What "year" is a grady?

awp

Reaction score
When I registered my new 208 with the state where I live after filling out their questionnaire including serial number, etc., they sent me a registration card that said I owned a '99 208, but I had purchased a 208 from a boat reseller that was listed as a '00 with '00 outboard.

I contacted Grady about it and gave them the serial number of the boat and they told that the boat was made/produced/completed in July '99 and then shipped to a dealer who sold it in March '00. Hence the previous owners of the boat called it a '00 GW 208 with a '00 Yamaha 200 HP OX-66.

I checked values with NADA before purchase using the '00 year to determine value. But now if things change and I actually have a '99 208, then I lose some value in terms of NADA for resell and I am wondering if I need to contact the dealer I bought it from with my concerns or is this a non-issue.

Fat chance anything will happen to make this right now, but my intent is warn others of this problem and my question is how do you determine the year of a GW and it's outboard?

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
On the starboard side of the transom just below the hull cap is your HIN (Hull identification number). The last two digits are the official "Model Year" of your boat. IF the last two numbers are "99" then your boat is a 1999 model year. If the last two numbers are "00" then it's a 2000 model year.

N ow, the engine is a different story....You can look on the manufacturer plate to see if it lists it there but you will probably need to pull the model and serial number and match the last two letters to the model year code for that manufacturer.....FYI...Outboards no longer come with model year designations....

Now, if your bill of sale says you bought a 2000 model year boat and , in fact, it is a 1999 you MIGHT have some recourse with the dealer for the difference in depreciated value on the HULL only.......However, you bought used and you are required to know what you are buying. I'm not sure at this point if you have a claim.

Also, most times boats produced in July are actually the next model year....But not always....Check you HIN...Then you'll know..

Reactions: Lt.Mike

awp

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

'00 were the the last two characters of the HIN, but the year of the outboard was printed on the starboard side of the motor as 6/99. On the port side of the outboard the serial number and other information noted a "year code" of "X" for the year of 1999.

Sooo, guess "buyer beware" is applicable here as you noted. I'll probably contact the seller, but I don't really expect any help since it has been six months. I will also try to get the registration updated to indicate that it is in fact a '00 hull.

Thanks again for your prompt help.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The hull date is what you want to really look at. that will tell you when the boat was built. The engine will also have a year in it, but often, large companies order engines in bulk and may put an engine on that may be a few months older then the boat. If the boat is a 2000, and the engine is a 99, it is a late year 99 motor and was not sold or used until 2000. Also, that date on the engine is when it was finished being assembled in the factory, it may have sat there a little and then at grady. There is nothing wrong with that really, and it happens a lot with new boats just most boaters do not catch onto it. The important thing is that that engines warranty would not start until the boat and engine sell, so even if it is a leftover it will hold the same length of warranty, thats the most important thing if there is any warranty left or not.

Maguire208

Reaction score
From what I've been told your grady's HIN's should look something like this- NTLAD(xxx)G900
NTL-Grady's manufacturer code
AD-Adventure model
xxx-your hull's serial #
G-This letter represents the month the boat was built (July)
9-The year it was built (1999)
00-The boats model year (2000)
Since the model year changeover occurs in july, your boat is a 2000. Your engine was manufactured only one month before the boat. I don't think it's a big deal, but this is certainly a part of the reason that Yamaha dropped model year designations on their engines.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Mine is NTLBL205A404. Any guesses what model "BL" means? (Bayliner?) Is it the 205th 205 built? Otherwise it is an '04 built in January 2004.

Maguire208

Reaction score
Yup, That's pretty much how I think it works. BL must be the code for the Tourn. 205. I don't think the letters need to necessarily stand for the model name. There are four different models named Tournament so they would have to be different anyway.
And your boat was the 205th 205 built, coincidentally. Remember that the 2004 model year began in July 2003 so they had time to build 204 before yours.

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When I registered my new 208 with the state where I live after filling out their questionnaire including serial number, etc., they sent me a registration card that said I owned a '99 208, but I had purchased a 208 from a boat reseller that was listed as a '00 with '00 outboard.

I contacted Grady about it and gave them the serial number of the boat and they told that the boat was made/produced/completed in July '99 and then shipped to a dealer who sold it in March '00. Hence the previous owners of the boat called it a '00 GW 208 with a '00 Yamaha 200 HP OX-66.

I checked values with NADA before purchase using the '00 year to determine value. But now if things change and I actually have a '99 208, then I lose some value in terms of NADA for resell and I am wondering if I need to contact the dealer I bought it from with my concerns or is this a non-issue.

Fat chance anything will happen to make this right now, but my intent is warn others of this problem and my question is how do you determine the year of a GW and it's outboard?

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Are you looking to resell it for a profit The last 2 #s of the vin is the year you’re should be 99 or 00 that has to match registration

seasick

Reaction score
Geez I almost fell for it again! 13 year old post risen from the grave.

Pighunter

Reaction score
If it was me I would just enjoy my new boat! How much difference could it be?