weathered bolster cushions

IanC

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Gulfstream. The bolsters are faded in spots and have some superficial cracking. I have been reviewing vinyl restoring products, which essentially appear to be a vinyl spray coating. Any experience with these products and their durability? Thanks, Ian

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You cant turn back time. I had my re-upholstered at a local shop and it was pretty cheap. I think 3-400 bucks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, the paint can work quite well to cover up discolorations. But if the vinyl is hard and cracked, it's a lost cause. They'll look white, but it won't last long till they start looking bad again. Vinyl can certainly last longer, but it needs to be cleaned and protected on a regular basis, along with being out of the sun (covered) when not being used. Which is not always the easiest thing to do on boats like these!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Harpoon said:
You cant turn back time. I had my re-upholstered at a local shop and it was pretty cheap. I think 3-400 bucks.

I would have them redone then start with a cleaning and maintenance protocol to keep them looking good.

seasick

Reaction score
I have a friend who would spray his vinyl cushions with Rustoleum plastic spray (I think that is what its called)
Now his boat in general was a mess but I have to say, the painted cushions looked pretty good much to my surprise.
I guess the point is that eventually the bolsters will need replacing but at the same time you mat be able to get a season or two out of them using one of the vinyl products.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
$300 did all of mine in our Sailfish, including the rear curved one at a local shop. There was a shop in Florida that "specialized" in Grady upholstery, but they were around $2k :jaw and I had to send them my old stuff.

Anyone in the Eastern MA area, more specifically Metrowest Kelly's Upholstery in Natick, MA has done great work for me on several boats and is very reasonable in cushions and curtains. I found him through word of mouth, if you ask around I am sure there is a good shop priced right local to you.

Fishtales

Reaction score
They come off rather easily. Look for a screw near the weep holes and remove (usually on each end). Then push them up. There is a vertical metal piece that loops through them. They should come right off, if not look for more screws.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
$300 did all of mine in our Sailfish, including the rear curved one at a local shop. There was a shop in Florida that "specialized" in Grady upholstery, but they were around $2k :jaw and I had to send them my old stuff.

Anyone in the Eastern MA area, more specifically Metrowest Kelly's Upholstery in Natick, MA has done great work for me on several boats and is very reasonable in cushions and curtains. I found him through word of mouth, if you ask around I am sure there is a good shop priced right local to you.

I was wondering if you had Kelly's upholstery try to match the off white ribbed bolsters or did you do something different. I was thinking of bringing my cushions to them. Thanks in advance!