What Did You Use ...

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
... to clean up the fuel tank compartment(s) when replacing your tank(s)? And what did you use to replace the neoprene (besides starboard)?

New tank is on order and the leaky one comes out tomorrow. :?

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
When I did my tank 4 yrs ago, it was 2" black rubber that lined the contacts point of the tank. Got the same material and used it where the old stuff once was. Did this after speaking w/ Grady.

I also made new shims and filed all of the screw holes that were there in the outter plywood.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
it was 2" black rubber that lined the contacts point of the tank.

Thanks ... source?

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Check what you take out from your tank. If I remember correctly it was 2" wide by 1/16" thick black rubber. I know a Grady dealer local to me had it but I got a role of it from a local rubber supply house and it matched exactly.

gw204

Reaction score
Don't use those rubber strips!!! They are the primary cause of tank failure.

You'de be better off foaming the tank in and taking steps to ensure the hatch is 100% sealed.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can use HDPE, it's not UV stabilized like starboard (I don't think the sun will shine under there) and it's much cheaper. The black rubber stuff reacts and creates acid which eats at the tank.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
gw204 said:

You'de be better off foaming the tank in and taking steps to ensure the hatch is 100% sealed.

be careful when foaming a tank in place- its a good way to go but if you fill the compartment with foam its just going to keep the moisture pinned up against the take and accelerate the corrosion of the aluminum.

if you're gonna foam the tank in just spot foam it- a few well placed sprays of expanding foam to keep the tank in place and off the bottom of the compartment is all you need :)

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
gw204 said:

Sorry... but the rubber Grady uses to set their tanks in is not the primary cause of tank failure. Allowing water to get in compartment in the first place is the primary cause. 8)

Whatever medium is used to 'set' the tank in there is your choice but Grady apparently still recommends what they have historically used.

dheywood

Reaction score
Rubber shouldn,t be used

The problem isn't so much that you are using rubber it is the direction the rubber strips are laid in. The rubber strips should run bow to stern. When I replaced my tank last winter I used 2 pieces of 3/4 inch puck board running bow to stern making sure I left plenty of room for water to flow under my tank. The nice thing about the puck board is it won't rot or brake down if fuel or oil gets mixed into your bilge water. I was lucky the previous owner had built the cabin doors out of puck board and I was replacing them any ways.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
If Grady still uses the neoprene, then they aren't as quality oriented as they'd like us to think. Water will enter the compartment in time, why insulate with something that will then create a problem? I'll use something else, thanks. :?

Anyone use anything that's readily available at the box stores?

Anyone scrub down the compartment, and what'd you use?

I give, what's "puck board"?

gerrys

Reaction score
If you can find a local conveyor company, old belting makes an excellent lining. The belting (particularly outdoor material) is water and oil resistant and can be cut to suit you.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't know of the other models, but the outboard model Saifish coffin has a bilge, same as the bilge in the stern, both interconnected, so there is water always in there. If the bilge water rises (at the stern to the level of just above the oil tank platforms), the gas tank bottom is awash in water.

Sealing the deck plates and replacing the O rings periodically, is to keep water off the tank top where it stays and lays, particularly around the contact points against wood wedges, braces, neoprene.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Totally confused now...What exactly do you want to do???

It's pretty simple .. I'm replacing the gas tank, and in doing so I intend to replace the neoprene insulators used by Grady with something else. And I intend to clean up leaky fuel residue and assorted gunk in both compartments. The questions asked way up top are: What did you use to clean up the fuel tank compartment(s) when replacing your tank(s)? And what did you use to replace the neoprene (besides starboard)?

Securing the tank and sealing the hatch is not at issue. For the sake of conversation, though, I intend to have the new tank powder coated. Discuss ...
:?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
How about Fantastic and Scotchbrite?

I just want to clean out some of the grunge, not eat down there ... :D