what size fishfinder/plotter screen do folks like?

suzukidave

Reaction score
interested in what size display screen people have found works for them. in particular, is a 7" screen enough to do both plotter and finder jobs? would a couple of 5" screens dedicated to one or the other job make more sense?

i've been shopping for months for a combo plotter/finder for my 223. my budget goes to about $700 so i am looking at something live a garmin 70dv or a pair of lowrance elite 5s. the problem is when i demo it in the store, the garmin screen still looks tiny and i really have no experience on what works practically on the water. otoh, it seems like anything bigger won't fit on the helm.

i used a black and white finder on the 19 that is really just a depthfinder i live a long way from a marine store where i can demo screens.

and, bragging a little, i have 20/20 vision

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In the 7" range, anything with a split screen is going to be small.

A couple of options though....2 5" screens (HDS-5) would set you back a bit over $700, but would be more useful.

Other choice is to toggle back and forth between maps and FF. The HDS-7 can be bought for less than $700 including transducer...Garmin 741 will be in the $800 range after you add the ducer.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a Humminbird 998, which is about the largest unit that can fit in the little enclosed electronics box. IMO, a 9" diagonal screen is about the smallest that you would want if you intend to split the screen.

My buddy has a 7" Lowrance unit on his bay boat. He tends not to split the screen very often. But if you put the FF display in a smaller window, it is OK.

seasick

Reaction score
suzukidave said:
interested in what size display screen people have found works for them. in particular, is a 7" screen enough to do both plotter and finder jobs? would a couple of 5" screens dedicated to one or the other job make more sense?

i've been shopping for months for a combo plotter/finder for my 223. my budget goes to about $700 so i am looking at something live a garmin 70dv or a pair of lowrance elite 5s. the problem is when i demo it in the store, the garmin screen still looks tiny and i really have no experience on what works practically on the water. otoh, it seems like anything bigger won't fit on the helm.

i used a black and white finder on the 19 that is really just a depthfinder i live a long way from a marine store where i can demo screens.

and, bragging a little, i have 20/20 vision

In my experience, anything under 10 inches is too small if you want to display plotter and sonar info while underway. The key here is displaying both simultaneously. For example, if you don't need sonar info while travelling to a location to fish for example, a 5 or 7 inch will do fine especially all you are concerned about on the sonar is water depth. Since you have an older dept sounder, that may be enough. Once you get to your destination, you would switch the screen to sonar perhaps.
Note that viewing while stopped or slowly trolling is easier than when at speed since you can get a bit closer to the screen and can focus easier.
Then again if you want to fish and be able to see the sonar from the aft end of your boat, you will need a bigger screen.
Again, in my opinion, and what I have in my smaller electronics box are two 5 inch screens, although both are combo units, I use one for plotting only and the other for sonar only. That seems to be the best solution for my needs and limited space.
I use a older Garmin 492 for plotting and a Lowrance HDS5 for sonar ( and backup plotter if needed). Personally, I think the menus and user interface on the Garmin is a lot more logical than the HDS but the newer model Garmins may not be as intuitive.

suzukidave

Reaction score
thanks

as i think more about this, my biggest issue is being able to effectively see and use the plotter when underway at which time all i need is depth displated. i can toggle easily enough to finder mode when the fishing begins.

secondary issue is the desire of the spouse to see the plotter which means a unit in front of the companion chair. i have looked at the ipad wifi options for that but i am skeptical of real world usage in an open boat.

the truth is probably that i need a pair of 7" screens, but maybe i should get a 70dv for now with the wifi that allows me to use the ipad garmin app on our old no-gps ipad..

seasick

Reaction score
suzukidave said:
thanks

as i think more about this, my biggest issue is being able to effectively see and use the plotter when underway at which time all i need is depth displated. i can toggle easily enough to finder mode when the fishing begins.

secondary issue is the desire of the spouse to see the plotter which means a unit in front of the companion chair. i have looked at the ipad wifi options for that but i am skeptical of real world usage in an open boat.

the truth is probably that i need a pair of 7" screens, but maybe i should get a 70dv for now with the wifi that allows me to use the ipad garmin app on our old no-gps ipad..
The screen will be difficult to read from the companion seat. If your wife wears polarized lsunglasses, the screen will be just about impossible to see.
I am not familiar with the wifi option but it sounds interesting.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I used an 8" screen for many years in split screen mode exclusively for years and here's my view.

It will do the job,
It is plenty big enough while seated at the helm.
You won't be able to see it (the sonar half) well while fishing aft.
The screen will actually be smaller depending on how you set up the information bar.
You won't be 20/20 forever!!!
:lol:

suzukidave

Reaction score
the 70dv has a wifi function that transmits gps coordinates only. if you get the garmin ipad bluechart app (and buy the garmin app charts) this allows you to use the garmin app on a basic ipad that has no built in gps. if it works as well as claimed then that's a decent deal.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a Garmin 741xs and have only played with the demo in split screen but it is small.
I use a dedicated GPS 8 inch screen. If I split it I feel it is too small for navigating, always zooming in and out.
I have a Furuno 620 FCV color sonar (6 inch screen) unit I just removed and am selling for $300, no transducer. It is very clean. Includes power wire, manual and gimble mount. I am going to post here when I remove the bracket from the boat. Easy fit in the dash with a 7 inch GPS.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
journeyman said:
I used an 8" screen for many years in split screen mode exclusively for years and here's my view.

It will do the job,
It is plenty big enough while seated at the helm.
You won't be able to see it (the sonar half) well while fishing aft.
The screen will actually be smaller depending on how you set up the information bar.
You won't be 20/20 forever!!!
:lol:

I also have an 8" screen , flush mounted, and it has been fine for me. It is a touch screen so in split screen form I can just make one side or the other larger or smaller or make it full on depth or full on navigation with a touch of the finger. Works fine for me.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have dual displays 12" and 8.4". Like most things in live, bigger is better but for split screen I'd agree that the smaller one is about the smallest you can go.
I'd prefer two smaller displays versus one mid size that I split.

zimm

Reaction score
With your budget, you're stuck with a 7". I went with a SIMRAD 7" because the 9" was double the cost. I maximize screen size by using the smallest info bar. I could have went with two 7's and that would be ideal for using GPS and sonar at the same time. I went trolling for the first time with my set up and split screen was a little too hard to read. I left it up sonar only and ran all the gear (4 umbrella rigs) into a underwater cliff! It took 45 minutes to unsnag everything. The bottom went from 70 to 10 feet in about a boat length and I didn't see it because the chart wasn't up. So back to split screen in unfamiliar waters for me.

If budget wasn't an issue- I'd get a couple of 9 or 10's, you can't ever have too much screen size!

Old Cypress

Reaction score
I have asked the same question in the past. The answer I got was as big as you could afford. As I continue to get older ( I don't consider myself old yet) I am becoming more and more dependent on my glasses to see up close to read, this includes GPS screens. Tying knots in small fishing line is even more fun, especially with a little chop on the water.

I have a Garmin 740S on my 222 Fisherman and usually leave it in the GPS mode when running offshore and when we get were want to be switch to Sonar. I would love to have a larger GPS unit and or 2 units, but the budget won't allow me to do that. I know that doesn't answer your question but gives you something to think about. Maybe one day I will upgrade but at this point I am very happy with what I am currently using.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
You should be able to buy 2 7" HDS units within you budget is you search. I Just sold for $300 a 'minty' 7" HDS unit with all wires but no ducer.

So if you look around you can have bigger and be within budget.

generalee

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A little over a year ago I purchased a Lowrance HDS 8, Gen 2 (8 inch) combo unit. Several considerations resulted in that decision. One being budget and another being it was the maximum screen size I could fit into the storage enclosed/lockable space at the helm. I did not consider but later learned I could adjust the split screen size on multiple display options and save the screen split choice for a push button change. That allows during travel to and from fishing sites to show a screen with larger amount of space dedicated to GPS data display with smaller Fish Finder data. Once arriving at the target location I can push a button and switch to a screen split with a larger amount of space dedicated to Fish Finder data. Pretty nice feature when only using one unit. Now if it only had "Chirp" I would be satisfied (at least temporarily). Can add that feature with a new transducer and the Sonar Hub "black box" for around $700. Considering that or a 7 " display mounted on dash.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
When we bought the boat new in 2002 the dealer installed a Lowrance LCX-15MT - a small black and white screen.

I upgraded it to an LCX-16C for color, then an LCX-19 for color and faster processor. About that time I moved from "inside the box" to flushmount.

The LCX-19 was then replaced by the much larger (10") LCX-112C, also flush mounted.

The next upgrade was to add a small Garmin to provide a backup GPS but mostly to receive XM weather. Replaced the Garmin with an HDS-7 and switched to Sirius weather. A few months ago I sold the HDS-7 and replaced it with a Simrad NSS8. These are mounted on an arm above the helm console.

Next replacement is an HDS-12m Gen 2 Touch and Sonarhub, to replace the LCX-112C. Also structure scan and chirp transducers to be installed at the next haulout.

So, from the original single 7" unit to a 12" and an 8". :D :D :D

Brian