What to look for

Glacierfloat

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hello

First timer here. I’m looking at a 1988 20’ overnighter w 1996 150hp Evinrude, unsure which model. Believe it has relatively low hours and used primarily in fresh water.

What should I be looking for for potential issues? More concerned about the hulk than the motor right now. Transom wear / damage? Worn flooring?

It’s a coworkers boat. I have no reason to think it’s anything but as described.

I plan to use it in all over NY & the Adirondack park, Hudson & Delaware Rivers, Great Lakes.

Thank you

Ozz043

Reaction score
Like any boat the majority of the value is the motor, electronics and trailer....then look at the gel coat to see if she’s been looked after, check any inspection hatches and have a good look at the transom, pull down on the engine (when raised) to see if it’s soaked. Don’t have one personally so I can’t give precise advice

seasick

Reaction score
Like any boat the majority of the value is the motor, electronics and trailer....then look at the gel coat to see if she’s been looked after, check any inspection hatches and have a good look at the transom, pull down on the engine (when raised) to see if it’s soaked. Don’t have one personally so I can’t give precise advice

I respectfully disagree. For well made boat brands, a lot of the value is in the hull. It is always better to buy a decent hull and have to add a new motor than but a piece of junk hull with a new motor.
A trailer may add value but it is quite difficult to determine a trailers condition especially when used in salt water areas. Galvanized trailers rot from the inside out and you can't see the corrosion. Unless the trailer is newish ( a few years at best and maintained), it will may need a lot of fixing. Lights, brakes, springs, bearings etc have fairly short lifespans. Electronics are expensive and should be taken into consideration. That said, the technology for plotters and sonars changes so fast these days that after several years, the technology is outdated and even worse, no longer supported by the manufacturer. Canvas, plastic, covers, cushions, bolsters can be very expensive to replace so take their condition into account.

My advice is always the same regarding how to approach a boat purchase; If it turns out that you bought a piece of crap that is a total loss AND you can easily handle the monetary loss, Great!
If the loss is going to hurt, you need to spend the bucks on a good marine survey and motor inspection.

There are things that a surveyor can't see too but he or she hopefully is aware of potential issues and can advise. For example, a surveyor may tell you that at the current age, the gas tank may need to be replaced. OK, but the surveyor should also point out that your model boat needs to have the deck cut open to get to the tank. Would you think of that? Knowing the previous owner can be very helpful . Seeing how they cared for the boat ( is is clean, maintained and neat) can help you guess that they probably also maintained the mechanicals.

Reactions: Ozz043

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd get a survey completed by a reputable and referred firm. The hull is 30 years old which should be a concern and a catalyst to get the survey. Specific areas to check: Motor: compression, lower unit oil inspection, condition of internals (does it look cared for), hours (compare to helm controls), service records - were all the routine things done per schedule (oil, plugs, tstats, water pumps etc), if you can drop the lower unit (would need to change the lower unit oil if you do), inspect props. Hull: stringers, transom, deck areas, sound the hull, water meter, condition of metal bump pieces, look for excessive brown stains around bolts and thru holes - indicates coring may be wet. Enclosure: general condition, zippers work and are tight, glass is generally clear and in good condition. Check that everything works, water, pumps, lights, head, winch, refer, a/c etc (if equipped). Sea trial the boat and run the engines at various speeds. Verify forward and reverse on each engine. Shift into gear a few times, listen for any abnormal noises. Check the operation, age and condition of electronics, is there a recent chart card - if not could be an indicator, all safety gear including pfds present and in data, anchor and rode are in good shape and adequate for the boat.

You basically are buying an old hull that likely has some issues. All boats do. You just don't want a nightmare. You want to get all the things that will cost you but the guy selling will throw in. If he is moving up, he'll likely want all new gear anyway, if he is getting out, he has no need for it. Then you want to pay attention to the boat and take care of issues that arise. If you are handy, you can start to be proactive and start to look for future issues and address on your schedule. Most of all do the proper maintenance in the fall and spring. You want to maximize your time on the water and minimize your frustration. Good luck.

Reactions: cbartle60

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Realize this is an old post but really GREAT helpful information to any used boat buyer!

Thanks Fishtales!!