Washing slip covers

Conjuror

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience washing the slip covers on Grady cabin v-berth cushions? Any tips, hints or "don't do's" would be greatly appreciated.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had new ones made and I removed the covers beforehand. Removing them was not easy, I felt as though I was goint to tear the cover. I allowed the upholsterer to reinstall them, not a job I was looking forward to. You need to have that plastic sheeting to allow the padding to slide back in. I would probably hand wash and do not put them in the dryer or you will probably never get the padding back in. Hope you've got lots of patience and look for a tip or to before reinstalling the padding.

gw204

Reaction score
I pulled the covers off of my v-berth cushions just a few weeks ago. My intention is the have the covers dry cleaned to prevent any shrinkage.

As for the plastic, I think the purpose of that is to allow vacuum to be applied to the padding before being inserted into the covers. Applying the vacuum w/ the plastic covering will shrink the cushions and allow them to go in easier.

When I get my covers back, I'll try putting the cushions inside a large trash bag and sucking the air out with my shop vac. If that doesn't work, I'll have an upholstery place put them back together.

That being said, how would you guys recommend I clean the cushions themselves? While they don't smell bad, I would like to freshen them up a bit.