Where to mount VHF Radio?

BosMarlin

Reaction score
2001 Marlin - I don't like the setup for my electronics. When I'm underway, the door falls down, and the visibility is not great with the device set back in the box.

Dashboard 1.png

I'd prefer for it to look something like this:

dashboard 2.jpg

I've already taken the doors off, plan to cut a piece of plastic and mount the GPS/Fish finder and VHF as you see in the second pic albeit a bit less seamless. Any suggestions or potential issues that I should incorporate into the plan?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have similar on my 265. Door always falls too...
I prefer the radio(s) up top out of the way. Don't really need to look at it. That keeps the mic cord off the dash and away from the steering wheel

As for a flat panel, I'm back & forth on it. I love that cubby for printed manuals, phones & wallets and a bag of chips. would hate to lose it and waste all the space in there.
On the other hand, I have a second gps/ff display up top and it sucks looking up. I've been thinking about side by side displays on a flat panel.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just throwing out another idea... a "black box" VHF. The idea is that the box/brains is hidden away and the mic controls all features. The only thing you would see is a mic and it's cord, being plugged into a small "outlet" mounted somewhere around the dash. There are units designed specifically for this, but many VHF models have an option for a "control all" mic. It's nice as it keeps the dash cleaner looking and the outlet can be mounted just about anywhere - including down low or a side wall.

An example (although the separate speaker isn't totally necessary as the mic does have a speaker):
269021_p_t_640x480_image08.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have mine above in the hardtop starboard section. Single piece slip up door with a strap that holds it up. Mounted the mic outside and have a 6" speaker in the port hardtop side. The cord is out of the way and not bouncing all around. I can see the settings fine. Are you really using the radio all that much? I check the weather and do an auto radio check at the dock and then only use it when talking to buddies fishing/on the water now and then and when coming into port hailing for a mooring and a taxi ride in. I think it is best to get high and out of the way. Just my 2 pennies.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
I have similar on my 265. Door always falls too...
I prefer the radio(s) up top out of the way. Don't really need to look at it. That keeps the mic cord off the dash and away from the steering wheel

As for a flat panel, I'm back & forth on it. I love that cubby for printed manuals, phones & wallets and a bag of chips. would hate to lose it and waste all the space in there.
On the other hand, I have a second gps/ff display up top and it sucks looking up. I've been thinking about side by side displays on a flat panel.

I highly recommend the flush dash! I am thinking of flush mounting the radios in the overhead as well for the same reasons.

Attachments

• Dash8_zps437611f4.jpg
    Dash8_zps437611f4.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Did the same with dual displays on the flushmount dash but like the radio up and out of the way.