What Alarm Sound Could This Be?

jdsmith

Reaction score
Last Friday while on a fishing trip a continuous, ear-piercing alarm came on shortly after being under way. The alarm is located very close to the ignition switch under my console. The alarm stayed on constantly when the motor was running. Everything was working properly; motor was not overheating, strong stream of water coming out of p-hole; battery was at 12.9 volts, no water in bildge, but oil was very low in my oil injection tank. After filling the oil tank the alarm still rang, but everything was working. On the way back to the dock, the alarm qiut, then randomly came on and off again, seemingly with the swells of the bay. Rolling the dice, I disconnected the wire to the alarm to drown the sound and had a very good day of fishing with no mechanical problems with the boat. When I returned home, I reconnected the alarm wire before flushing the motor and the alarm did not come back on. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas what to look for? The motor is a 2002, 150 hp Johnson outboard with carbs.

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Most likely the low oil alarm in the tank on the motor. There is a procedure for pumping the oil from the lower tank to the upper tank.

seasick

Reaction score
The alarm is there for a reason. If the small oil tank on the motor was low, you either have an empty main oil tank or an oil delivery issue. If you run the small tank dry, you can fry the motor. At very low oil level, the motor should throttle down to slow speed. If the main tank wan not empty and the small tank was, you should use the manual oil pump overide to refil the small tank and then head for home.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Agree with seasick. There's no way I would have gone anywhere but back to the docks.

I would check for a blockage, float switch, or other problem if the main tank is full of oil before running again.

BabyG

Reaction score
have all the injectors checked I had that alarm one fall then in the spring the head blew dew to a bad injector.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There is a switch on the upper oil tank to let you fill it - otherwisw it is a gradual process and once your tank filled the oil alarm silenced

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You may have a fuel line restriction, the alarm trigger is high vacuum, this is very serious, fuel starvation will drop the power head like a bag of potatoes, no warning what so ever.

Check the squeeze bulb visually exactly when the alarm sounds, what does it look like, normal? or collapsed?

How do you know motor is not overheating? How did you check that?

Is the motor burning oil? How do you know?

If the alarm only sounds when you first start motor, the check valve in the oil tank is bleeding down.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jdsmith said:
Last Friday while on a fishing trip a continuous, ear-piercing alarm came on shortly after being under way. The alarm is located very close to the ignition switch under my console. The alarm stayed on constantly when the motor was running. Everything was working properly; motor was not overheating, strong stream of water coming out of p-hole; battery was at 12.9 volts, no water in bildge, but oil was very low in my oil injection tank. After filling the oil tank the alarm still rang, but everything was working. On the way back to the dock, the alarm qiut, then randomly came on and off again, seemingly with the swells of the bay. Rolling the dice, I disconnected the wire to the alarm to drown the sound and had a very good day of fishing with no mechanical problems with the boat. When I returned home, I reconnected the alarm wire before flushing the motor and the alarm did not come back on. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas what to look for? The motor is a 2002, 150 hp Johnson outboard with carbs.

Does this model have system check light? What light came on?

I have a 1998, carb, was passing a boats wake and adjusting trim, check engine light and loud horn came on right after I hit the wake and slammed down, I think it was due to me adjusting my tilt and a voltage drop happened, it went away in a about a min after I sat at idle.
According to omc/bombard That ch eng alarm would only sound if fuel is restricted or a voltage /amp drop.

Not sure but your voltage 12.9? should be around 14-15 volts charging (Running) according to the manual
Check oil tank sensor or float might be jammed.
I would do a compression chack anyway just to be sure no damage and all is well, only takes about 5 min and if you dont have a comp checker it should on cost about 20$ for a mech to do it.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
it was the low oil

you need to turn the motor off for like 5 mins and start it back up

also, peeing water out does not mean it is cooling right

Hank Schlenker

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have a 1988 Seafarer 22 with a Merc 200. Yesterday we were coming in and a strong beeping began in the cockpit/cabin area - the temperature was fine, motor ran well and we docked. I then realized main oil reserve was down very low, so refilled it with two stroke oil. This morning the engine started and idled no problem - but the beeping continues. How do I reset it/stop the beeping?

seasick

Reaction score
Did the tank on the motor fill up? If not the alarm will sound. That tank may have run very low but if it did the motor should have switched to guardian mode ( low revs) There may be an issue with that tank sensor. It is a common issue. What is the year and model of the motor? What gauges do you have?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Some of the oil tanks have small filters that can clog with debris. Try checking that to ensure there was no blockage / restriction from the main tank. The last 2 stroke engine I had they replace the smaill round filter with a sock filter and that solve the clogging issue. Good Luck

seasick

Reaction score
Have a 1988 Seafarer 22 with a Merc 200. Yesterday we were coming in and a strong beeping began in the cockpit/cabin area - the temperature was fine, motor ran well and we docked. I then realized main oil reserve was down very low, so refilled it with two stroke oil. This morning the engine started and idled no problem - but the beeping continues. How do I reset it/stop the beeping?
Be careful, the motor will start with low or even no oil! The alarm should not be ignored.