Winch load rating

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a roller trailer for my ‘87 Overnighter 20 which weighs 2,550 + motor 470 for 3,020 lbs. total.
I’ve had a electric winch which I’ve never hooked power to just hand cranked it. The cable is looking worse than iffy now, it’s time for something new. The cable is frayed and greasy which is why I prefer strap winches so am considering a dual speed strap winch but the rating is 2,500lbs. I’d like to say that pulling a boat up a trailer requires a bit less than lifting it straight up. I should be good with a 2,400lb winch, right? :?:
Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's WAY more than enough. You'll have more weight once you add gas and toys, but 2,500 is still much more than is needed. The general rule is the winch would be approximately 1/3 of the total boat weight.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thank you Dennis.
1/3rd, going on that I could get by with a 2,000 or even a 1,500 winch. Going low won’t save that much money so I’ll stick with the heavier rated one with two speeds.
Sometimes that last few feet up the trailer can be a bear. The cable on the winch I’m using now has tons of small cracks in it. I noticed that on the last outing and when I got to those last couple feet I stopped and tied a line from the top cleat to the trailer in case it let go. Wasn’t a pleasant thought.
Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Wire cable is nice because it is so strong and still works pretty decent when somewhat damaged. But those little "frays" will find their way into your fingers at any opportunity they can!

Can't go wrong with a 2-speed. Slow as all get out, but much easier to turn.

Nylon straps will degrade in a few years due to UV - just something to be aware of. And they won't snap when the boat is still in the water and just coming onto the trailer - you know it will happen when the boat is wound all the way in! You can get by by cutting a couple feet off and tying it back onto the hook. FYI, there is a stronger strap - 'bout twice as strong as the grey ones... it's usually yellow and seems to last longer, too.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ve had pretty good luck with straps in the past and have never had them draw blood or grease up my hands like this damned cable does. It’s getting replaced before it decides to give the launch ramp peanut gallery a good video for YouTube.
I keep my baby in a carport out of the weather and sun so UV will be minimal. I went ahead and ordered the 2,500 lb rated winch with the wider 24’ strap and two speeds. It was only a $20 difference so it made sense to overkill it. Incidentally slow and easy works well for me these days. :wink:
Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Lt.Mike said:
I’ve had pretty good luck with straps in the past and have never had them draw blood or grease up my hands like this damned cable does. It’s getting replaced before it decides to give the launch ramp peanut gallery a good video for YouTube.
I keep my baby in a carport out of the weather and sun so UV will be minimal. I went ahead and ordered the 2,500 lb rated winch with the wider 24’ strap and two speeds. It was only a $20 difference so it made sense to overkill it. Incidentally slow and easy works well for me these days. :wink:
Mike

For $20, I'd do the same thing.

"Incidentally slow and easy works well for me these days." I'm getting there, as well... slowly... :) Starting to learn the meaning of "work smarter, not harder".

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yes you’ve hit on it, “work smart not hard” has become my catch phrase over the last year too.
Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
The winch arrived today and was a snap to install. It has a 3” wide strap and 2 speeds with a brake as advertised. Now this looks like a winch it doesn’t have the futuristic looks that the expensive models have but a 2,500lb 2 speed winch for $55.99 ain’t bad. I got it from Overton’s (Camping World NCDC).
The handle is large, comfortable and has a big swing to it.
Anyone need a winch this is a good one.
(Item# 315936)
Mike