Which Freedom 255/275/285

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Hey everyone, I'm located in Sandy Hook New Jersey and getting ready to move up from my 17 DC to a 25- to 27-foot DC. I love Freedom line and am looking for a boat to run 20to 40 miles offshore in the summer to fish for Mahi at the Mudhole and Monster Ledge. I understand bigger is always better and that any of the ones I listed can do it in the right conditions, so I'm hoping to get some real-world owner feedback from guys near me who run their Freedoms offshore, my main concern is getting back in safely when I get caught in a thunderstorm/squall....The 255 falls more in line with my budget than the other two larger boats, but at 24'9" 8'6" beam 4700 dry I'm concerned it is too small and too light for my intended use. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
For that distance of running to fishing grounds, I highly suggest twin outboards. Outboards are very reliable now but the twins will help with redundancy and better running in sloppy conditions. I do 45 mile runs in single engine and dual engine boats and you can’t tell the difference until it gets rough out with wind and current going against you. This is specific to outboard planning hulls. Also, I would suggest a walk around GW versus a dual console primarily for wind and spray protection. Longs runs can take you through calm warm seas and then change in a minute to spray and windswept beam sea seas. I’ve seen happy crews quickly go to scared making long runs. 24’ hulls at that weight are fine on good days. 4600lbs hull is enough weight. Even a seafarer 228 with bracket is enough.

Reactions: PointedRose

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a repowered Freedom 307 for sale on Craigslist in New Jersey that you may want to consider.

Reactions: StevieFrompa

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
For that distance of running to fishing grounds, I highly suggest twin outboards. Outboards are very reliable now but the twins will help with redundancy and better running in sloppy conditions. I do 45 mile runs in single engine and dual engine boats and you can’t tell the difference until it gets rough out with wind and current going against you. This is specific to outboard planning hulls. Also, I would suggest a walk around GW versus a dual console primarily for wind and spray protection. Longs runs can take you through calm warm seas and then change in a minute to spray and windswept beam sea seas. I’ve seen happy crews quickly go to scared making long runs. 24’ hulls at that weight are fine on good days. 4600lbs hull is enough weight. Even a seafarer 228 with bracket is enough.
Thanks very much

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 275, love the boat but do wish it was bigger. I would say go with the 285 for the extra beam. Absolutely go with twins as mentioned above. My next one will probably be 307
Good luck!

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thanks, agree about the beam on the 275. Also, only 19 degree transom deadrise, do you find that sufficient in the ocean?? Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
It almost always comes down to money. Get the biggest you can comfortably afford. You know they call it Break Out Another Thousand for things that just happen, so don't cut yourself too close.

Merle106

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I live in Virginia Beach on the water, and dock my boat at my house on a lift. I fish primarily offshore from 40 to 80 miles out. I started with a 2014 Grady Freedom 275 with dual 150's this was a great boat for offshore, you had to pick your days, but it kept us dry, and warm in the winter, dry and cool in the summer. It was super economical the gas mileage and range was great. Kept it for three years, then I upgraded to the Grady 306 Canyon CC dual 300's beast of a boat, it handled the rough water like a champ, it is a fishing machine. I love everything about this boat, except when it got cold, I wasn't able to get a good curtain setup on this boat for cooler weather, and if the sea's got rough the boat handled fine, but you are getting wet. Had this boat three years, it was very similar to keeping up maintenance wise as the Freedom 275, good gas range and mileage, no problem getting 250 miles from a tank of fuel.

I upgraded this year to a Freedom 375 with triple 300's this is a whole different class of boat from the other two. With a 320 gallon fuel tank, and averaging .6 miles per gallon, my range was drastically reduced for offshore to 190 miles before empty, not a good thing when getting to the fishing ground and back is 160 miles. My trip to the Norfolk Canyon went from $500 to $1,000. But here are some of the advantages, and you pay for it. This boat is so comfortable to fish and travel in. The sunshade on the back is nice for deep drop fishing. The beam is much wider than the 275 or the 306, lots of room. The size and weight of the 375 makes it a dream boat to offshore fish. So as we all know the more comfort we want the more it costs. I have been incredibly pleased with all three of these boats, you can't go wrong with any of them for offshore fishing.

Hope that was helpful...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The 25 is more than enough boat to fish the Mud Hole & Monster Ledge. I did it in a 20 footer with a single 140 for 12 years. Pick your days.
You'll be at the pots in the Glory hole and Chicken canyon in no time...thats where the real mahi fishing is.

But.....Bigger is always better if you don't care about money... money for boat, money for dock, money for gas....more money....

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hey everyone, I'm located in Sandy Hook New Jersey and getting ready to move up from my 17 DC to a 25- to 27-foot DC. I love Freedom line and am looking for a boat to run 20to 40 miles offshore in the summer to fish for Mahi at the Mudhole and Monster Ledge. I understand bigger is always better and that any of the ones I listed can do it in the right conditions, so I'm hoping to get some real-world owner feedback from guys near me who run their Freedoms offshore, my main concern is getting back in safely when I get caught in a thunderstorm/squall....The 255 falls more in line with my budget than the other two larger boats, but at 24'9" 8'6" beam 4700 dry I'm concerned it is too small and too light for my intended use. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I just bought a 255 Freedom a week or so ago, downsizing from a 282 Sailfish. I love the 282, but a 255 fits our lifestyle and fishing needs better than the 282 these past few years. It will do what you're looking to do, very nicely, and I think a twin engine 255 Freedom with hardtop, fuel, water, fishing gear and one or two people, will weigh over 6000. She holds 135 gallons of fuel and 20 gal water. Just that adds over 1100 lb to the gross weight.

Evopro54

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Bigger is always better but the budget always wins - I moved down from a 27' Polar CC to the 255 Freedom this year. First Grady and I am impressed with the ride. There is no pounding at all. I routinely take it on 25-mile trips with confidence.

As Capt Bill said above, hardtop, fuel, water, gear it loads out quite heavy. Twin engine is a must have IMO.

Reactions: Capt Bill

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks, agree about the beam on the 275. Also, only 19 degree transom deadrise, do you find that sufficient in the ocean?? Thanks
The 19° deadrise has to do with the SeaV2 hull design. The tapering hull angle is what gives the Grady's their soft smooth ride. Very comfortable for off cruising shore.

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
The 25 is more than enough boat to fish the Mud Hole & Monster Ledge. I did it in a 20 footer with a single 140 for 12 years. Pick your days.
You'll be at the pots in the Glory hole and Chicken canyon in no time...thats where the real mahi fishing is.

But.....Bigger is always better if you don't care about money... money for boat, money for dock, money for gas....more money....
Thanks for this, we wound up with a Pursuit DC 265 which was what was available in our budget back in June in this crazy COVID market.