Will your Grady float if capsized or swamped?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you followed the missing boat out of Port Canaveral and the plight of the two firemen. It was a 2001 24 Robalo and the USCG said it had no flotation. So, for those of us with boats 20 feet and over Grady claims basic flotation. One of the reasons I bought a Grady was it's seaworthiness coupled with foamed hull. I have been wondering, if the crap hits the fan, will the hull float enough to cling too?

I don't carry a life raft, but I have PFDs, EPIRB, handheld VHF, ditch bag with water in it, protien bars, sunscreen and such. I always said to myself if the boat capsizes it will provide a hull to cling too. By the way when I go offshore I have dock lines secured to the bow and midship cleats as a means to toss over the hull and provide a way to climb up and hold on.

Those guys being lost at sea with no trace of their boat is sobering. I deeply feel for those families and kids right now.

Ajon

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Followed the thread, made me think about safety refreash

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you followed the missing boat out of Port Canaveral and the plight of the two firemen. It was a 2001 24 Robalo and the USCG said it had no flotation. So, for those of us with boats 20 feet and over Grady claims basic flotation. One of the reasons I bought a Grady was it's seaworthiness coupled with foamed hull. I have been wondering, if the crap hits the fan, will the hull float enough to cling too?

I don't carry a life raft, but I have PFDs, EPIRB, handheld VHF, ditch bag with water in it, protien bars, sunscreen and such. I always said to myself if the boat capsizes it will provide a hull to cling too. By the way when I go offshore I have dock lines secured to the bow and midship cleats as a means to toss over the hull and provide a way to climb up and hold on.

Those guys being lost at sea with no trace of their boat is sobering. I deeply feel for those families and kids right now.

This tragedy certainly has most of us offshore boaters really thinking about safety. Many scenarios keep going through our heads trying to figure out the problems that could possibly stack up to end up with a boat like that being lost. I have not heard any reference to the weather that Friday afternoon when they turned up late for arrival, or if any other boats were fishing that general area at the same time and can report on the conditions that day. Truly a shocking tragedy, prayers go out to their family and friends. If there can be any silver lining in this, it will be that more boaters take the full precautions needed to save their lives in the event of an emergency on the water.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As much as I hate to admit this, I don't have a ditch bag. I've got flares and life jackets, dock lines all onboard, but are they ready to use and accessible during an emergency situation, not really. Life jackets are the closest, being over my head in the net, the rest of the stuff is neatly put away down in the cuddy under the cushions. With the situation down in Florida and Smokey bringing this up has give me pause. This could very well be me and my best friend. We often venture out 18-20 miles offshore of Charleston bottom fishing. He and I are both calm and rational guys and he's one of the few people I know I can count on if poo hits the fan. I've thought about a EPIRB and hand held VHF, and full on ditch bag, but done nothing about it. We are venturing out into Lake Erie and learning how to catch Walleye, that's a pretty big pond also and warrants the use of a ditch bag also. I've got a small fortune invested in fishing gear, my boat and my truck, but very little invested in my survival should something go wrong. Time to correct that!!!

Reactions: SirGrady226

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Funny I was thinking the same thing by keeping up with this on THT. There is a lot of gray area and discussion about flotation for the 2001 Robalos. Anyway was wondering if anyone has any real world knowledge on how the Grady's would handle this.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Funny I was thinking the same thing by keeping up with this on THT. There is a lot of gray area and discussion about flotation for the 2001 Robalos. Anyway was wondering if anyone has any real world knowledge on how the Grady's would handle this.
I honestly doubt my 226 would stay floating at the top having two 375lb outboards on the back, but I'm no expert.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Even if the boat sank, if they had the ability to float with anything, including life jackets, one would think they could be found, but likely a person floating that far out is like a needle in a haystack. These guys would have had good training and sense being firefighters. Makes me ponder as I would not have a much of their skill set........

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If I remember correctly, the "requirements" deal primarily with boats under 20'. Sterndrives need only have "basic flotation", whereas OB's are required to have "level" flotation. Level means the boat must stay, well, level - and not list excessively or turn belly up. Basic just means it has to stay afloat - most likely going nose-up. I don't recall if there is a "requirement" for boats larger than 20' to have one of those cert's - it may be a decision left to the manufacturer... which would certainly fall in line and explain the situation at hand with the Robalo. As far as the Grady goes, if Grady says it has "basic" flotation, then it should stay afloat - even with the engine(s).

Lsquared

Reaction score
I believe the cabin boats would fair much better should they tilt than a CC. The cabin filled with air would assist in keeping it afloat. I do know the hull under the seats have foam as I went in there just the other day looking for ways to change out all my hoses. As for survival...

have two type 1 vests(self righting for the head) they sit on the back of our respective chairs when we are under way. each has a strobe, whistle, mirror, and dye marker
the ditch bag is an ACR rapidditch , sits under my chair while underway and and has the following
handheld vhf, PLB, water, protein bars, hand held flares, 12GA flare gun,
my vhf is wired to the plotter for gps and can send a distress.
when i have more people onboard i take out the regular vests and put them under the gunnel for quick access.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the "requirements" deal primarily with boats under 20'. Sterndrives need only have "basic flotation", whereas OB's are required to have "level" flotation. Level means the boat must stay, well, level - and not list excessively or turn belly up. Basic just means it has to stay afloat - most likely going nose-up. I don't recall if there is a "requirement" for boats larger than 20' to have one of those cert's - it may be a decision left to the manufacturer... which would certainly fall in line and explain the situation at hand with the Robalo. As far as the Grady goes, if Grady says it has "basic" flotation, then it should stay afloat - even with the engine(s).
It's my understanding there are no requirements for boats over 20 feet to have floatation. I have been on 2 Contenders abd neither had foam. I am glad Grady does and it's partly why I own one. I think next spring I am going to upgrade my PFDs to type one. I only get a handful of days to see the sea but stuff can happen anytime. I fish out of Port Canaveral a lot and have been over the 8A reef, the weather buoy and beyond. I was trolling two years ago in 600 feet of water in the stream when I hit a wad of those packing straps they use on cardboard containers for things like big screen TVs. It was just under the surface and the wad o straps was 3-4 feet in diameter. Again, I was doing 5 knots prop turning at 1600 RPM. I immediately put the motor in neutral and inspected it. Got my PFD on and my mask and a cheap filet knife I keep on hand and jumped into the water to clear the prop. Had I hit that crap at speed I might have had to call a Pan pan and seatow at best and at worse used my EPIRB.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Besides PFDs and flares, get an EPIRB or PLB! I was a CG pilot for over 20 years and did many searches like this one as well as Probability of Detection (POD) research. We seldom if ever saw a POD for a person in the water (PIW) any better than 10%. Our goal was to saturate an area and get an 80% POD. Not feasible in a large area and also dependent on visibility and sea conditions. A 24 foot overturned hull is a very small target. A 406MHZ EPIRB or PLB results in immediate assistance and takes the "search" out of search and rescue (SAR). In water temps below 70 degrees, you also need some sort of survival suit, wet suit, coveralls, something to keep you warm. I've picked up survivors out of 80 degree water with severe hypothermia after only a day or two in the water. Stay with the hull, get out of the water if you can, and have a PLB, flares and a mirror. Not required, but if offshore, necessary!

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Like many on this site I followed the rescue mission closely and did a lot of thinking. We have a life raft, epirb, hand held radio, two mounted VHF with separate antennas, more type 1 life jackets than required, ditch bag, etc. I've been heading offshore fishing on my own boats for over twenty years. When I first started, I thought about "what-if" situations, after a year or two I got more comfortable and sort of stopped worrying and took things for granted. After this week, like many of you I have watched a few boat safety videos, will certainly inspect and perhaps upgrade our safety equipment and certainly will take a few more precautions.

I've made many mistakes on the water in the fifty years I've been on boats (I'm 52). Most of the time I've learned from these mistakes and I suppose it made me a better boater. I still leave the dock occasionally without the ditch bag to go for a quick ride in the bay, I rarely wear a life jacket, I rarely wear the lanyard connected to the key switch, etc. I plan on changing some of these bad habits immediately, especially on the two or three times a year that I go out by myself.

I have jumped off boats while underway a few times in my life (intentionally), mostly when I was a kid just screwing around and thankfully was never injured. About fifteen years ago we were cruising across the bay, heading out towards the inlet for a day of striped bass fishing on a cold overcast day in November. I was near the transom setting up the fishing gear and the boat rocked violently on a relatively calm bay. A large boat passed (I was not paying attention), the driver of our boat tried not to hit the wake head on and I was catapulted from the boat. I was wearing long johns, winter coat, etc and holding a new rod and reel at the time and did not want to let go, I also had those ugly white shrimp boots on at the time. When I was airborne, I remember screaming something. When I hit the water I remember kicking the boots off as I could not even keep my head above water. My concern was not drowning or suffering from hypothermia, it was getting hit by another boat as I was floating in the channel on a busy weekend morning. Thankfully the crew turned around within a minute and came back to me. I was sopping wet and cold, but I was fine (so was the rod and reel). We went back to the house, I showered, changed my clothes and went back out fishing for the day.

My point is that things can happen real fast with no way to anticipate. I feel that if you can keep your cool and most if not all of your safety equipment still functions, you have a pretty good chance of surviving. I can only imagine what went wrong on that trip. We can speculate all day and perhaps never get the answer.

Like others have mentioned or alluded to, I hope all Grady White boats will float regardless of age, condition, motor weight, sea conditions, etc. I for one think I'll just assume it won't float and try to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Had a good conversation with Smokey this morning concerning ditch bags and EPIRB's. Will probably pick up the kit from ACR as a starting point and add hand held, floating VHF, water, energy bars, air horn, rope and a few other things possibly needed. Really took for granted that it could happen to me.
Screenshot_20190823-142654_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: SirGrady226

seasick

Reaction score
I also believe the requirement for flotation is for hulls 20 foot and under. Regardless, A life jacket is only good if you are wearing it. In many cases, especially when there is a collision, passengers are thrown overboard and stunned or knocked unconscious. They often drown. I remember a Coast Guard instructor who quoted that it is preferable to wear a life vest, it makes their job of finding your body easier.
A decent share of accidental falling overboard happen when a hull gets rocked while one of the passengers is leaning over the gunnel for various reasons including taking a leak. Passengers who fall into the water often panic. They also may be weighted down bu shoes and gear.
I am as guilty as most folks. I don't always wear PFD when boating with others, but I always ask my passengers if they would like to wear a vest. I make sure that those who have never boated with me know what to do if someone falls overboard, and where the tossable is.
When out alone, depending on seas to a great extent and what I am doing, I usually put on an inflatable vest. Although those inflatable belly packs are less clumsy to wear, they don't have the same ability to right an unconscious person and hold their head above water.
With respect to the comment about cabin hulls providing extra flotation, I wouldn't bet my life on that assumption.
Cabins can be a death trap too. If I have passengers who want to wear a vest and also want to sack out in the cabin, I tell them to remove the life vest and keep it nearby. Young children are more of an issue. If a person is wearing a vest in the cabin and the boat overturns or quickly takes on water, they may get pinned to the floor or ceiling , unable to swim out of the space.
Many accidents are a result of dangerous operation, impaired senses and plain ignorance. I don't go out on my boat on certain holidays, too many nuts!
Sometimes, just plain S**T happens.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you are in the water, a handheld VHF FM is of limited use as it is basically line of sight.

suzukidave

Reaction score
given how large the open void bilge is between the main stringers in my 223 i think it sinks. i do like the foam in the gunwales though. i think mine will settle level and sink slow enough to give you some time to get out.

4lb foam adds buoyancy of around 50 lbs/cubic foot. for a 5000lb boat with a rated load capacity of 2000lbs, that requires over 140 cubic feet of dry foam positioned in such a way as to maintain lateral stability and fore and aft balance. after you deduct bilge, fuel tank coffin and lockers, there is not enough room in a some self bailing hulls for that much foam, especially in a cuddy cabin. i have been told cuddy cabins are a major reason the foam requirement only applies to boats under 20 feet.

that much foam will weigh over 500 lbs bone dry. an underappreciated detail with foam is that until you really need it, the weight of it actually decreases your freeboard.

my lesson from the port caneveral stuff is to install a bow roller and dig out the sharp fishing knife i used to always keep beside the helm seat. going through the scenarios, getting caught on their anchor somehow is high on my list.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
If you are in the water, a handheld VHF FM is of limited use as it is basically line of sight.
True, but if you're in the water and you see a boat or ship and you have a water proof handheld , you can hail them on 16. You're a tiny target in the big sea. The other thing is this. If you lose total power and your upright and in the boat, a handheld VHF radio again is better than no radio at all, especially if you are trying to hail a ship or perhaps rescue aircraft. You do you...I will carry a handheld . I own 2 of them and they both go with me when I am on any saltwater be it the intercoastal , the reefs in the Keys or offshore.

I don't worry going out..I do have immense respect for the sea. The sea often reacts to the atmosphere. If the atmosphere is nice , the ocean often is too. The problems of the sea happen when the atmosphere is dynamic. I can control my maintenance, where I put the boat and my crew (some), the rest is a dynamic state where anything can happen. As Captain Ron says, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen out there.

Reactions: mhinch and Ky Grady

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thinking of communication when rescue gets close??
Good point, but don't count on anyone hearing you by broadcasting in the blind. Just pointing out to those who may not know that it is line-of-sight.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
These photos were posted here a few years ago and also on THT. I don't know the story but had them saved in my phone for reassurance of the claimed positive buoyancy. Looking at them the boat does not appear fully swapped though, not sure if anyone see has the actual story and outcome.

A google search found this article of a 30' 306 CC that sank. Looks like it stayed above water, but barely

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/l...ly-rescued-after-boat-sunk-friday/1596962001/

hu3y3yqu.jpg ygaze7u4.jpg