Problem Solved (I'm embarrassingly dumb!) Water Flows to Transom Shower, But Nowhere Else

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Only 'problem' was that I failed to notice these handy push-buttons on the end of the faucets! Press those and water magically flows. The new Shur-Flo Smart Flow 4.0 gpm pump provides very strong flow and quick on/off. Obviously haven't gotten around to cleaning interior yet.

fARiFnT.jpg

OPmtfEH.jpg

I failed to make this discovery before I set out to find the problem somewhere in the water lines. I found that the line to the head splits off first, then runs back over waste tank towards head. Then transom shower line splits off at port side. These lines all looked clean. Hence the revelation of the faucets.

Overlooked the obvious. I never noticed those little knobs until I convinced myself the problem wasn't where I had convinced myself it was. Geez. But I did get a good look at the boat's plumbing...

Line first splits off and runs back over waste tank area towards head:

zsXpHwR.jpg

Closer to port side, line splits again with one branch running back towards transom shower and the other continuing on to cabin sink:

ti5AcIr.jpg

Original Message:

Replaced the freshwater pump on a 2007 282. Water flows through transom shower in a strong stream. But not a drop, or even a gurgle from cabin sink or shower. I'm wondering if anyone knows and likely spots of kinks or clogs that would explain both.

I ask this here because I can't easily see one bit of either of those lines from the point they separate from the transom shower line on! Maybe if I removed the fridge I could see some of the sink line...

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Last edited:

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had this once and after an hour of searching for the issue I found that someone had shut off the cabin and head sink at the nozzle. I'm sure you checked but just in case !

Fishtales

Reaction score
Water seems to collect in different areas more than others on some models. The Marlin gets it forward bilge never aft bilge unless a lot of it. Usual suspects are anchor and rode and residual going down cabin and head drains when cleaning. I just run the pump down.

Lsquared

Reaction score
Replaced the freshwater pump on a 2007 282. Water flows through transom shower in a strong stream. But not a drop, or even a gurgle from cabin sink or shower. I'm wondering if anyone knows and likely spots of kinks or clogs that would explain both.

I ask this here because I can't easily see one bit of either of those lines from the point they separate from the transom shower line on! Maybe if I removed the fridge I could see some of the sink line...

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Did you ever get this resolved?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not resolved yet. I looked again and came up with no shut-offs that I could find. So I emailed Grady. They said they would get back to me.

I did find another (what appears to be) shut-off that surprised me. In the overboard drain for the live-well. I don't believe my previous Grady's had a valve for the live-well drain.

TaTX7lg.jpg

Lsquared

Reaction score
You should find one on the opposing side behind the helm chair for the ice box thru the access panel

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I will look on the starboard side.

My previous Grady's (208 and 258) came with a threaded stopper for the live-well that made it useful for dry storage, when desired. If there was a valve, I never knew it. Stopper was easier to reach!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
LSquared is exactly right, of course. Another shut off valve, this one for the starboard ice box, accessible through the pie plate. Well, I do learn something new everyday!

Still no answer back from Grady on hints as to where to look when both cabin and head sinks are not getting water. I'll give them a couple more days, (they said they were busy catching up) and then prompt them again.

Rob

Lsquared

Reaction score
I dont see a shut off valve anywhere thru the system.

1566854656197.png

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks. Very nice of you to cut and paste that page of the manual. Caused me to go download my own copy from the website.

Thanks, Rob

Lsquared

Reaction score
Rob - is it just cold water that dont flow or just hot or both? does the new pump kick on? thinking it could be back pressure sending it to the transom and no pumping to allow it to go further.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Rob - is it just cold water that dont flow or just hot or both? does the new pump kick on? thinking it could be back pressure sending it to the transom and no pumping to allow it to go further.
Good thought. If there's a hot water heater, that has to be filled before it comes out of the faucets. But if the transom shower's line is situated upstream the hot water heater, it could be getting some water through it, although probably not as much as it should.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Whoa, you guys know much more about the intricacies of the 282 that I do! I haven't turned the hot water heater on and hadn't intended to any time soon. Perhaps it fills without hot water being turned on?

But when I open the cabin faucets, the pump isn't running, so it isn't getting that message of low pressure. Guess I'll have to start disconnecting lines that I can find and get my hands on and see if I can get any flow at that open line. Hopefully I will and that will start giving me clues as to where the clog or pinch point is.

Also, per the diagram, the split in the lines between transom shower and cabin sinks/ hot water heater occurs before a bulkhead. It doesn't. Don't I wish it did exist in the location shown.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
"Turning on" the hot water heater only turns the electric element on to heat it up. It has nothing to do with water supply. On a side note, NEVER turn the heater on without it being full or you'll burn up the element.

So, yes, the first place the water goes when turning on the pump is to fill up the water heater. Looking at that diagram, I can see why water is coming out of the transom shower - the heater is way up in the bow - so that makes sense.

Before you dig into things too far, let your heater fill up - either use the expansion valve/overboard discharge (if your boat uses that) or open a hot faucet till water comes out. Also, double check that the heater hasn't been bypassed for winterization. Be sure to keep enough water in the fresh tank, obviously.

Lsquared

Reaction score
/|\ what he said, also could be a bad switch, should be the switch on the helm just left of the compass, make sure that is on. or the pump is not wired correctly if you dont hear it kick on.
|