What would cause this and what would it take to fix it?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My guess is screws are over torqued. Would the windshield need to come off to fix this?
Ballpark cost?
View attachment 163942020-10-05 10.16.00.jpg2020-10-05 10.16.00.jpg

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
My first guess as to the cause is that the difference in expansion and contraction of the metal windshield frame and the fiberglass causes excessive stress on the mounting screws. It is also possible that there is excessive stress due to windshield frame movement from possible using it as a handrail when going and working forward or even just strong forces from wind. The mounting screws holes are common stress points since the screws themselves create a 'splitting' force when installed. It is possible that the holes in the frame are too tight (narrow) and don't allow any free movement of the frame around the mounting screws.

The simplest approach would be to grind out the cracks, sand the surrounding areas around the cracks and apply a epoxy filler, either pre made of made with epoxy resin and something like Cabosil. After curing and sanding, gel coat would be applied, possibly after a fairing compound and then sanded, polished and waxed. A decent fiberglass shop can make the cracks disappear. Don't try to fill the cracks without the grinding process, the filler will fail. The cracks need to be opened a bit to expose fresh fiberglass on both sides and the bottom of each crack.

One thing that might concern me is that the cracks may be new and developed quickly. Normally I would expect to see some rust bleeding near where the cracks meet the frame. Moisture will seep in and usually causes the screws to rust (crevasse corrosion). If the cracks developed quickly there might not have been enough time for the rust to weep yet.
Regarding the removal of the windshield; That might be the needed approach especially if there is something structural going on other than normal expansion and contraction but that removal can be complicated and there is a good chance you will run into snags. I don't suggest that approach. Patching the cracks may last a long time but if it doesn't then you may need to think about frame removal.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Stress cracking - it's cosmetic only as it's the gelcoat, not the fiberglass. It happens (although not always) when a screw is put into gel/glass without a proper pilot hole and chamfering. The idea is to NOT let the screw heads touch the gelcoat. It's also possible that things shifted over time and now the threads are touching the gel.

The best way to "hope" to keep the cracks from continuing is to drill a small hole at the end of the crack - just barely into the glass - you really just need to be fully through the gel. That should at least keep them from growing. Then you can decide if you want to fix - Seasick's advice is spot on regarding grinding.

Removing a windhshield is actually pretty straight forward - just awkward. Parts are minimal for this - it's all labor. Roughly speaking... a couple hours to remove the windshield and maybe 1/2 to 1 hour per crack. Throw a couple more hours in there for good measure for final "beautification" and another couple to put the windhshield back on.

Or... drill the hole and live with them for $0.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks gents. Odd place to see that IMO, but I'm sure the details leading to the issue would explains lot.
Should I be worried about water intrusion?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Mod, looks like I had a double post and double images. Please combine and or delete one.
BTW, if there is any way to streamline adding photos with an Android phone, it would be a great improvement.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd fill as seasick indicated. If you take the windshield off, you may end up over tightening and causing the same condition. Just my 2 pennies.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks gents. Odd place to see that IMO, but I'm sure the details leading to the issue would explains lot.
Should I be worried about water intrusion?
Actually, not all that odd. But then it depends on how many boats you see! :) It's aesthetic only - no worries about water getting through that crack and into the glass when above the waterline.

Windshield removal seems daunting if you haven't done it much - but it really is pretty easy. If you want to fix the crack, you'll never fix it completely w/o removing the windshield. Way to awkward to work with the windshield in the way.

seasick

Reaction score
If you have to remove the glass to get to the mounting screws, removal can be a challenge and reseating the glass may be difficult if reusing the original rubber.