What Year did GW stop using wood

Captain Hellzy

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Curious about when they stooped using wood in stringers and transoms, current website states composite materials only but does anyone know what the final year wood was used?

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Curious about when they stooped using wood in stringers and transoms, current website states composite materials only but does anyone know what the final year wood was used?
So.... When making my purchase of the 2001 Seafarer I made several call so to Grady white Corporate customer service. They were super good to deal with. I asked that same question and I was told that 1998 was the year the conversion started

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have a 2013 228 and I can assure you she has wood in the transom, on the dash and on the gunwale.

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 228 Seafarer does not have any wood exposed. Can't answer about stringers.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Call customer service. 98 is when they went to green board which is still wood, but very rot resistant. All composite was around 13 or so. Again, call CS and report back.

Fishtales

Reaction score
They phased it out slowly and don't talk about it much because everyone (incorrectly from my perspective) thinks wood is bad in boats. Done right it is fin but there is such a marketing campaign out there these days.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Family affair is right. It is all green board since 98, but glassed over before building the transom.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Technically is Greenwood XL. It's better than Marine plywood in terms of rot resistance. It still could absorb water if they didn't glass it in right. I am not too worried about my boat. Then I venture over to THT and realize my boat is rotting from under my feet as I write this post. In fact I am hesitant to even put her in the water this year.

Reactions: brdawg2001