Who uses their generator?

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I am looking into which upgrades I want to tackle during the off season. I have already contracted to have a new enclosure made....that will cost about $2600. The only other problem I have now is with my generator. I have the Kohler 5e, and it will not stay running. I do not believe it is making enough voltage. It could be the regulator, but it needs a whole new control box. In reality, the whole unit needs to be pulled out and gone over top to bottom. My boat is a 2000, and the generator only has 4 hours. The unit looks decent, but the control box and the mounting plate are completely rusted out.

Who uses their generator on a regular basis? I hate to spend $2-3k fixing mine only to never use it. I know Grady recommends not running the generator when you are moving faster than 2500rpm....that cuts out a lot of time. Do people run their generators when they are fishing? It would be nice to have a cool cabin while drifting or anchored, but I don't know if I would like the extra noise.

devildogdad

Reaction score
well I have had my boat only a few weeks and every weekend has had small craft advisory, so I cant say what I have done in the past. I can tell you I upgraded specifically so I can have the genset and AC while out fishing.
As for not running the AC, I think you are wrong about that. You should not run on plane with the genset OFF and the valves OPEN. but there is NO problem running on plane with the everything going.

A 10 y/o generator with only 4 hours is not going to do well. They should be run at least every few months for half an hour or so . At least I do that with the backup generators at home.

chub2000

Reaction score
i just replaced mine bacause it was 8yrs old and only had 14 hours on it. i dont really use the new one, but i do run it so it doesnt have any problems like the old one...

dgreen1069

Reaction score
devildogdad said:
well I have had my boat only a few weeks and every weekend has had small craft advisory, so I cant say what I have done in the past. I can tell you I upgraded specifically so I can have the genset and AC while out fishing.
As for not running the AC, I think you are wrong about that. You should not run on plane with the genset OFF and the valves OPEN. but there is NO problem running on plane with the everything going.

A 10 y/o generator with only 4 hours is not going to do well. They should be run at least every few months for half an hour or so . At least I do that with the backup generators at home.

You are definitely right about a generator not doing well when not being used. I bought my boat this past year, and the generator was in it's current state when I bought it. I really like the idea of having a generator, I'm just trying to decide if the cost to repair or replace the unit is worth the benefits it provides.

Here is what my manual says: "The generator should not be used when an outboard engine speed is greater than 2500rpm. When the generator is not in use the intake seacock should be closed. At higher speeds excessive water may be forced into the generator cooling system causing water to back up into the exhaust manifold."

devildogdad

Reaction score
I will have to check my manual but the dealer said no problem running the generator when on plane. I will check after dinner..

devildogdad

Reaction score
I just checked the manual, it is like I said. You should close the seacocks when running and generator off. Specifically said you can run generator when underway. Mine is a Panda generator don't know if that makes a difference.
Also besides comfort the generator will charge the batteries, run the microwave and stove if needed...I got is to escape from the oppresive heat in Florida. I came real close to heat stroke on my old CC and decided I am too old for speed and prefer comfort.

If your boat is already wired for generator, and you have the seacocks, transfer switch etc, might as well get a new one.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to look at your manual. I'm guessing your boat is several years newer than mine. I'm not exactly sure when the diesel became an option, but the Kohler was the only generator option in 2000. I am assuming there was a design change that allows the generator to be used above 2500 rpm.

I do like the idea of having the generator...all the reasons you stated are good ones. Even up here in VA, the heat in the summer time can be brutal. I may have to bite the bullet and get a solid estimate on how much my generator will cost to repair.

devildogdad

Reaction score
repair or replace. if you repair it, you will still have the problem of not being able to use it while running, if you replace with the Panda you could then use it while running. Only downside so far is the exhaust clings to the side .you need to wash it off as soon as you get to the dock. i put a few extra coats of wax on that side so it comes off easy.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just got my Marlin a month ago and I saw the generator as more of a nice option but really didn't think I would use it to much. Now that I have it, I love it :praise . Being able to escape the heat while grabbing this or that out of the cabin when we are fishing/cruising is very nice. The girls enjoy heating up their offshore meals although cold pizza to me is the only way to go. The only down side to the generator I have notice is the noise. It's not that loud and you will get use to it, but you know it's running. If you're running 2 strokes you will probably notice it much less but I will put up with the noise all day to have that cabin A/C cranked!
I have the Panda as well. And thanks for the smoke comment devil, I was wondering how to deal with that smoke stain.
Nick

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
dgreen1069 said:
I know Grady recommends not running the generator when you are moving faster than 2500rpm....

Very first time I ever heard that :huh .. The only time I ever heard anything about running on plane when you have a genset is that the seacock must be closed when its not running..you risk flooding the unit with seawater.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
devildogdad said:
They should be run at least every few months for half an hour or so .

Its recommended they be run with a load for at least an hour EVERY WEEK.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
Gman25 said:
dgreen1069 said:
I know Grady recommends not running the generator when you are moving faster than 2500rpm....

Very first time I ever heard that :huh .. The only time I ever heard anything about running on plane when you have a genset is that the seacock must be closed when its not running..you risk flooding the unit with seawater.

It does seem strange, but that is what the manual says. Here is a link to the 2000 Marlin 300 manual: http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/manu ... arlin/300/

Generator operation is on page 7-11.

gulfcart

Reaction score
I have a Panda on my '08 Express... I have over 800 hours on it. Never had a problem running the Gen when at cruise speed or faster. I run it 3 days straight sometimes on trips.... Purrrs like a kitten.. I did hydro lock it once because I put a freshwater flush system in and opened the hose before gen was running. I had to pull the injector out to free it up. You need to have the valve shut if your cruising with generator off.

gradydriver

Reaction score
If you repair or replace the genny....and then not take the time to run it every month the new or repaired old one will not run very long....I like the guy with 800 hrs. on his he never has a problem because he keeps using it....USE IT OR LOSE IT.