean 2003 228 in lauderdale, iffy websites attached to the add though. There was a 99 w/out hardtop here in Pensacola repowered, reached back out to the owner yesterday and he said it was under contract.
I saw the 2003 but the pictures look very suspiciously like other boats that have been involved in scams on Craigslist in the past. The price is also a bit out of the range I’d like to spend at nearly $40k, even though it “appears” to look like a very nice boat, it legit. There’s a 1998 in Florida as well that’s been repowered with a 2010 Yamaha 250 with under 1000 hours that looks decent but I’m somewhat hesitant on. Says the fuel tank and a bunch of other things have been replaced or are new but the interior looks a bit rough. Their asking price I believe is $27,500 without a trailer. Doesn’t seem like a terrible price but for the age and condition, I’m 50/50 at this point.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There’s a 1998 in Florida as well that’s been repowered with a 2010 Yamaha 250 with under 1000 hours that looks decent but I’m somewhat hesitant on. Says the fuel tank and a bunch of other things have been replaced or are new but the interior looks a bit rough. Their asking price I believe is $27,500 without a trailer. Doesn’t seem like a terrible price but for the age and condition, I’m 50/50 at this point.

Halfhitch went and looked at that boat. Reach out to him for his impressions. He's in the market for one and he passed on this boat and it's in his backdoor, if that tells you anything.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Halfhitch went and looked at that boat. Reach out to him for his impressions. He's in the market for one and he passed on this boat and it's in his backdoor, if that tells you anything.
Thanks for the info, I’ll reach out to him. The pictures made the boat look pretty decent but the broker sent me some videos yesterday and the inside area of the boat looked somewhat rough.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just spoke with Dylan on the phone about the Grady White 228 Seafarer you're referring to that they have for sale on their website as well as on Boat Trader. He was very abrasive, cut me off multiple times, said they got the boat from another dealer and that they didn’t have any maintenance records on the motor as well as all of the information they had was on their website. I asked if they were firm on the price, as the boat, while appearing quite nice, in my opinion is listed for quite a bit more than what it’s worth considering it’s almost 20 years old. The trailer and motor are also almost 20 years old, it doesn’t come with any electronics or gps, no fishing or safety gear, kicker motor or anything else. He said yes. I said maybe not to be so rude to a potential customer next time and ended the conversation there as there wasn’t anything productive or worthwhile about the conversation. I’m also not sure about the business in general. There’s a multitude of different phone numbers and ones from different area codes, one of which says something about the Google subscriber isn’t available right now and you can’t leave a message with it. The others ring once and go straight to voicemail or have an automated answering system that sounds very suspicious and not personable at all. I’ll gladly look and spend my money elsewhere as Dylan couldn’t take more than 60 seconds to talk to someone about a $30k+ purchase.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Just spoke with Dylan on the phone about the Grady White 228 Seafarer you're referring to that they have for sale on their website as well as on Boat Trader. He was very abrasive, cut me off multiple times, said they got the boat from another dealer and that they didn’t have any maintenance records on the motor as well as all of the information they had was on their website. I asked if they were firm on the price, as the boat, while appearing quite nice, in my opinion is listed for quite a bit more than what it’s worth considering it’s almost 20 years old. The trailer and motor are also almost 20 years old, it doesn’t come with any electronics or gps, no fishing or safety gear, kicker motor or anything else. He said yes. I said maybe not to be so rude to a potential customer next time and ended the conversation there as there wasn’t anything productive or worthwhile about the conversation. I’m also not sure about the business in general. There’s a multitude of different phone numbers and ones from different area codes, one of which says something about the Google subscriber isn’t available right now and you can’t leave a message with it. The others ring once and go straight to voicemail or have an automated answering system that sounds very suspicious and not personable at all. I’ll gladly look and spend my money elsewhere as Dylan couldn’t take more than 60 seconds to talk to someone about a $30k+ purchase.

Looks to be a clean boat with low hours, but I understand the frustration when you get a Ahole salesman.