Windlass Installation

dbrkr

Reaction score
I hope to install a Lewmar Profish 700 on my 97 Gulfstream 232 bow pulpit next month after I bring it home from its slip. My concern is the primary bow tiedown that sits right where the windlass should go. I believe the mounting bolt for that tiedown extends about 18" into the bow. No one seems to ever mention it in any of the posts, but I am at a loss as to how to handle the issue. Help?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The reason there is an 18" threaded rod is because it connects to the bow eye and enables the cleat to also be used as a lifting point. It just makes it a little easier to lift the boat than to lift it from the bow eye, is all. If it's in the way, you can remove the cleat and just add a backer to the bow eye -- if there isn't already one... or the existing triangle is in bad shape since, at least in my boat, the triangle was originally made from regular steel! I'm assuming your setup is similar - but you didn't mention it so I'm not sure. Take a look in there.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On my 228, I mounted the windlass further back, on the anchor locker hatch. I seldom anchor, and I left the lifting eye in place. So far no problems, the chain clears it when there is any tension on it.
Don’t you have port and starboard bow cleats, if you decide to remove it?

dbrkr

Reaction score
On my 228, I mounted the windlass further back, on the anchor locker hatch. I seldom anchor, and I left the lifting eye in place. So far no problems, the chain clears it when there is any tension on it.
Don’t you have port and starboard bow cleats, if you decide to remove it?
No side cleats, but can do. Looking to see what has worked for others.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Looking to see what has worked for others.
A windlass install is basically the same from one Grady model to another. Close enough as makes no difference, anyways. If you're handy, you would easily be able to transfer information from someone else's post to your situation. Search the forums - there's been enough threads on this where you should get a really good idea. But, essentially, cut a hole, move nav light if needed (possibly add side lights, instead), add anchor chute, reinforce and install windlass, wire according to instructions in the windlass manual. Don't worry - this one isn't rocket science by a long stretch!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a post on here doing what you are looking to do. I removed the lifting ring as well as it is not needed and would just be in the way. I can't recall where it was in regards to the windlass install, but think the windlass installed over it.