What in the world sticks to this?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
16537827134365044682315814063895.jpg
The weather strip fell off my battery switch door. I have tried EVERYTHING and I mean everything to get something to stick to this surface and nothing will. I've tried:
- 3m automotive tape
- Gorilla tape for polyethylene
- The stickiest carpet tape known to man
- Duct tape
- Seadek
Nothing sticks. I thought that maybe there was a silicon residue from the PO, so I tried the door. Nothing will stick to it either.
I'm all ears.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Try the 3M adhesive weatherstrip from McMaster.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Considering 3m automotive double sided tape wouldn't work, I'm reluctant to think weather strip will.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Tape around the area that doesn't have the weatherstrip. Sand with something in the 80-180 range. Apply the 4200 and weatherstrip.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You are over thinking this. Whatever they put on that panel they should make frying pans out of!

4200 will make a mess of it next time around. I have used Bob Smith Industries InstaFlex cyanoacrylate for repairs. It's messy but can be removed with acetone.

I would try the 3M adhesive backed from McMaster. 3X more expensive than regular weatherstrip but it's good stuff. Make sure there is no old adhesive. Clean with 3M adhesive remover then acetone. Squeaky clean. Use the 3M adhesive weather strip. Limited choices in white but plenty in black.

3M: Seals with a 3M acrylic adhesive backing are more resistant to peeling and shearing than seals with an acrylic adhesive backing.Use them when you need extra sticking strength to resist repeated impact, such as on a door or door frame. They create a permanent moisture barrier and airtight seal between the seal and the surface it’s stuck to, but only if you let the bond cure for 72 hours.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I suspect there is still some old sticker residue. If this is painted aluminum aluminum you can use acetone. If it's plastic, do not. Either way, you can Goo Gone or Goof Off or even mineral spirits (let it soak for a minute or two) to soften the residue and either wipe it off or use a plastic razor blade.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I had to tape off my entire box with frog tape and then used 3M adhesive spray on the exposed line. The spray is used for the monkey fur interior. You don't want that spray to hit anything else. The new seal works perfectly to keep my panel dry.21410.jpeg

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The door and door casing are machined out of some type of polyethylene. It's possible there is a residue I can't see, but if there is, it's on the door too. What's odd is that there are 2 other door assemblies on the boat that are the same. I've had no issue getting things to stick there.
I'll try some Goo-gone and scraper and see if anything else comes off.